Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would not track it until a tech has plugged in and determined what codes it is throwing. Are you at the Glen PCA event? I can put you in touch with someone if so.
one of the red GT3's from Ontario at the Glen PCA event last week had the same error message, had an OBD II scanner clear it and went ahead and ran it the rest of the event..he thought it may be another thermostat gone bad?

I will second the wifi or bluetooth OBD scanner that works with an iPhone (ELM 327
Amazon.com : ELM327 WIFI Wireless ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool Adapter for Smartphone / PC / iOS / iPhone/ iPad/ iTouch /Mac : Car Electronics Amazon.com : ELM327 WIFI Wireless ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool Adapter for Smartphone / PC / iOS / iPhone/ iPad/ iTouch /Mac : Car Electronics
)

plus Dash Command..https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...321293183?mt=8
Old 05-31-2015, 09:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks guys for the input.

Message was still there upon starting the car this morning. Found somebody at the track with a scanner and code was P2279, Intake Air System Leak. That fit with a subtle hissing sound from the engine on the driver's side. We took off the engine cover thingy (the one with the fans) and looked around, but didn't see a source of leak.

Talked with several knowledgeable people, and all concurred that if it was their car, they'd go ahead and track it. We cleared the code, I tracked it all day, and it ran like normal, with the message not coming back. Had heavy rain which shut down the track, parked the car for over an hour, and when I started it, the message came back. Interesting that when I first got the code yesterday, the car had also been sitting for a while (~3 hrs). Totally speculating, maybe the amount of leak was affected by engine temperature?

Anyway, will take it to the dealer tomorrow to have them investigate.

As an aside, since I assume it's totally unrelated, when I parked the car and the rain started, I closed both windows. Turned out that the passenger-side window decided to go down half way, letting a lot of rain into the car (someone else spotted it). I put the window up, and found that it went down half way again. Kept doing that, so I put the window down all the way, then back up, and it finally stayed up. Very weird ...

New Porsche slogan: "There is no substitute, but definitely not perfect either."

But to end on a positive note, I took several people for ride-alongs, and "amazing" was the word nearly everyone used to describe the car.
Awesome, glad it didn't ruin your track day. I think you are right about temps. My guess is that the leak is very small (?fitment/?gasket) and as temps go up, "something" expands and seals the leak. Let us know what they find. Cheers!

Oh, and I've had this window thing happen many times, when it thinks someone's neck is in the way and retracts downwards on its own.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome, glad it didn't ruin your track day. I think you are right about temps. My guess is that the leak is very small (?fitment/?gasket) and as temps go up, "something" expands and seals the leak. Let us know what they find. Cheers! Oh, and I've had this window thing happen many times, when it thinks someone's neck is in the way and retracts downwards on its own.
Yes I have had it too. Something like Sam says. It's a system to prevent arm or dogs neck getting stuck. I think the rain may have just falsely the sensor. It happened to me only once after I left window down at pit lane too and took three goes to get back up!

The air leak is likely a vacuum leak. There are a myriad is small rubber joints that attach to steel tubes under the top engine tray. Many are pressurised to operate systems and designed to maintain pressure (I.e. Vacuum ) when the engine is switched off. It's possible for these to get loose. I think you just have a vacuum leak in one of these. As soon as you started the car up it would have rebuilt the pressure.

Every track day someone comes to me and asks for a passenger ride. You must have a cage to be allowed to do this in NZ. Every single time they walk away in awe - even if they have been taking rides all day in all manner of great gear. Not a single person hasn't babbled about it all day :-)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome, glad it didn't ruin your track day. I think you are right about temps. My guess is that the leak is very small (?fitment/?gasket) and as temps go up, "something" expands and seals the leak. Let us know what they find. Cheers!

Oh, and I've had this window thing happen many times, when it thinks someone's neck is in the way and retracts downwards on its own.
Originally Posted by Macca
Yes I have had it too. Something like Sam says. It's a system to prevent arm or dogs neck getting stuck. I think the rain may have just falsely the sensor. It happened to me only once after I left window down at pit lane too and took three goes to get back up!

The air leak is likely a vacuum leak. There are a myriad is small rubber joints that attach to steel tubes under the top engine tray. Many are pressurised to operate systems and designed to maintain pressure (I.e. Vacuum ) when the engine is switched off. It's possible for these to get loose. I think you just have a vacuum leak in one of these. As soon as you started the car up it would have rebuilt the pressure.

Every track day someone comes to me and asks for a passenger ride. You must have a cage to be allowed to do this in NZ. Every single time they walk away in awe - even if they have been taking rides all day in all manner of great gear. Not a single person hasn't babbled about it all day :-)
Makes sense on the window. Though pretty silly design that rain can fake out the sensor and thereby let more rain into the car. Technology run amok!

