Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan, I experience exact same results with Durametric. Code 11 for ecu and no connect to pdk. Other modules seem to connect properly. Have contacted Durametric and they know of problem. Apparently Porsche changed coding, probably to make life more difficult for independents. Working on it. Tom
Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Well, I was forced to test out the durametric on the car yesterday. The car threw a code as I was just cruising to a friend's house at 30mph.

Durametric connects and partially works, but it won't give me an exact read on the code and it would not clear it either

I used generic obd2 scanner and got p2181. The scanner couldn't reset the code either.

P2181 seems to relate to the cooling system. The temps are reading normal, though. I've had a light trigger once telling me the coolant temp sensor failed, but it disappeared on its own.

I disconnected the battery overnight and now the code is gone. Took the car for a drive and it runs fine with coolant temps normal. No repeat light either.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,784 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Looks like an appropriate scan tool should come as standard equipment with this car.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Looks like an appropriate scan tool should come as standard equipment with this car.
What, and put dealers out of business?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Durametric released 6.5.1.1 on June 4th which has a 'Correction of system not responding' in it. Hopefully that solves my locking up issue.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm looking at getting a Durametric, but wouldn't mind also having a simple scan tool which doesn't require a computer. Any recommendations?
Sorry- didn't see this thread before now, I usually stick to the 996 GT3 section!

I was the one who pulled the codes from your car at Shenandoah. I used the OBDLink LX Bluetooth reader, but it does require an android phone to run the software.

Before you buy the Durametric, remember that we tried that first, and it didn't show anything at all. Not sure if they've added support for your car yet.

-Larry
Old 06-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,784 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Originally Posted by LIS
Sorry- didn't see this thread before now, I usually stick to the 996 GT3 section!

I was the one who pulled the codes from your car at Shenandoah. I used the OBDLink LX Bluetooth reader, but it does require an android phone to run the software.

Before you buy the Durametric, remember that we tried that first, and it didn't show anything at all. Not sure if they've added support for your car yet.

-Larry
Hi Larry, thanks again for the help! Interestingly, I've done two track days with the car since that event, and the code hasn't returned. Weird, but good I guess. I'll likely get a reader similar to yours, since if I get codes again at a track event, seems that there's always someone there with a Durametric or other reader.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorting out an issue with my '14 now. Was at The Glen and when rounding turn 11 the car dove into limp mode. It displayed an error with the "possible to drive on" text. I checked the error code with my OBD reader and it came back as a 0304: misfire in cylinder 4. Had my mechanic look things over, reset this, and tried a drive at 6/10s. Happened again.

Since then, it's been at the dealership. They have duplicated the problem with RPMs above 8000 and sent off analogues to PCNA who then forwarded it to the mother ship. A leak down has been done and sent off. Compression was "normal" but a bore scope showed oil in the cylinder. Swapped coils and plugs. Same issue. Now awaiting a company-dispatched engineer to see the engine that has been dropped out, as of today.

The car has been great since I picked it up new last September, after the engine swap out. I did the conservative 2000 mile break in followed by an early oil change. Then started to lightly track it using automatic mode only (no over revs). It has 8500 miles on it, of which, maybe 400 are on the track. It did need a thermostat replaced this May.

I will keep the community up to date on this one.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by vtxdrew
I am sorting out an issue with my '14 now. Was at The Glen and when rounding turn 11 the car dove into limp mode. It displayed an error with the "possible to drive on" text. I checked the error code with my OBD reader and it came back as a 0304: misfire in cylinder 4. Had my mechanic look things over, reset this, and tried a drive at 6/10s. Happened again.

Since then, it's been at the dealership. They have duplicated the problem with RPMs above 8000 and sent off analogues to PCNA who then forwarded it to the mother ship. A leak down has been done and sent off. Compression was "normal" but a bore scope showed oil in the cylinder. Swapped coils and plugs. Same issue. Now awaiting a company-dispatched engineer to see the engine that has been dropped out, as of today.

The car has been great since I picked it up new last September, after the engine swap out. I did the conservative 2000 mile break in followed by an early oil change. Then started to lightly track it using automatic mode only (no over revs). It has 8500 miles on it, of which, maybe 400 are on the track. It did need a thermostat replaced this May.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your story. Will definitely be watching this closely!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please do. My prediction is that they will replace your engine...
Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 AM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there's a new engine on the way from Germany. At least one of the issues identified was a worn groove in the cam shaft.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got this same fault on my 15' GT3 yesterday. Going to keep my fingers crossed it was a fluke and won't be there today. I did turn-off/restart a few times yesterday with no resolution. I have noticed "puttering" if you will on start-up after its been a few days without driving. Once even stalled out. I was attributing this to the cam they put in these things and also for not starting it for 5-7days at a time.

Next step is hooking up the Durametric and see what I get back. :/
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a couple of PMs with other Durametic owners and I've spoken with the Durametric guys on the phone. 6.5.1.1 does not fix the 991 GT3 compatibility issue - I tried it. When I was speaking with Durametric, the tech suggested that any time I use the Durametric on the GT3 if I enable the communications log and have an Internet connection, the software will send the comm log to Durametric. A few comm logs will help them decode the communication protocol for the GT3.

If all of the Durametic owners enable the comm log, especially when a code is present, we might get a solution from Durametic a bit sooner.

Ryan
Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, there's a new engine on the way from Germany. At least one of the issues identified was a worn groove in the cam shaft.
This kind of thing scares the **** out of me. How do you get a worn groove in the camshaft so early without there being larger issues, notably design issues? I assume you're running "normal" oil?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:52 AM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

There's been quite a few people here who have run into engine issues early on. Have they provided you a shop bill with total cost even though it's under warranty? Just to put it into perspective once warranties begin to run up in a few years on .1's.

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?