Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Yellow/Green Uni, Viper Green, Signal Green, Mexico, Riviera.
Are you sure that first one is gelbgrun 137? It looks more like birch to me as well.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:40 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be the lighting. I am 100% its 137.

Originally Posted by Loess
Are you sure that first one is gelbgrun 137? It looks more like birch to me as well.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Here are my samples. Not as pretty but they show the differences. They are still a bit wet so they will get a bit darker but no clear coat either which may brighten them up a bit. The greens are viper 225 in VOC base (didn't have mix code for water based, looks a bit dark to me), green 2D8, gelbgrun 137, signal yellow, and miami blue.

I would get that 137 sample redone if you're serious about it but perhaps mine is out. All it would take is a few drops of extra yellow to mess up a small batch.

You can see the miami is brighter in this photo than the one I posted earlier. This colour is difficult to photograph as the eye sees it.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Loess for posting those paint samples! I wasn't expecting 137 to be so light and yellow, but the colour you have is really nice regardless of what it is.

And thanks especially for a first look at Miamiblau! I think it's very intriguing. Maybe it's somewhere on the spectrum between Aetna (photo 1) and Azure (photo 2)? Anyway, here's a photoshop (photo 3) of what Miami could possibly look like on the RS based on your paint sample photos and those of vw taubenblau posted by Eduardo.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Here are photoshops of the standard RS colours (on the left), plus the new "special" colours (on the right). IMO, this is a pretty impressive selection of colours (not even including true PTS colours). This is shaping up to be the RS with the broadest colour palette to date.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:29 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Perhaps 'Miami Blue' is based on historic/vintage 1957 356A Solid/Uni 'Aquamarine'...

Originally Posted by Z356
Supposedly the new Porsche 'Miami Blue' is closer to an older VW color called 'Taubenblau',
which has been also called 'Dove Blue'. My source is telling me that the "best way to
describe the colour would be blue with a lot of grey!
"

Googles comes up with a few VW examples (VW color L31)... take your pick! At least it
gives you an idea of the possible new color Porsche has in mind for us!

Loess paint sample of 'Miami Blue' (M5C)

1957/1959 Porsche 356A 'Aquamarine' / Porsche color code 5707. Ian brought up the similarity in the 981 'Custom Ordering' thread:

I think its important to note that a customer requested 'Aquamarine' as a PTS color, PAG did a feasibility study on it & approved it...
for the Panamera, but rejected it for the 991/981. Why???

Do you remember when not that long ago Rennlister djcxxx actually requested 'Blutorange/Tangerine' from 'Porsche Exclusive',
a feasibility study was done on it and it was similarly rejected?

Well, PAG changed the formula by a few shades & introduced it as 'Lava Orange' on the 991 gt3 RS! I think we have the making
of a similar phenomenon here with 'Miami Blue'. It might be the vintage/historic 356 'Aquamarine', but up/down a few shades!

Originally Posted by <3mph
Maybe it's somewhere on the spectrum between Aetna (photo 1) and Azure (photo 2)?

I owned a 1954 Pre-A 356 1500 Cabriolet in 'Azure'. Daniel, if the reports above are true, it will be a lot closer to 'Aetna Blau' than 'Azure'!
In fact, it simply might be a formulation of the 356A 'Aquamarine'!

Some still believe that Porsche's new 'Miami Blue' is closer to is the lighter/bluer L51C from the 74-78 VW's than the Grey-Blue ''Taubenblau'
based on internal dealer emails they have been privy to. I have been promised by a high-up at 'Porsche Exclusive' that they will try to send
me photo of actual color as soon as they (PCNA!) get it in Atlanta. That hopefully will on Monday! So we might put an end to the speculation
pretty soon and have confirmed information on what 'Miami Blue' truly will look like! We will keep everyone posted!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Its not that different tone than Golf Blue

'Golf Blue' (Color Code 315 / Paint Code 6603). Rennlister jvmax's 1966 912

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 AM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just received an email from my dealer (Swiss) telling me that PTS is cancelled for the RS due to quality control problems. Very upsetting.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:23 AM
<3mph
Drifting

^Brilliant deduction about Miami possibly being reformulated Aquamarine, especially since its PTS "failure/denial" follows the Tangerine--Lava script very closely. If so, it will be an absolutely beautiful colour! Thanks Eduardo for some great sleuthing!