Among my ride-alongs, one was an instructor who said that he's ridden in lots of other GT3s (prior gens), but they were nothing like the 991 GT3. The only handling trait I can complain about is significant understeer in very tight corners - I guess it's still a 911, despite the RWS, etc. But since the car is relatively balanced everywhere else, I think I'll leave the sway bars, etc. where they are, and I'm not a fan of running a higher a tire pressure in the back and giving up rear grip in order to make the car looser as a means to counter understeer.

Getting back more to the thread topic, does anyone have any recommendations on scan tools? Seems like there are many options, such as this one:
Amazon.com: BlueDriver - Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone®, iPad®, Android: Automotive Amazon.com: BlueDriver - Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone®, iPad®, Android: Automotive
Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Durametric is your best solution. Anything else is a compromise with these cars. There some lights you just can't reset without one.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had similar random codes thrown and cleared them myself. Made it a bit harder for the dealer to work with, since they can't do anything without the codes in there.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Durametric is your best solution. Anything else is a compromise with these cars. There some lights you just can't reset without one.
Do you find the durametric software flakey? Mine crashes quite a lot when using it to read settings on the car but I was hoping its just my Windows VM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Do you find the durametric software flakey? Mine crashes quite a lot when using it to read settings on the car but I was hoping its just my Windows VM.
I haven't had any problems with durametric yet.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

I haven't had any problems with durametric yet.
What version of windows and is it a physical machine or a VM? I'm on 8.1.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

As an update on this, dropped the car off at the dealer with the message still there. Car sat at the dealer at least a day, and when they started it, no more message, and no record of the message having been there when they did a scan. I'll be tracking the car tomorrow and will see how that goes.

No findings related to the window issue either. Maybe the sensor just got confused by water somewhere. In the future, I'll be locking the car with windows up, can't take a chance with this.

I'm looking at getting a Durametric, but wouldn't mind also having a simple scan tool which doesn't require a computer. Any recommendations?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

What version of windows and is it a physical machine or a VM? I'm on 8.1.
It works with my windows. Durametric is just a plug that goes into your obd2 port and connects via usb to your computer. Software is free. You pay for the cable.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

It works with my windows. Durametric is just a plug that goes into your obd2 port and connects via usb to your computer. Software is free. You pay for the cable.
Yeah sorry, I meant what version of windows are you running their software on? I'm wondering if my problem is a too new version of windows or because it's running in a VM on my Mac.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah sorry, I meant what version of windows are you running their software on? I'm wondering if my problem is a too new version of windows or because it's running in a VM on my Mac.
I just sent Orthojoe the following, didn't want to hijack the thread to talk about Durametric tools.

"Saw on the forum you use a Durametric cable. I've got a current version Durametric Cable, running software version 6.5.1.1.

It works great with my 981 Cayman R.

When we took delivery of our 2015 GT3 I tried it out and had little success. Figured by the time I really needed it Durametric would have some basic support. When connected to my GT3 it shows only a module ID of 11 for the Engine/ECU identifying information, it doesn't seem to read fault codes (currently have the Engine Control Fault, Consult a Workshop, Driving Permitted fault).

If I select the PDK it says it can't communicate with that module. There are a few other modules listed that it also gives this error.

Have you tried your Durametric on your GT3? Has your experience been significantly different than mine?"

I am running the Durametric PC software on a Sony VIAO with Windows 7.

Ryan
Old 06-04-2015, 10:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I've gotten durametic to work on windows 7 and 8

Originally Posted by reidry
I just sent Orthojoe the following, didn't want to hijack the thread to talk about Durametric tools.

"Saw on the forum you use a Durametric cable. I've got a current version Durametric Cable, running software version 6.5.1.1.

It works great with my 981 Cayman R.

When we took delivery of our 2015 GT3 I tried it out and had little success. Figured by the time I really needed it Durametric would have some basic support. When connected to my GT3 it shows only a module ID of 11 for the Engine/ECU identifying information, it doesn't seem to read fault codes (currently have the Engine Control Fault, Consult a Workshop, Driving Permitted fault).

If I select the PDK it says it can't communicate with that module. There are a few other modules listed that it also gives this error.

Have you tried your Durametric on your GT3? Has your experience been significantly different than mine?"

I am running the Durametric PC software on a Sony VIAO with Windows 7.

Ryan
Yikes! Now that you mention it, I don't think I've tested the durametic on the GT3. Haven't needed to connect for any reason yet. I assumed that it works, but I guess I was wrong?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a share in the full multi license package with some mates but was told by the manufacturer it did not yet support the GT3 ECU so I sold my share. That was early last year...

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?