How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks - Page 15 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Reload this Page >

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM
anthonymckay
New User

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn View Post
If memory serves, you need 3 posts to use the PM feature. I poked around the internet a bit, and it looks like you system does work much like the Porsche PSE. We'd just need to confirm polarity of the two pins, which side is switched, and whether how on/off equate to loud/quiet.
Alright, I'll see if I can PM you after this post. I'll try to do some poking around with my multimeter this weekend and see how the solenoid is controlled.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 AM
Mech33
Super User

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn View Post
If memory serves, you need 3 posts to use the PM feature. I poked around the internet a bit, and it looks like you system does work much like the Porsche PSE. We'd just need to confirm polarity of the two pins, which side is switched, and whether how on/off equate to loud/quiet.
Just switch both sides of the solenoid... it makes it far more fool-proof! Iíve see some Porsches have the polarity switched coming from the ECU even on the same model...

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lglov5b8fvc...universal.png?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Mech33
Super User

Originally Posted by anthonymckay View Post
Hi all. Reviving this thread. I'm planning to attempt building this for a Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera that I track pretty regularly at Laguna. Unfortunately most of the old links and images are broken. Mech33 Do you still have the latest "universal wiring" digram around as well as the latest firmware source for the Arduino? I'm fairly certain it should be pretty straightforward applying this to the Lamborghini's solenoid valve for the exhaust. Fantastic work you guys have done here!

Edit: Just realized the above link from pkh is the latest source, does anyone have the universal wiring diagram by chance?
Just reposted it below. Iíve been meaning to update all the links in the thread, but havenít gotten around to it yet...
Old 02-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Amalgamated Tom

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That universal 4-wire approach doesn't take into account that the polarity is reversed on some cars (e.g., 991GT3 vs. GT4), so ideally you'd reverse the power leads (for cars with polarity the opposite of that shown) so that the flow of power through the solenoid remains in the same direction whether powered by the factory ECU or the GPS box. The solenoids may function with either polarity but, if so, I don't know if there's a flyback diode or other ECU spike protection in the solenoid that may be disabled by the reversed polarity. Of course, if you go to the trouble of confirming the polarity, then there's no real point to using the 4-wire approach. Beyond the 991GT3 and GT4, on some cars, the solenoid gets constant 12v and switches the low side to 12v to turn off the solenoid; and in some cars powering the solenoid may make the car quiet rather than loud and, in other cars, vice versa. All of which is to say, for someone trying to adapt this system to a Lambo, with an unknown solenoid set-up, I'd say he should really check out the signals in the car first and then wire accordingly.

Edit: by the way, I'm not being critical at all -- you've done an amazing job of making a complicated electronics project accessible to all! Just pitching in with details that might be useful to those tinkering/adapting in different ways.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM
anthonymckay
New User

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom View Post
That universal 4-wire approach doesn't take into account that the polarity is reversed on some cars (e.g., 991GT3 vs. GT4), so ideally you'd reverse the power leads (for cars with polarity the opposite of that shown) so that the flow of power through the solenoid remains in the same direction whether powered by the factory ECU or the GPS box. The solenoids may function with either polarity but, if so, I don't know if there's a flyback diode or other ECU spike protection in the solenoid that may be disabled by the reversed polarity. Of course, if you go to the trouble of confirming the polarity, then there's no real point to using the 4-wire approach. Beyond the 991GT3 and GT4, on some cars, the solenoid gets constant 12v and switches the low side to 12v to turn off the solenoid; and in some cars powering the solenoid may make the car quiet rather than loud and, in other cars, vice versa. All of which is to say, for someone trying to adapt this system to a Lambo, with an unknown solenoid set-up, I'd say he should really check out the signals in the car first and then wire accordingly.

Edit: by the way, I'm not being critical at all -- you've done an amazing job of making a complicated electronics project accessible to all! Just pitching in with details that might be useful to those tinkering/adapting in different ways.
Dont worry, I'll be testing all the solenoid signals this afternoon and figuring out the quite/loud conditions. I just wanted the writing diagrams to get an idea of a starting point for the setup and adapt the wiring harness/firmware source accordingly to how my solenoid triggers the quiet/loud states. Apparently one of our dogs chewed up one of the probes to my multimeter, so I need to stop by the hardware store and see if I can get a replacement before I can document the lamborghini's solenoid triggers.

Last edited by anthonymckay; 02-17-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: