Sponsored by:

991RS Review thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
"the crankshaft is made from V361, a super-high purity steel that's remelted multiple times in a vacuum to remove impurities. It"

So not from a flying Saucer UFO after all.
I'm disappointed... I prefer "Spaceship material"
Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Snippet from the Motor talk DE German report above:
"

The wind pressed the GT3 RS so firmly on the ground that scrapes in lowering the titanium muffler on the asphalt. Chassis and tires offer better traction than most drivers have courage."
Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
"the crankshaft is made from V361, a super-high purity steel that's remelted multiple times in a vacuum to remove impurities. It"

So not from a flying Saucer UFO after all.
We were assured by PCNA's Engine Expert during our recent visit that, contrary to
the "unobtainium" Crankshaft material alluded to by other spokesmen, the metal of the GT3RS Crankshaft is EXACTLY the same material as used in all of our GT3
Crankshafts. Only the Stroke had been changed to reach the 4 Liter capacity, and the reduction to 8,800 RPM from 9,000 was made to match the Piston Speed of
the GT3 Engine. The cause of the previous GT3 Engine problems related only to the Connecting Rod Bolts.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
We were assured by PCNA's Engine Expert during our recent visit that, contrary to
the "unobtainium" Crankshaft material alluded to by other spokesmen, the metal of the GT3RS Crankshaft is EXACTLY the same material as used in all of our GT3
Crankshafts. Only the Stroke had been changed to reach the 4 Liter capacity, and the reduction to 8,800 RPM from 9,000 was made to match the Piston Speed of
the GT3 Engine. The cause of the previous GT3 Engine problems related only to the Connecting Rod Bolts.
... and even if the metal was different, who cares, if it does the job properly in both cars?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

And yes, the driving is very impressive - the 991 GT3 RS is undoubtedly the most secure, tied down, outrageously fast and agile 911 I've ever driven, but I can't help but think it's a bit of a shame you have to be going so fast to get your kicks. Hell of a thing, though. Properly full-on.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
that quote from the review eases my pain of not getting an RS allocation:

Significantly, though, it (the GT3 RS) is less exciting than a Ferrari 458 Speciale and not as challenging as the car it succeeds.

::)))
peter
yeah, those (Mr. Purple) grapes, no way they're sweet.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So AP is a liar ? I think I would trust the guy from Germany in charge of the project over the North American sales distributor...
Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
So AP is a liar ? I think I would trust the guy from Germany in charge of the project over the North American sales distributor...
No, AP may have been referring to the difference from the past RS motor. This wouldn't be the first time we have heard information mis-interpreted from the higher ups at Porsche. Remember when we first heard the RS motor was a completely different motor?

The Tech at the experience center appeared very knowledgeable but did waffle on a couple questions.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/porsche/911-gt3-rs/
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
No, AP may have been referring to the difference from the past RS motor. This wouldn't be the first time we have heard information mis-interpreted from the higher ups at Porsche. Remember when we first heard the RS motor was a completely different motor?

The Tech at the experience center appeared very knowledgeable but did waffle on a couple questions.

I watched the video again. I think AP clearly said the crankshaft is different form 991 gt3.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This.....

Originally Posted by doubleurx

....and this.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

It has already been established the crank material is not on the Periodic Table.
AP is not lying,he's making some statements that me might later end up regretting.
But that's fine : there isn't one person on this board that would possibly hold that against him!
One thing's for sure : he's definitely not a marketing guy! A marketing guy can never screw up statements so badly.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

^this is the same response to my question on 5/11.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...rs-2015-review
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watching Chris Harris' original GT3 review and comparing it to this one...he seemed so much more enthusiastic and surprised. Probably because it was such a departure and so quick. I was hoping for more I guess. I can't wait for the GT3 vs RS videos. It has to happen at some point.

Quick Reply: 991RS Review thread