Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:55 AM
ejpoulsen
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Only 89.6? Interesting. I hit 92-93 dB with just the valve switch with my 991 GT3. Were you full throttle in the lowest possible gear going up the hill on the far right next to the sound booth? Could be weather dependent.
Yes I really think the RS has a different native sound quality, compared to the GT3.

Last edited by ejpoulsen; 01-28-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Cold dry days should result in the lowest readings, or so says the Internet... The denser the actual air, the harder it is for sound to pass through it. Good for horsepower too.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 PM
ejpoulsen
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It's been a while since I took physics, but I do remember a couple things---a denser medium carries sound better, eg sound travels better in a piece of wood than through air; and in a vacuum like space sound cannot travel. So if the air is colder (and therefore denser), sound should travel better. Speed of sound travel is another matter, traveling faster in warm air than cool since the molecules are already moving faster. But in real world conditions, humidity, inversion, elevation, etc all come into play. So I think it's pretty hard to aggregate all the info to figure out. But for sure we can say that on 1/27/18, the Track Nanny made at least a 6 dB difference, comparing same model with and without.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejpoulsen
It's been a while since I took physics, but I do remember a couple things---a denser medium carries sound better, eg sound travels better in a piece of wood than through air; and in a vacuum like space sound cannot travel. So if the air is colder (and therefore denser), sound should travel better. Speed of sound travel is another matter, traveling faster in warm air than cool since the molecules are already moving faster. But in real world conditions, humidity, inversion, elevation, etc all come into play. So I think it's pretty hard to aggregate all the info to figure out. But for sure we can say that on 1/27/18, the Track Nanny made at least a 6 dB difference, comparing same model with and without.
Yeah, I'm no expert for sure. Random internet pages seem to say air attenuates/absorbs sound (increasingly as frequency goes up), like this page:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ef...ty-live-sound/

They all seem to agree on humidity, but hard to find a clear answer on the impact that temperature has -- probably due to your point about aggregating all the various things going on into one simple answer. But weather clearly plays some role and the Track Nanny (or rather the PSE baffle) definitely brings the db's down
Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 PM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Step 3 - program the Arduino board with the “Valve Debug” test firmware

The Valve Debug firmware file will simply switch the PSE valves open and closed every 5 seconds, letting you confirm audibly and visually that all of the wiring is functioning properly before re-programming it for GPS-based operation. These steps show you how to program the board.

Download the Ardunio programming software for your system (Windows, Mac, and Linux supported) from here and install it: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Plug your board into your computer over USB. The board should be powered via USB and be ready for programming. To program it, do the following:

1) Launch the Arduino software.

2) Open the “ValveDebug_v3.ino” file that you downloaded from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...bug_v3.ino.zip

3) In the Ardunio app, go to the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries… and search for “Adafruit GPS Library”, and click on Install to install the GPS library.

4) Go to the menu bar and select Tools -> Board -> Arduino Uno.

5) Go to the menu bar and select Tools -> Port -> and select the arduino usb modem port.

6) Go to the menu bar and select Tools -> Programmer -> AVRISP mkII

7) In the ValveDebug_v3.ino.ino window, click the check mark button in the upper left. This should compile the code error-free. Now click the right arrow button also in the upper left. This should program the board with the compiled binary. If that was successfully, then you’re board stack is now good to go!
Mech33

Thanks for doing this, but I can't download either programming file. I get a 404 address error. Can you send me correct links?

Thanks,

hwashcraft
2012 Cayman R
2015 GT3
Old 12-19-2018, 03:36 PM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Could you share the original programming files? The links in the thread do not seem to work.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:47 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

@hwashcraft Here's my copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uib5ng9uid...re_v2.zip?dl=1
Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 PM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that worked!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:17 PM
anthonymckay
5th Gear

Hi all. Reviving this thread. I'm planning to attempt building this for a Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera that I track pretty regularly at Laguna. Unfortunately most of the old links and images are broken. @Mech33 Do you still have the latest "universal wiring" digram around as well as the latest firmware source for the Arduino? I'm fairly certain it should be pretty straightforward applying this to the Lamborghini's solenoid valve for the exhaust. Fantastic work you guys have done here!

Edit: Just realized the above link from @pkh is the latest source, does anyone have the universal wiring diagram by chance?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:04 PM
anthonymckay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom

If your system is triggered with a 12 volt on/off signal, I’d be eager to help adapt my Track Nanny to your car. I definitively would not rely on wiring diagrams used for the Porsche without testing your signals first, even if you are into the DIY project and opt to make your own from Arduino parts, etc. Either way, feel free to PM me if I can help.
I'm almost certain it's a 12v on/off signal, but I haven't done any signal testing on the solenoid wires yet. I would be down to help adapt your Track Nanny to my car if you're interested? PM'ing members seems to be disabled for me, I'm guessing that's a limitation due to having just signed up on the forums and having no post history? I think if you send me a PM then I should at least be able to respond that way.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anthonymckay
I'm almost certain it's a 12v on/off signal, but I haven't done any signal testing on the solenoid wires yet. I would be down to help adapt your Track Nanny to my car if you're interested? PM'ing members seems to be disabled for me, I'm guessing that's a limitation due to having just signed up on the forums and having no post history? I think if you send me a PM then I should at least be able to respond that way.
If memory serves, you need 3 posts to use the PM feature. I poked around the internet a bit, and it looks like you system does work much like the Porsche PSE. We'd just need to confirm polarity of the two pins, which side is switched, and whether how on/off equate to loud/quiet.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM
anthonymckay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
If memory serves, you need 3 posts to use the PM feature. I poked around the internet a bit, and it looks like you system does work much like the Porsche PSE. We'd just need to confirm polarity of the two pins, which side is switched, and whether how on/off equate to loud/quiet.
Alright, I'll see if I can PM you after this post. I'll try to do some poking around with my multimeter this weekend and see how the solenoid is controlled.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just switch both sides of the solenoid... it makes it far more fool-proof! I’ve see some Porsches have the polarity switched coming from the ECU even on the same model...

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lglov5b8fvc...universal.png?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonymckay
Hi all. Reviving this thread. I'm planning to attempt building this for a Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera that I track pretty regularly at Laguna. Unfortunately most of the old links and images are broken. @Mech33 Do you still have the latest "universal wiring" digram around as well as the latest firmware source for the Arduino? I'm fairly certain it should be pretty straightforward applying this to the Lamborghini's solenoid valve for the exhaust. Fantastic work you guys have done here!

Edit: Just realized the above link from @pkh is the latest source, does anyone have the universal wiring diagram by chance?
Just reposted it below. I’ve been meaning to update all the links in the thread, but haven’t gotten around to it yet...
Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM
anthonymckay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
That universal 4-wire approach doesn't take into account that the polarity is reversed on some cars (e.g., 991GT3 vs. GT4), so ideally you'd reverse the power leads (for cars with polarity the opposite of that shown) so that the flow of power through the solenoid remains in the same direction whether powered by the factory ECU or the GPS box. The solenoids may function with either polarity but, if so, I don't know if there's a flyback diode or other ECU spike protection in the solenoid that may be disabled by the reversed polarity. Of course, if you go to the trouble of confirming the polarity, then there's no real point to using the 4-wire approach. Beyond the 991GT3 and GT4, on some cars, the solenoid gets constant 12v and switches the low side to 12v to turn off the solenoid; and in some cars powering the solenoid may make the car quiet rather than loud and, in other cars, vice versa. All of which is to say, for someone trying to adapt this system to a Lambo, with an unknown solenoid set-up, I'd say he should really check out the signals in the car first and then wire accordingly.

Edit: by the way, I'm not being critical at all -- you've done an amazing job of making a complicated electronics project accessible to all! Just pitching in with details that might be useful to those tinkering/adapting in different ways.
Dont worry, I'll be testing all the solenoid signals this afternoon and figuring out the quite/loud conditions. I just wanted the writing diagrams to get an idea of a starting point for the setup and adapt the wiring harness/firmware source accordingly to how my solenoid triggers the quiet/loud states. Apparently one of our dogs chewed up one of the probes to my multimeter, so I need to stop by the hardware store and see if I can get a replacement before I can document the lamborghini's solenoid triggers.

Last edited by anthonymckay; 02-17-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks