Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:22 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

delete
Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 AM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on controllers?
I'm keen!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 PM
ZG911
Instructor

I just wanted to review the latest GPS module that I tested recently at Laguna Seca.
I was just a few days away from my track event and I didn’t have any method to control the loud exhaust note for the weekend. I have seen and heard stories from friends about the dreaded meatball flag which ruined their weekend at the track and I did not want to suffer the same fate. I realized that having a working unit to limit the exhaust noise was a small price to pay.
Time was running out, but luckily I was able to contact Eddie (Crazy Eddie) who was able to get in touch with Tom to make and ship out a new unit to me in time for the weekend.

First off the build quality is fantastic. All the connections, wires, accessories, and the switching module itself looked and felt like a professionally made product. It is very solid with a sturdy dial and program button. Nothing looked like it was made by a hobbyist. No cheap cables or connectors with the unit. You can tell that Tom really takes pride in the work that he does putting these units and their accessories together.

Installation was easy (about an hour to remove all the trim pieces, carpeting, engine cover). Hooking up the unit was a snap and running power to the unit and the cords to the rear cubby box and putting all the pieces back was maybe another hour or so.

Since the unit has an easy to set personal GPS location, I was able to test it out in my neighborhood to make sure that it was functioning properly. This will be a great option for anyone that plans to use the car outside of California at a track that also has sound limits (or a complaining neighbor that can’t appreciate the beautiful exhaust note every time you drive near their home).

When I got to the track I turned the selector **** into the star position, which has the Laguna Seca sound booth pre programmed. I tested it out by driving along the side road and the over the bridge near the booth and the unit worked properly. I placed the unit on the center ashtray with a bit of velcro for testing. It functioned perfectly during my first session and I was able to place the unit in the rear cubby spot behind the passenger seat for the weekend (easy to pull out to show to fellow Porsche drivers when asked about how I was able to bypass the exhaust note).
GPS signal was strong and it is great that it included a well built external antenna.

I also really like the options using the dial on this particular unit:
-Pre programmed Laguna Seca sound booth.
-Able to increase or decrease the GPS signal area when in “program” mode.
-Always loud function
-Stock

Overall I am extremely happy with this unit. It works great, easy to install, well built and I was able to get fantastic support whenever I had any questions on the install or operation.
If there are any of you debating getting a device like this, I would highly recommend getting in touch with Eddie. I have seen other units out there, and there is really no comparison.

Full disclosure: I have never met Eddie or Tom and I paid full price for the unit. My only previous communication was with Eddie when purchasing his custom made bolster protectors, and I can tell you that he will go above and beyond what most people expect great customer service is to help out fellow enthusiasts.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

can a unit be made with an on off button instead of GPS?
Old 09-23-2017, 01:13 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4SGRPDK
can a unit be made with an on off button instead of GPS?

That is a good question and I was wondering the same thing. There have been discussions on the forum about this and some seem to think that keeping the valves closed for an extended period of time, especially at high RPM's on the track might not be such a good idea. I do not know if any of the people posting their opinions are actually vehicle engineers that have enough knowledge on the subject though.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM
GTS4TP
Advanced

Deleted

Last edited by GTS4TP; 11-01-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Nevermind. I found my answer
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Dicknose
Advanced

I can confirm that this works for a Boxster Spyder, same wiring setup as GT4.
And it works a treat, I’ve gone from 100dB at a track with a 95 limit, to being so quiet at that spot that it’s eerie! It’s almost like you have swapped for a Prius (sound wise, certainly not power wise)
My preset location worked great, custom locations are easy to do, looks neat, small enough to tuck out of the way. In fact I left it tucked away the whole time at the track. Didn’t need to touch it. Just confirmed it worked on my first lap and then the rest of the day just powered on!

Thanks - great product and works brilliantly.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone have links to the updated firmware files? The Dropbox links don't work any more...
Old 12-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Here's the V2 version as previously posted here. I renamed it with a .pdf extension so the forum software would accept it. Just change the extension to .ino to use it with an Arduino. This is the software for the original Arduino version, as posted by Mech33. If you are using one of my Track Nannies, the software is completely different...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 12-31-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:18 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you! my box I got from AlekShop must not have had the software loaded right or something. Seems to be working now.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
ejpoulsen
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I just installed a GPS exhaust controller in a 991 GT3RS. Thread here if interested. Thanks to Mech33 for the innovation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14729605
Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 AM
ejpoulsen
Intermediate

I can confirm that the Track Nanny GPS PSE controller also works for the 991 GT3 RS. With stock exhaust and no turndown pipes, I tested at 89.6dB today at Laguna Seca. For comparison, another GT3 RS with stock exhaust blew about 96 dB.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:25 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ejpoulsen
I can confirm that the Track Nanny GPS PSE controller also works for the 991 GT3 RS. With stock exhaust and no turndown pipes, I tested at 89.6dB today at Laguna Seca. For comparison, another GT3 RS with stock exhaust blew about 96 dB.
Only 89.6? Interesting. I hit 92-93 dB with just the valve switch with my 991 GT3. Were you full throttle in the lowest possible gear going up the hill on the far right next to the sound booth? Could be weather dependent.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:52 AM
ejpoulsen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mech33
Only 89.6? Interesting. I hit 92-93 dB with just the valve switch with my 991 GT3. Were you full throttle in the lowest possible gear going up the hill on the far right next to the sound booth? Could be weather dependent.
it was a cool day. On the sound check lap, I tried to be full throttle but there was some traffic slowing me slightly. But several other laps during the day I was full throttle and in the “power” gear, travelling on the right side of the track...yet I was never flagged. Today they were flagging anyone for > 90.9 dB (giving some leeway), So i may have been that high but not over that.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ejpoulsen

it was a cool day. On the sound check lap, I tried to be full throttle but there was some traffic slowing me slightly. But several other laps during the day I was full throttle and in the “power” gear, travelling on the right side of the track...yet I was never flagged. Today they were flagging anyone for > 90.9 dB (giving some leeway), So i may have been that high but not over that.
Maybe the RS isn’t quite as loud as the regular GT3...

Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks