991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'Lizard Green' debuts as a 'Special Color' on the 992...

You might recall that I talked about this possibility earlier this year when the color was introduced with the .2 991 gt3 RS....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14824191

I must tell you all that this is, personally, one of the best news I have seen coming from PAG regarding the
color palette of their cars. Porsche is finally giving us a stunning 'solid/uni' bright green color at a relatively
affordable price ($3270) vs the now very expensive PTS option. And without the drama, delays & frustrations
associated with PTS! I trust that 'Lizard Green' will also be a 'Special Color' on the coming 2020 Boxster Spyder
...and that will most likely be the color I will choose on that model on my allocation. And I predict this will be a
much more popular color option for customers than 'Miami Blue' and 'Lava Orange' in the long run. Simply
because, unlike those two other colors that were 'massaged' rather unsuccessfully by the color fashionistas
at PAG, 'Lizard Green' is almost a faithful reproduction of the very popular formulation of the vintage 911 color
'Gelbgrün/Lime Green'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-01-2018, 05:16 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Eduardo,

Do you have any idea why Porsche would "replicate" an already approved PTS color (Gelbgrün)? At least Miami Blue looks different from the existing PTS blues.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Second Childhood
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for a source for touch up paint for my Brewster Green (22B) GT3 Touring. Dealer parts has been no help so far. Dr. Color Chip and a few other touch up paint suppliers are no help.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default The 'Why'...

Originally Posted by reuben991
Eduardo,

Do you have any idea why Porsche would "replicate" an already approved PTS
color (Gelbgrün)? At least Miami Blue looks different from the existing PTS blues.
Yes I think we have some understanding of what went on here with 'Lizard Green'.
Back in September of 2015, at Rennsport V, Andreas Preuninger saw a 'Gelbgrün/
Lime Green' 911 race car at the event that he liked & struck a chord with him:

And apparently Andreas, who is known at PAG as someone whose opinion is deeply valued
by top management, insisted that this color become the signature hue (or 'communication
color' in PAG marketing 'speak'
) for the .2 991 gt3 RS. Thus, surprisingly to some of us that
have seen the color 'fashionistas' at Porsche often try to re-invent a color that should have
been left alone (e.g. 'Lava Orange' as a modern version of 'Tangerine/Blutorange' or 'Miami
Blue' as a hip update to 'Riviera Blue'
), the color formula for 'Lizard Green' was left pretty
much faithful to the vintage 'Gelbgrün/Lime Green' from 1974 that supposedly Andreas
saw at the 2015 Rennsport Reunion in Laguna Seca.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gen...che-911-gt3-rs

Given all the testing done on ANY new color by Porsche's paint suppliers, the company
now feels pretty comfortable extending that new color - 'Lizard Green' - to other models
at PAG. Furthermore, PAG apparently has confidence that the various sub-contractors
that are painting 'Lizard Green' for the various parts/panels of a gt3 RS not painted at
Zuffenhausen's in-house paint facilities are coping well with the color application off-site.
Thus, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, PAG has given 'Lizard' the green light (pun intended)
to be added to the standard 992 model as a 'Special Color' option!

Furthermore, the various coordinated color 'accessories' in that color developed for the
'Lizard Green' gt3 RS, like the seatbelts in that color, can now be used or offered to a
broader market, creating favorable economic scale & pricing.

That is why I thought, once this beautiful 'Lizard Green' color was adopted for the
991 gt3 RS, the chances we would see it on the regular 911, Boxster Spyder, et al
was almost assured...and said so at the beginning of 2018. And it came to be...
thankfully!

I would like to think now that the color fashionistas at PAG have been taken down
a peg after the realization that neither 'Lava Orange' nor 'Miami Blue' have been
super-popular. In fact, many experts now have come to regard them as somewhat
unsuccessful colors in the Porsche market. The only color that this crop of fashionistas
have formulated recently that will join the pantheon of great Porsche historic hues is
(in my humble opinion) 'Ultraviolet'.

Keep in mind that this is not the same team of color experts that brought us the stunning
'RS Orange' or 'RS Green' which debuted in the .1 997 gt3 RS. Those color consultants
got it right! Those are memorable colors that will go down as 'great' in Porsche color history.

A further proof (to me at least) that this crop of 'color fashionistas' are loosing clout
at PAG is that the company has re-introduced a vintage dark green metallic color
circa 1995 - 'Aventurine Green Metallic' - as an option in the 2020 992. Porsche
did NOT let the 'fashionistas' come up with a 'hip new color' for the green metallic
hue in the color palette on this new model. Instead, they went with a proven vintage
color:

And I say Amen to all of that! Although I am not a fan of 'metallic' hues in general,
it's great to see them bringing back pretty much intact these historic Porsche colors!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

I agree on 997 stunning colors,
In my opinion the only decent colors that
the so called fashionistas have offered
in the whole 991/992 palette are
Ultraviolet
GTSilver
Carrera White metallic
NightBlueMetallic
tbc when delivered :aventurine green

the remaing is trash(and i had some ) including Lizard Green
which has nothing to do with that nice green on the .2RS testing on the snow (a simple camera error in a too white environment)
nor the one on the 992 configurator(photoshop)
just an opinion indeed

Last edited by fxz; 12-02-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 223 Posts

My Oak Green ready for track work

Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I agree on 997 stunning colors,
Ultraviolet
GTSilver
Carrera White metallic
NightBlueMetallic
Aventurine Green Metallic (sorry I know it’s not PTS, and this is a PTS thread) looked good to me, even under the super bright lights. In normal lighting I think it’ll be very nice.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
Eduardo,

Do you have any idea why Porsche would "replicate" an already approved PTS color (Gelbgrün)? At least Miami Blue looks different from the existing PTS blues.
I always liked Mexico but when I saw Miami in person I was surprised how similar it was. I'm not feeling the 992, but it's nice to see the additional paint and leather options.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Classic Albert Blue delivered about a month ago at Porsche North Houston.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
AmneZia (10-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I believe that is Redroute1’s Albert Blue Touring.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:40 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Classic Albert Blue delivered about a month ago at Porsche North Houston.
‘looks good.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Not exactly. Blood Orange or Tangerine did not pass the feasibility test on all the different materials on the 991.
I requested Blood Orange for my PTS GT3 and ran the request all the way up the flag pole. I was informed by
C level staff of the feasibility failure.

Cheers
mcipseric:

As a matter of setting the record straight on when 'Tangerine/Blutorange' was denied feasibility for the 991, the fact is that it was David C. (djcxxx)
in Florida that first requested this color from PAG back in May/June of 2013. I had a tangental role in that request & that is why I know well the
history of David's original request, the feasibility study of it and it's ultimate request. In 2017, I documented all of that in this post here on Rennlist.
So if you requested, as you said, 'Blood Orange' for a gt3 (.1 or .2), they should have told you immediately (if you had talked to the knowledgeable)
that it was a futile request!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14209715

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Hershey included Bluto Orange (blood orange), which is the same as Tangerine.
Originally Posted by mcipseric
Unfortunately this color is not on the approved list... :-(
Originally Posted by evilfij
Because it is very close to Lava.
Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Evil, were you told that by your inside sources? Or is that your speculation? I ask because I must tell you,
I don't think lava is all that close to bluto. Maybe in just the right light, yes. But in most lighting, no. In fact,
I think if bluto and lava were that close, lava would not be the polarizing color it is; and it would not suffer
the salmon nickname.
Originally Posted by hushypushy
To my eyes (and camera) they are pretty different

As to why 'Blutorange / Tangerine' was denied, we really don't know...and PAG will not talk about it. Did it truly failed the feasibility test?
We don't know. Was it denied because they didn't want to steal the thunder away from the newly formulated & much ballyhooed 'Lava Orange',
which was the brainchild of the 'color fashionistas' at PAG at the time? We are left wondering. Personally, I don't like the fact that many of
the 'orange' hues in Porsche color history have NOT been approved by the feasibility study in recent years. That include 'Continental Orange',
'Signal Orange' and 'Blutorange/Tangerine'. Furthermore, I really question why 'RS Orange', a great color that will be well remembered in
Porsche color history, was discontinued after MY2010. It was only allowed to come back in one VIP's 918 Spyder, but those panels were
painted at a different facility than the standard paint shop at Zuffenhausen. Jaime Diaz (Wachuko) years ago posted these color samples
that I still remember to this day!

Right after 'RS Orange' was unceremoniously dropped from the PTS list, PAG steered those wanting an orange into 'Pastel'.
And a few years later, the historic 'Gulf' was approved for PTS. And then finally we got 'Lava Orange'. Personally, I don't think
the current orange 'crop' rises to the level of 'Signal', 'Tangerine', 'Continental' or 'RS Orange' in the pantheon of memorable
colors at Porsche. But that is just my own opinion. These were all questions I was planning to ask the PTS expert I was hoping
to be introduced at PAG. But that meeting never came about & these questions all remain unanswered.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Porsche Color Experts Wanted...

Originally Posted by fxz
Ultraviolet
GTSilver
Carrera White metallic
NightBlueMetallic

the remaing is trash(and i had some ) including Lizard Green
which has nothing to do with that nice green on the .2RS testing
on the snow (a simple camera error in a too white environment)
nor the one on the 992 configurator(photoshop)
just an opinion indeed
fxz:

Neither your revised post (above) nor your original post (below) is factual.

Originally Posted by fxz
in the whole 991/992 palette
are Ultraviolet and GTSilver

the remaing is trash including Lizard Green
just an opinion indeed
'GT Silver' was not formulated by the current crop of 991 'color fashionistas',
as most savvy readers of Rennlist know. It was first seen in the year 2000 at
the Paris Auto Show as the exterior paint of the Carrera GT prototype. Hence
it's 'GT Silver' name.

Which brings me to this other topic. Have you guys seen this request by the
Porsche Club of America?

Maybe here at this venerable enthusiast forum we can jointly suggest to PCA
names that might fit the 'color expert' job description. As the organizer of this
recruiting drive, I am myself exempted for consideration. I know my limits. And
besides, you all know that I have retired from 'gurudom'. So let the games begin.

At first, I was ready to offer up Pete Stout & Will Lee for the job. They are fresh
from their collaborative 'Rare Shades' bi-coastal bromance. But perhaps this is
not the most appropriate time to try to reunite Pete with PCA once again! A fellow
Rennlister recently made me aware of this other thread on the 'Off Topic' forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-magazine.html

So, as substitutes, perhaps we should go with 'fxz'...and that little devil we have all come
to know here so well - the one & only 'evilfij'. What do you think, 'Es macht nichts'? Who
else should we nominate for this important 'Porsche color experts' job at PCA? And the
same question goes to all of you loyal readers of this thread. Please take the time to think
about it & make a suggestion as to what person from our ranks should fit the required job
description as a true 'Porsche color expert'. Then we will jointly discuss the candidates &
send PCA our grand list of qualified finalists.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am no expert. I may be a devil, but anyone who has seen me knows I am far from little.

I will offer that there are several existing resources that, with varying levels of comprehensiveness, catalog the existing Porsche colors. Unfortunately, most of them tend to have older pictures which are not great.

Crazy Canuck posted this link which I found helpful:

http://www.elferclassic.de/technik/f...plack-blau.php

there are also several threads on other forums which catalog all the greens and blues, although I am sure they are probably missing a couple here or there.

Last edited by evilfij; 12-05-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tend to come into things a little naive but I like to think it is because I want to think the best of individuals/organizations/businesses but I assumed any endeavour concerning things Porsche would tap into resources within the Rennlist community and certainly anything about color would find its way to this thread. I further assumed the likes of evilfij and certainly you Eduardo had already been contacted for contribution to the PCA color exercise. Mr. Stout's letter was the reminder that things aren't always as rosy as the seem and that even not-for-profit business are still a business and business seems to come before community (don't misinterpret this is meant in a negative way towards PCA not Mr. Stout) . I feel blessed to be able to be a part of the Porsche and Rennlist community and to "know" so many of you here and the dedication you put into sharing quality information. Maybe I've drifted a bit off topic here but it is important to know that there are so many of us that appreciate...and rely upon, the contributions on this forum that so many of you make each day.

...but I wouldn't put Lime Gold Metallic in the color graveyard so maybe my opinion doesn't mean that much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS