Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/875282-slightly-ot-dash-cam-suggestions.html)

dark knight 05-24-2015 08:30 PM

slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?

need one for safety and security, why are they all made by no name companies?

Mech33 05-24-2015 09:22 PM

I just had a Blackvue DR650 front and rear camera installed. So far so good

Ran Blackview on my last car for a couple years with good success.

I wouldn't drive without a dashcam either. Too many wackos out there and it's nice to have video proof of anything that happens.

TRAKCAR 05-25-2015 01:21 AM

I wonder if these can be utilized for track video's as well?
Same with NavTv front and rear camera retrofit.

snabbgt3 05-25-2015 03:40 PM

... suppose u get caught speeding, lets say doing 85mph in 65mph zone. The statie notes the dash cam ... can he/she remove it from your vehicle for review, with the intent to return later to you? Just suppose u did 100mph a few miles back on nice straight .... is there quick delete button on the Blackvue?

Mech33 05-25-2015 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by snabbgt3 (Post 12308163)
... suppose u get caught speeding, lets say doing 85mph in 65mph zone. The statie notes the dash cam ... can he/she remove it from your vehicle for review, with the intent to return later to you? Just suppose u did 100mph a few miles back on nice straight .... is there quick delete button on the Blackvue?

Excelling question. There is a quick format button on the Blackvue, but I'm curious about the evidence gathering part of your question.

snabbgt3 05-25-2015 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 12308179)
Excelling question. There is a quick format button on the Blackvue, but I'm curious about the evidence gathering part of your question.

Does that quick format button erase all, or recent, memory within a few seconds RELIABLY upon you pressing the button?

The dash cam, as I understand it, will not display speed info ... so that vehicle speed will have to be inferred/calculated by time elapsed between road markings, etc.

I think staties will have ability/authority to remove a dash cam if they deem it important to their data gathering .... they can always get authority by telephone from local judge/jurisdiction if a driver objects. Whether the statie wants to go to that extent is debatable, but the risk is there ...

shapiroeric 05-26-2015 10:07 AM

I doubt a trooper (or any cop) would go through that great of length for a speeding ticket....I mean all of our cars have Nav which can also estimate the speed and I would guess it's stored in the ECU somewhere.....they don't ask for the car computer so why would they want the dashcam....

Spyerx 05-26-2015 10:12 AM

Heard the opposite happen. Not a typical dash cam but.a smartycam that was installed in his car. Driver at track I know got pulled over in his gt3rs the cop claimed he ran a red right turn and there is a green arrow. Cop was on left oncoming.

Got pulled over argued with the cop, cop said he had it on video, his response "so do I" and pointed to the smarty. Cop got very pissed. Went back to his car, ran license, and let him go.

Mech33 05-26-2015 11:15 AM

You have to hold down the button for 10 seconds to initiate a format. I haven't timed it, but I'll try it later.

I like that the camera system goes into a lower power parking mode that record based on motion or impact detection after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. Some kits include their "Powermagic Pro" box that you can program to provide different durations of power to the camera after turning the car off. For example, mine is set to power camera for 6 hours after locking car, or if battery voltage drops to 11.8 (whichever is first). Voltage cutoff is just for fail safe.

Originally Posted by snabbgt3 (Post 12309153)
Does that quick format button erase all, or recent, memory within a few seconds RELIABLY upon you pressing the button?

The dash cam, as I understand it, will not display speed info ... so that vehicle speed will have to be inferred/calculated by time elapsed between road markings, etc.

I think staties will have ability/authority to remove a dash cam if they deem it important to their data gathering .... they can always get authority by telephone from local judge/jurisdiction if a driver objects. Whether the statie wants to go to that extent is debatable, but the risk is there ...

dark knight 05-26-2015 10:08 PM

small sd card, put it up your anus

snabbgt3 05-26-2015 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 12309961)
You have to hold down the button for 10 seconds to initiate a format. I haven't timed it, but I'll try it later.

I like that the camera system goes into a lower power parking mode that record based on motion or impact detection after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. Some kits include their "Powermagic Pro" box that you can program to provide different durations of power to the camera after turning the car off. For example, mine is set to power camera for 6 hours after locking car, or if battery voltage drops to 11.8 (whichever is first). Voltage cutoff is just for fail safe.

... some nice security and "proving your case" benefits to the dash cams, perhaps with negligible risk.

OverBoosted28 05-27-2015 01:21 AM

For any LEO to obtain your video footage, they'd need to write a search warrant for the video. Unless it's a fatal collision, it won't happen. Don't volunteer it, if there's any chance of self incrimination. If you're sure, the footage can show your innocence, then use it. If not, wait till you review it and see if it'll help you in court.
Also noted: I have seen numerous dash cam footage that prove who was at fault in a collision. 99.9% of collisions are investigated through statements. Without independent
(Video/uninvolved witnesses), it's hard to determine exactly what happened, at some collisions. CYA!!!!!!

jlanka 05-27-2015 05:23 AM

slightly OT: Dash-cam suggestions?

My blackvue 550 DOES show speed.

Mech33 05-27-2015 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by jlanka (Post 12312416)
My blackvue 550 DOES show speed.

You can turn the speed overlay on or off.

p0pey 05-27-2015 10:23 AM

G1W with the capacitors