Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The photos you attached are restorations. For example, in the top photo, the sellers claimed it is 'Viper Green'. Bottom line, as with any restoration, you never know what is the exact color formula the restorers used. They could say 'Viper'...but it might not be true....

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thank you Eduardo. If it wasn't for members like yourself here there would be many misinformed and possibly disappointed PTS buyers.

Without being able to see the differences in the green range I thought it safer to stay with blue, so I changed my order to Voodoo yesterday.

The question now is if LO stitching will be awkward or add interest, any thoughts? The car will have black wheels/uprights with yellow calipers...Wolverine scheme. The last photo here just looks perfect to me w/o being too much.

Voodoo Z12
Attached Images    
Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm going to eat my words: "I want black but I don't want to pay PTS prices for it".

I just changed my ultraviolet allocation to a Basalt Black PTS

My decision was solely based on the memory of lusting over a black GT2 RS I saw a couple of months ago on the road. I almost rammed the car in front of me whilst staring at it. Nothing else looks meaner than a black GT car with a black roll cage and red 6 point harnessess poking through. Might as well follow my heart since this isn't a "follow your brain" kinda car

Oh and btw, the price of PTS is $4200 here in the UAE.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
I read the labels on the back
The 1st one I cannot recall
Then Signal, Gelbgrun, Viper and Birch. Oak metallic on top row.

Had to edit my prior post as I then realised Eduardo ONLY got 3 correct - still one smart fella with a good eye for colour!
3/5 = 60%, reminds me of medical school, what to you call the person who is at the bottom of the class and has a 60% mark? = DOCTOR, just like the rest
Eduardo - FIFY
Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks Henry and Eduardo. I didn't realize Gelbgrun was that dark of a green. It sure seems different than photos of Gelbgrun I've seen online. Interesting.
Hi Daniel:

That room has very little sunlight that day, but you can see the tinge of yellow in gelbgrun - that is what makes this colour special. It has depth, but is not dark. Google RAL 6018 = gelbgrun or yellow green
Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks for your insights on gelbgrun, Henry! I hope someone paints a car this colour and posts photos. Even better, with other green cars.
Originally Posted by consolidated
Thank you Eduardo. If it wasn't for members like yourself here there would be many misinformed and possibly disappointed PTS buyers.

Without being able to see the differences in the green range I thought it safer to stay with blue, so I changed my order to Voodoo yesterday.
With all due respect to Henry, I do feel we need to investigate the topic of 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow' so we clarify the subject of this color for Daniel, Consolidated and the many others that are interested in the topic or might be thinking of ordering a car in this great color!

I don't see 'Gelbgrün' on that wall...simply as that!

Let me explain what I know about 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow' so that we have more information on this stunning Porsche PTS color today!

'Gelbgrün' is a historic / vintage color from the early 911 period. Its color code, from day one and remains to this day, is 137. Porsche does not refer to it as RAL 6018, although Google might. Often, people have referred to this color as 'Lime Green'.

It has more green tint than its color cousin 'Lichtgrün/Birch Green', color code 253!

And it has much more green than it's other color relative 'Chartreuse/Lindgrün', color code 226 (which is not yet approved for the 991).

I photographed the following 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow' 1974 911 last March at European Collectibles in Costa Mesa. The car was in the shade:

Here, in the sun, are photos of another 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow' 1974 911 that belongs to a fellow R Gruppe member in Sacramento:

So let me repeat, my eyes don't see 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow' on the wall of samples that Henry has graciously photographed for us:

To many observers, the last 'Light Green' on the wall above would look closest to 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow'. But I have been to that room in 2013, when it had a smaller sample of PTS colors, and that one appears to be the same 'Birch Green/Lichtbgrün' sample I photographed in Zuffenhausen back in 2013:

I personally don't think (my speculation) PAG has had many requests for 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow', so it doesn't surprise me it's not on that wall of samples!

I think this honest difference of opinion merits further investigation. If I were to order a PTS Porsche today, I would choose 'Gelbgrün/Green Yellow', color code 137. So I am particularly interested in shedding light on this subject to clarify the matter for myself & others interested in this great color. I am planning to go to Zuffenhausen on July 16 & 17 of 2015 and hope to settle this question once & for all.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 06-07-2015, 03:23 PM
otisdog
Pro

Wow! Great and helpful picture of the "wall of color"! Can anyone ID the fifth and sixth colors from the right on the top row, and the second from the right on the second row from the top?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Identity Crisis...

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Eduardo: Can you please identify the blue in the top row, middle (third from the left)? Thanks.
That is sapphire blue metallic
Henry
MM3: I have posted several images of the 'Wailing Wall'. And the 'third from left' has different meaning depending which photo you are referring to.