BTW, while I was photoshopping away, here are a few more I've put together showing rough approximations of (clockwise from top left): Mexico blue, Voodoo blue, Maritime blue, Fashion grey (haha, I had to include it!!!), Pastel orange, Signal yellow, Birch green, and Signal green. Just like the GT3, the new RS is achingly gorgeous in pretty much any colour. Wish I were one of the lucky ones to have a PTS allocation coming!!!

[**edit: I just viewed these images on another computer, and they are way over-saturated on this other screen! beware!**]

Last edited by <3mph; 07-11-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 AM
suzzane1207
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reviwers
top ten classified website
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 AM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A small amount of further information. It seems there is a full stop on PTS due to quality control issues. This might be lifted if they resolve the issues but I am getting the impression that this is unlikely.
The additional optional colours referred to above do not appear on the configurator. Is it certain they will be added? If Miami blue looks like it does in the photoshop image that would probably be my preferred alternative.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GianiCakes
A small amount of further information. It seems there is a full stop on PTS due to quality control issues. This might be lifted if they resolve the issues but I am getting the impression that this is unlikely.
The additional optional colours referred to above do not appear on the configurator. Is it certain they will be added? If Miami blue looks like it does in the photoshop image that would probably be my preferred alternative.
Disappointing news, but not surprising and probably why they've not scheduled any of the PTS orders. I'm ok with UV, but I think I'll just get in line for a Singer and stop dealing with this PTS mess.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if the PTS issue Porsche is having is related to the use of these envirobase paints and how they vary on different materials and perhaps even thickness and drying rate. Does anyone know when they started using these?

The very runny solvent based viper sample dried in minutes while the others were still wet for hours.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:34 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by GianiCakes
It seems there is a full stop on PTS due to quality control issues. This might be lifted if they resolve the issues but I am getting the impression that this is unlikely.
Thanks for that intel GianiCakes. Full stop on PTS?! i.e. not a single PTS RS will be built (other than anyone who had requested Black or RY, which apparently are now "special" colours)? Do you know if this applies to other models apart from the 991 RS?

This news might explain why race7117's build has moved forward: black is no longer PTS.

Originally Posted by race7117
OK my PTS A-1 Black is now at v215 status
Originally Posted by race7117
I think the fact that simply changing my order to a PTS Black has moved up production 3-4 months????? anyone ever heard of this before? I thought it would delay production not speed up
SDGT3, when you say "in limbo," do you mean you're no longer V200? Or stuck at V200 but not moving forward?

Originally Posted by SDGT3
I had a Sept. build with Oct delivery date at V200. Changed to Voodoo blue about a month ago and sitting in limbo now.
What a mess!!! Hope they can sort this out.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:30 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I wonder if the PTS issue Porsche is having is related to the use of these envirobase paints and how they vary on different materials and perhaps even thickness and drying rate. Does anyone know when they started using these?

The very runny solvent based viper sample dried in minutes while the others were still wet for hours.
I assume the problem is with the color on the supplier painted parts not matching the body color?
Old 07-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

As I understand it, Porsche will not approve a PTS color until it has been tested on all the body materials. I think the only body material in the RS that is not on the GT3 (of which there are more than a few PTS cars) is the magnesium roof, a relatively inert metal which should not pose a problem (Frank Stella paints on corrugated magnesium). I have a chartreuse PTS 4.0 and that color is not available on the 991 RS because it was not thoroughly tested. Interestingly, I was told several weeks ago that the factory had already ordered the paint for my car (and therefore I could not change the color).

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS