Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?

need one for safety and security, why are they all made by no name companies?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I just had a Blackvue DR650 front and rear camera installed. So far so good

Ran Blackview on my last car for a couple years with good success.

I wouldn't drive without a dashcam either. Too many wackos out there and it's nice to have video proof of anything that happens.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I wonder if these can be utilized for track video's as well?
Same with NavTv front and rear camera retrofit.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:40 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... suppose u get caught speeding, lets say doing 85mph in 65mph zone. The statie notes the dash cam ... can he/she remove it from your vehicle for review, with the intent to return later to you? Just suppose u did 100mph a few miles back on nice straight .... is there quick delete button on the Blackvue?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
... suppose u get caught speeding, lets say doing 85mph in 65mph zone. The statie notes the dash cam ... can he/she remove it from your vehicle for review, with the intent to return later to you? Just suppose u did 100mph a few miles back on nice straight .... is there quick delete button on the Blackvue?
Excelling question. There is a quick format button on the Blackvue, but I'm curious about the evidence gathering part of your question.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
Excelling question. There is a quick format button on the Blackvue, but I'm curious about the evidence gathering part of your question.
Does that quick format button erase all, or recent, memory within a few seconds RELIABLY upon you pressing the button?

The dash cam, as I understand it, will not display speed info ... so that vehicle speed will have to be inferred/calculated by time elapsed between road markings, etc.

I think staties will have ability/authority to remove a dash cam if they deem it important to their data gathering .... they can always get authority by telephone from local judge/jurisdiction if a driver objects. Whether the statie wants to go to that extent is debatable, but the risk is there ...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I doubt a trooper (or any cop) would go through that great of length for a speeding ticket....I mean all of our cars have Nav which can also estimate the speed and I would guess it's stored in the ECU somewhere.....they don't ask for the car computer so why would they want the dashcam....
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Heard the opposite happen. Not a typical dash cam but.a smartycam that was installed in his car. Driver at track I know got pulled over in his gt3rs the cop claimed he ran a red right turn and there is a green arrow. Cop was on left oncoming.

Got pulled over argued with the cop, cop said he had it on video, his response "so do I" and pointed to the smarty. Cop got very pissed. Went back to his car, ran license, and let him go.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

You have to hold down the button for 10 seconds to initiate a format. I haven't timed it, but I'll try it later.

I like that the camera system goes into a lower power parking mode that record based on motion or impact detection after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. Some kits include their "Powermagic Pro" box that you can program to provide different durations of power to the camera after turning the car off. For example, mine is set to power camera for 6 hours after locking car, or if battery voltage drops to 11.8 (whichever is first). Voltage cutoff is just for fail safe.

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
Does that quick format button erase all, or recent, memory within a few seconds RELIABLY upon you pressing the button?

The dash cam, as I understand it, will not display speed info ... so that vehicle speed will have to be inferred/calculated by time elapsed between road markings, etc.

I think staties will have ability/authority to remove a dash cam if they deem it important to their data gathering .... they can always get authority by telephone from local judge/jurisdiction if a driver objects. Whether the statie wants to go to that extent is debatable, but the risk is there ...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

small sd card, put it up your anus
Old 05-26-2015, 10:43 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
You have to hold down the button for 10 seconds to initiate a format. I haven't timed it, but I'll try it later.

I like that the camera system goes into a lower power parking mode that record based on motion or impact detection after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. Some kits include their "Powermagic Pro" box that you can program to provide different durations of power to the camera after turning the car off. For example, mine is set to power camera for 6 hours after locking car, or if battery voltage drops to 11.8 (whichever is first). Voltage cutoff is just for fail safe.
... some nice security and "proving your case" benefits to the dash cams, perhaps with negligible risk.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For any LEO to obtain your video footage, they'd need to write a search warrant for the video. Unless it's a fatal collision, it won't happen. Don't volunteer it, if there's any chance of self incrimination. If you're sure, the footage can show your innocence, then use it. If not, wait till you review it and see if it'll help you in court.
Also noted: I have seen numerous dash cam footage that prove who was at fault in a collision. 99.9% of collisions are investigated through statements. Without independent
(Video/uninvolved witnesses), it's hard to determine exactly what happened, at some collisions. CYA!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:23 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?

My blackvue 550 DOES show speed.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlanka
My blackvue 550 DOES show speed.
You can turn the speed overlay on or off.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 AM
p0pey
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

G1W with the capacitors

Quick Reply: slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?