The Maxi-Wall:

In that case you are talking about:

A close up shot I also posted, which left out one 'Blue'.

So in this case, 'third from the left' is:

You saw Henry's response...but I am wandering if we are all talking about the same color sample!

The question now is if LO stitching will be awkward or add interest, any thoughts?
Its all a matter of personal taste...but I say 'WHY NOT'.

Orange & Blue have mixed historically at Porsche before...albeit in the 'Gulf' version.

But Orange has also been combined with 'Riviera' and 'Mexico' to good effect...

I think the deviating orange stitching interior in the black leather (not the microfiber 'Amsterdam Brothel' seat inserts! ) will go fine with a 'Voodoo Blau' exterior! Carpe Diem.

Originally Posted by otisdog
Wow! Great and helpful picture of the "wall of color"! Can anyone ID the fifth and sixth colors from the right on the top row, and the second from the right on the second row from the top?
Otis...I'll let others handle this question for you! Let them see how well they do at this little game. It's exhausting me...as you can see!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
otisdog
Pro

Otis...I'll let others handle this question for you! Let them see how well they do at this little game. It's exhausting me...as you can see!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Well, do you think they are up for it? One common denominator on these PTS threads has been misidentification of the "popular" PTS colors. This is rather a high stakes game for some of us...
Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the deviating orange stitching interior in the black leather (not the microfiber 'Amsterdam Brothel' seat inserts! ) will go fine with a 'Voodoo Blau' exterior! Carpe Diem.
I ordered the Orange Microfiber - I have never named a car but I think "Green Brothel" might stick
Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I went letter Orange stichting only inside. Black seat belts black inserts and will change out to black door pulls.

Roll bar black or body color, black 6-point harnesses.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Tre
Racer

The question now is if LO stitching will be awkward or add interest, any thoughts? The car will have black wheels/uprights with yellow calipers...Wolverine scheme. The last photo here just looks perfect to me w/o being too much.

Voodoo Z12
Voodoo with LO interior is the scheme I came up with a week ago so I may be a bit biased by saying those 2 colors will complement each other quite well!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default The Ruin of Many a Poor Boy...

Originally Posted by otisdog
Well, do you think they are up for it? One common denominator on these PTS threads has been misidentification of the "popular" PTS colors. This is rather a high stakes game for some of us...
I hear you brother!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I went letter Orange stichting only inside.
What was you final choice in exterior color...'Ultraviolet'?

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I ordered the Orange Microfiber - I have never named a car but I think "Green Brothel" might stick
If you are thinking of a catchy name for my recently arrived 22S 'Signal Green' gt3, that is not it!
Besides, savvy Europeans already know what that means. And it's not a NA gt3. It's a 'Sexual Pleasure' mobile unit (e.g. MB Sprinter Van) with a hybrid power unit that does 56 miles to the gallon...plus some other cheap thrills!

That, dear Nate, is THE true 'Green Brothel'!

But I am NOT casting an aspersion your way because you have chosen the 'Amsterdam' seat inlay option for your 991 RS. I happen to like brothels...Latin Americans are not New England Puritans! But I happen not to like the way Porsche often interprets the brothel theme. Here is the last one, before the current RS 'Amsterdam' example. It was called 'House of the Rising Sun'* interior on their .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition:

And then there was the headliner:

I once asked 'Porsche Exclusive' if they would be willing to put a 'mirror' in that headliner as an option. They, surprisingly, never responded to my inquiry! So I guess the answer was 'Nein'.

That Rising Sun alcantara interior has 'been the ruin of many a poor boy'...trust me on that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-07-2015, 06:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sorting out the PTS pickup date... If not UV..

I never got used to the menstrual red 4.0 interior but that's coming from a guy that swapped out red door pulls, seat belts, sport Chrono, painted center console and instrument cluster to black on both his 3.8RS.

I mean you're looking at it all the time, painful.

I should dig up before and after pics
Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

RS in Birch would be quite a statement, looks amazing here if my guess is correct. Apologies if pics are a repost.

Two others I've not seen before, no guess of what color this is.
Attached Images     
Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Black Uprights

My RS PTS order is for voodoo blue with black/silver without inserts, PCCB with black wheels. Anyone know what the default color of the uprights? Is it black? I just want to make sure it doesn't default to the silver.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
My RS PTS order is for voodoo blue with black/silver without inserts, PCCB with black wheels. Anyone know what the default color of the uprights? Is it black? I just want to make sure it doesn't default to the silver.
Black for sure.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a gelbgrun PTS on order. May change to birch. This thread has been a huge help so thanks.

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS