Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Tracked the car today. Everything went well. Drove the car to dinner and parked it for a few hours. When I started the car, got the message below. Tried shutting off the engine and then restarting the car several times, and still getting the message. Drove the car to the hotel with the message still there, and it seems to be running normally in all aspects. Second day of the track event is tomorrow. Is it ok to track the car with this message? It says "driving permitted", but I don't know if that includes track driving. Advice appreciated.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 AM
Mass_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it says driving permitted then it means that the fault is not that big of a deal because i have learned that the porsche on board computer is incredibly sensitive to anything. However, I would not risk it and have them void you warranty cause of it.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:37 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Curious, what is message 2/2?

Dan (would 'consult a workshop')
Old 05-31-2015, 03:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Since I don't have a definitive answer to your question I have nothing to base this on except a gut feeling. But if it were my car, and I got that message, I wouldn't track the car until the issue was resolved.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not gotten this message yet. It may resolve itself by tomorrow. If not, try tracking it and if the car does not like it, it will give you a "Reduced power or performance mesg" which would effectively end your session.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

An Engine control system supposed to receive constantly
datas for any reason did not receive from a sensor temporarely

which sensor had a temparary lack of datas workshop will tell

but nothing serious, to translate it
Hey i couldn t receive all the info i need for a while
would you rev to 9k rpm not being 100% sure all parameters are fine?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would not track it until a tech has plugged in and determined what codes it is throwing. Are you at the Glen PCA event? I can put you in touch with someone if so.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the advice. Fingers crossed that the message will be gone when I start the car this morning (second message is just tire pressure low). If not, I'll ask around the paddock if someone can plug in see what the issue is (I'm at Summit Point [Shenandoah] with PCA). If we can't plug, I may try some easy laps, staying away from 9K, and see how that goes. Worst-case scenario is that I don't drive it today, and drive wife's Cayman instead.

BTW, the car is awesome at this track, which has about 20 turns in 2.2 miles, lots of elevation change and off-camber stuff, some places where yaw angle is definitely your friend. Basically, an autocross where you can hit 130 mph. Took another instructor out for a ride and it blew it his mind.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly, answers all over the board. This may be as simple as an emissions thing. I have tracked my car in the past with messages that said "driving possible/permitted" and later found them to be irrelevant issues. Anything fractionally more serious would give a "reduced engine performance-driving permitted" message. While I can't advice you, I personally would drive it on track with this message. The car's electronics are sophisticated enough that if there is anything potentially harmful, it would not allow full RPM driving.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Just what Sam said and go with your original thoughts. Take some slower laps then build up from there.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:34 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Clearly, answers all over the board. This may be as simple as an emissions thing. I have tracked my car in the past with messages that said "driving possible/permitted" and later found them to be irrelevant issues. Anything fractionally more serious would give a "reduced engine performance-driving permitted" message. While I can't advice you, I personally would drive it on track with this message. The car's electronics are sophisticated enough that if there is anything potentially harmful, it would not allow full RPM driving.
I found that in my 3.8L Cayman that when we lost an injector a few weeks ago it didn't shut down the bad cylinders go into limp mode until I was driving sufficiently slow enough (i.e. the cooldown) at the end of 40 minute session. If you're going to drive it, I would do a couple of laps at 8/10ths or so and then slow down/pull into the pits and let it run/idle for a bit.

Turning the car off with the bad injector and switching it back on would result in the injector being reactivated. I could drive the car fast again and it wouldn't go into limp mode until I was going around 50mph and low rpms again. I had 2 techs with me so we were trouble shooting the problem but tread cautiously if you're going to keep driving it.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Last week I had the same engine code flash.

Went to dealer, O2 sensor!
They told me ignore it, because I am running Tubi exhaust with GIAC Stage 2, they said it going to keep coming on intermintaly.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Find somebody at the event with durameteric or obd scanner and pull the codes/faults. You would at least have an idea of what triggered the code. Without this info, I agree with everyone and wouldn't track it. You might be fine with normal driving, but tracking is pushing the engine to the limit.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:56 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I find nice to have an ODB Scanner just to avoid needing to go to the dealer for a minor problem.

I have a GoPoint BT1 Bluetooth dongle always plugged in which in turn is accessed from my iPhone.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the input.

Message was still there upon starting the car this morning. Found somebody at the track with a scanner and code was P2279, Intake Air System Leak. That fit with a subtle hissing sound from the engine on the driver's side. We took off the engine cover thingy (the one with the fans) and looked around, but didn't see a source of leak.

Talked with several knowledgeable people, and all concurred that if it was their car, they'd go ahead and track it. We cleared the code, I tracked it all day, and it ran like normal, with the message not coming back. Had heavy rain which shut down the track, parked the car for over an hour, and when I started it, the message came back. Interesting that when I first got the code yesterday, the car had also been sitting for a while (~3 hrs). Totally speculating, maybe the amount of leak was affected by engine temperature?

Anyway, will take it to the dealer tomorrow to have them investigate.

As an aside, since I assume it's totally unrelated, when I parked the car and the rain started, I closed both windows. Turned out that the passenger-side window decided to go down half way, letting a lot of rain into the car (someone else spotted it). I put the window up, and found that it went down half way again. Kept doing that, so I put the window down all the way, then back up, and it finally stayed up. Very weird ...

New Porsche slogan: "There is no substitute, but definitely not perfect either."

But to end on a positive note, I took several people for ride-alongs, and "amazing" was the word nearly everyone used to describe the car.

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?