Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Shortage of LWB Seats - A Tragedy worthy of play by William Shakespeare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:19 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I missed getting the buckets by two weeks due to my October build date. At first I was pretty disappointed but still glad to have the car. Then after driving the car a bit I was pretty happy with the standard seats. Now that I've started pushing the car more I feel it really needs buckets. It has so much lateral grip that I want to be more secure in the seat. On the track it would be a shame not to have some type of bucket. I was told the buckets would be available to order in the summer however with all the issues I can't see that happening.

I also need to start lifting some weights.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I also need to start lifting some weights.
Yes, you need to follow the example of these early Porsche or Reutter employees in Zuffenhausen!

But don't try lifting a Porsche right away...these women were trained professionals & fed a steady diet of schnitzel, potatoes & spargel (when in season) to cope with the effort required to move these chassis around!

I suggest you start with a smaller VW Beetle:

Then practice with an intermediate-size Fiat, before working yourself up to the German gt3 heavyweight!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Back on Topic...

I just received a PM from someone I know & trust that has been reading this thread and has something significant to add. He runs a major business organization, so he is familiar with management issues and shortfalls. He also has an allocation for a 991 gt3 RS under the 918 VIP program. Here is what he wrote:

"I just wanted to anonymously mention to you some conversations that I have had with PCNA senior management in ATL. Apparently when PCNA got PAG to increase the GT3RS and GT4 production due to strong demand, PAG agreed to do so before they contacted Lear to see if they could produce more LWBs (which they cannot.) This LWB shortfall is due to the PAG left and right hand not coordinating, as they attempt to help US dealers not wanting to have so many unhappily customers on their waiting lists. It was not due to poor planning on the original seat allocations -- just too quick of an approval to upsize the unit production that they cannot now retract."

I know for a fact that Joe Lawrence, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - PCNA, had been assessing the additional demand in our market for gt3 RS and gt4...and was going to make the case to PAG for increase allocations. If there is a silver lining in this cloud is that we will indeed get additional allocations of gt3 RS and gt4, even if without LWBs or with LWBs after delays. And if any one model is going to get the shaft re: lack of LWB, I think it will be the 981 Spyders! They are not a 'Porsche Motorsport' gt model...so they might have lesser priority to the LWBs.

It doesn't totally end our discussion, but at least it puts it into the right perspective - an increase in allocation creates shortages of a certain component. Why PCNA didn't anticipate larger demand in their market for Porsche's 'halo' models (991 gt3, 991 gt3 RS, Cayman gt4 & 981 Spyder) is still a subject worthy of continued debate on this thread!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-31-2015, 02:30 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

^^^Eduardo, thank you for sharing. Seems like the most plausible explanation I've heard yet.

My dealer told me that LWB are not even available to order for the 981 Spyder because of the demand.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I guess there is some good news that comes out of the LWB seat shortage....more GT3, RS, and GT4 cars. Build baby build!
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I just received a PM from someone I know & trust that has been reading this thread and has something significant to add. He runs a major business organization, so he is familiar with management issues and shortfalls. He also has an allocation for a 991 gt3 RS under the 918 VIP program. Here is what he wrote:

"I just wanted to anonymously mention to you some conversations that I have had with PCNA senior management in ATL. Apparently when PCNA got PAG to increase the GT3RS and GT4 production due to strong demand, PAG agreed to do so before they contacted Lear to see if they could produce more LWBs (which they cannot.) This LWB shortfall is due to the PAG left and right hand not coordinating, as they attempt to help US dealers not wanting to have so many unhappily customers on their waiting lists. It was not due to poor planning on the original seat allocations -- just too quick of an approval to upsize the unit production that they cannot now retract."

I know for a fact that Joe Lawrence, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - PCNA, had been assessing the additional demand in our market for gt3 RS and gt4...and was going to make the case to PAG for increase allocations. If there is a silver lining in this cloud is that we will indeed get additional allocations of gt3 RS and gt4, even if without LWBs or with LWBs after delays. And if any one model is going to get the shaft re: lack of LWB, I think it will be the 981 Spyders! They are not a 'Porsche Motorsport' gt model...so they might have lesser priority to the LWBs.

It doesn't totally end our discussion, but at least it puts it into the right perspective - an increase in allocation creates shortages of a certain component. Why PCNA didn't anticipate larger demand in their market for Porsche's 'halo' models (991 gt3, 991 gt3 RS, Cayman gt4 & 981 Spyder) is still a subject worthy of continued debate on this thread!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thanks for the follow-up, Ed. I was trying to balance the shortage issue (supply doesn't meet demand) with the various reports on RL that dealers have advised or even pushed some GT3 buyers to not get the LWBs because it will hurt them on resale (demand doesn't meet supply), as these two positions would seem diametrically opposed. But the information you've provided here clears it up and makes good sense.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Thanks for the follow-up, Ed. I was trying to balance the shortage issue (supply doesn't meet demand) with the various reports on RL that dealers have advised or even pushed some GT3 buyers to not get the LWBs because it will hurt them on resale (demand doesn't meet supply), as these two positions would seem diametrically opposed. But the information you've provided here clears it up and makes good sense.
The reality is limited production track cars like the GT3, RS and GT4 are bought primarily by track devotees. They prefer the LWB's.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Still don't understand how they run out at the BEGINNING of production.....
Old 05-31-2015, 01:37 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Glad I got mine

Last edited by WSH; 08-12-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Boxster Spyder orders with LWB's are SOL ? How about GT4 orders with LWB's....just delayed ?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Still don't understand how they run out at the BEGINNING of production.....
As I understand it, at the beginning of 991 GT3 production the issue was a concern over whether the LWB's would be in compliance with new DOT regulations. The supplier couldn't even begin production of the new buckets until that was finalized. They didn't run out, they just couldn't start making them yet.

Once that was resolved the LWB's became available although as we're now learning, not in sufficient numbers to meet the demands for all the various models that could use them.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick
The reality is limited production track cars like the GT3, RS and GT4 are bought primarily by track devotees. They prefer the LWB's.
Not according to some dealers, at least with respect to the 991 GT3. One thing that's clear is that the 991 GT3 buyer population is broader than pre-991 GT3 buyer populations.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:49 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As I understand it, at the beginning of 991 GT3 production the issue was a concern over whether the LWB's would be in compliance with new DOT regulations. The supplier couldn't even begin production of the new buckets until that was finalized. They didn't run out, they just couldn't start making them yet.

Once that was resolved the LWB's became available although as we're now learning, not in sufficient numbers to meet the demands for all the various models that could use them.
This is how I understand it, too.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Not according to some dealers, at least with respect to the 991 GT3. One thing that's clear is that the 991 GT3 buyer population is broader than pre-991 GT3 buyer populations.
I've seen a shocking number of 991GT3 on track these days. The popularity of the hobby has increased significantly of the past few years. These days it is more likely that the cars have seen the track than vice versa like it has been in the past.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Agree with joe. There are a lot of 991 GT3s on the track lately.

The percent of track use vs regular use/garage time will be just as high for the 991 GT3 vs the 991 RS.

Actually, I suspect the 991 RS may see less track time on average than the 991 GT3, as the RS is increasingly becoming both a collectible for which total miles\use must be limited to protect its value and also too expensive to risk on a track or obtain insurance. ------I worry the RS is becoming a Ferrari.

There are hardcore owners that will track their RSs regularly, but likely a smaller percentage than with previous RS generations.

Quick Reply: Why the Shortage of LWB Seats - A Tragedy worthy of play by William Shakespeare?