Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
Then get working on this man!!! I've gotten so many request to build this that I finally have to say, I officially retired from building it...lol
I'm going to do it this weekend. How many have you made total?
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

where and how do i order that cute little box orthojoe has that encloses the circuit boards. my is a litt GHETTO....
Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
where and how do i order that cute little box orthojoe has that encloses the circuit boards. my is a litt GHETTO....
https://www.tindie.com/products/mjri...losure-duo-ii/

You can get blue to match your Smurf wheels.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm going to do it this weekend. How many have you made total?
I think 10 total... I lost track
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by sbel
OK, I tried to combine and modify your drawings and here is what I've got. That's pretty much how it's is in my 981GTS (if I had to use a passthru configuration instead of 4-wires). Polarity in ECM side connector is just flipped compared to both 991GT3 and 997GT3.
If helpful to anyone going-forward, I just tested a GT4 and it is exactly as sbel describes.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
*UPDATE*

After finding inconsistent solenoid polarity wiring and control on the 997, Cayman GTS, and Caymang GT4, I think it would be easier to just switch all of the systems over to "universal" 4-wire wiring...
Here is the preliminary universal wiring description:

Mech, great project and thanks! I'm helping Ed make one for his GT4. The "solenoid +" and "solenoid -" are flipped on the GT4 (as you know) so showing the + and - the way you have it in this universal diagram may mislead GT4 guys (and/or their electronically inclined friends). The system still works of course because both are switched, but thought I'd point that out. I wouldn't want anyone with a GT4 to think they understand the signals from this diagram and get a nasty surprise by mistaking the switching 12v wire for ground and vice versa....
Old 10-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Mech, great project and thanks! I'm helping Ed make one for his GT4. The "solenoid +" and "solenoid -" are flipped on the GT4 (as you know) so showing the + and - the way you have it in this universal diagram may mislead GT4 guys (and/or their electronically inclined friends). The system still works of course because both are switched, but thought I'd point that out. I wouldn't want anyone with a GT4 to think they understand the signals from this diagram and get a nasty surprise by mistaking the switching 12v wire for ground and vice versa....
Good point. I need to make a fresh thread some time with all of the updates in one spot.

*UPDATE* Thanks to Joe for fine-tuning the GPS coordinates to try and minimize how long the exhaust valves are forced shut. Here is the updated 4-wire file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e_4wire_v2.zip
Old 10-03-2016, 03:40 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sbel
Actually I need to retract what I said about sound not changing at IDLE when using PSE button. It does.
Yeah, but until engine is warmed up, which takes more than 5 minutes at idle. Weird.

Have a few related comments and questions. First, my Cayman GTS sounds louder (and nicer) than my buddy's new RS. That was unexpected. Second, the valves in ALL Porsches should be normally open, meaning with vacuum disconnected, valves stay open (loud), correct? Third, did anybody notice valves open with PSE off not only at WOT, but above 4K rpm? Are 911s the same? And another observation was my buddy's RS with PSE on, wasn't loud until above certain rpm. He took off from my house fast, and heard what I think was the exhaust getting louder (but not that much) after maybe 4K rpm... but maybe it was the noisy intake. And on that front, that makes a weird 'swooooshy' sound heard both inside and outside for a fraction of a second after taking off from a stop. And finally, surprised a GTS doesn't pass MRLS sound even with valves closed. Again, I thought a proper GT car like a GT3 was louder. And I think Caymans are also louder with PSE on, right? Curious about the dB numbers on both cars, of anybody has them. Not because I own one, but still think the little 3.4 lawnmower engine on the GTS sounds nicer than any GT3. Am I the only one? Even my RS buddy thinks that, by the way... but haven't heard both cars taking off, or flying by back to back, so that might not be accurate, especially at higher rpm, beyond the GTS's range.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'm going to build one of these for my GT4. I did some looking around and there are a few shops that do sell them, but it's too much of a mark-up.

Awesome diagram, great stuff.

Just a dumb question though: the wire that is recommended I'm guessing is rated to take the amount of heat generated in an engine bay? I want to make sure the wires / connectors dont' have a chance of melting.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bk_911
I'm going to build one of these for my GT4. I did some looking around and there are a few shops that do sell them, but it's too much of a mark-up.

Awesome diagram, great stuff.

Just a dumb question though: the wire that is recommended I'm guessing is rated to take the amount of heat generated in an engine bay? I want to make sure the wires / connectors dont' have a chance of melting.
For high temperature compatible wire, I'd go with silicone wire like this:

https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Sili.../dp/B01AAX64EC
Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New GPS based PSE valve controller design

Guys and Gals
I must tell you ...
If I were you I would hold off making one of these, if you can.
Just FYI, I asked a friend to make me one of these, and he kind of went to town and redesigned, it to shrink it all into a small black box (smaller than size of a cigarette box) that can be hidden anywhere, with a GPS antenna, to pick up the satellite.
Whats even better than that ?
He's also making it push-button programmable, so that I can choose/change where the car goes quiet -- so it will work at any/all tracks!
Will post more when mine is up and running...
Regards
Ed
Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Guys and Gals
I must tell you ...
Just FYI, I asked a friend to make me one of these, and he kind of went to town and redesigned, it to shrink it all into a small black box (smaller than size of a cigarette box) that can be hidden anywhere, with a GPS antenna, to pick up the satellite.
He's also making it push-button programmable, so that I can choose/change where the car goes quiet -- so it will work at any/all tracks!
Regards
Ed
Would be interested in talking to him for a bulk order. We have customers all over the world that would love having this...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 11-09-2016, 02:24 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Guys and Gals
I must tell you ...
Regards
Ed
Woot! Procrastination pays off!
Old 11-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Would be interested in talking to him for a bulk order. We have customers all over the world that would love having this...
Will contact you about this
Give me a few days
Originally Posted by bk_911
Woot! Procrastination pays off!
I told you
regards
Ed
Old 11-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Eddie strikes again.

Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks