Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Track Impressions 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Wasn't the 964 the first 911 w/ power assist steering? I would agree that the 991 GT3 steering is best described as highly filtered rather than numb. Always a tradeoff. The kick back in the original (through 89) 911 steering wasn't it's finest characteristic despite it's highly tactile nature.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The 964 RS and RS America had no power steering.
ABS, 3.6L, coilovers, no sunroof, no power steering.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Got it. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
USCTrojan was nice enough to let me take his 991 out for a few laps today. Of course didn't push the car too hard but here are my first impressions (I've been tracking my decently modified 997 GT3RS for about 18mo now):

--Car doesn't FEEL as fast as I thought it would, but it is fast, because I know I'm carrying more pace into the braking zones
--pdks is sweet, so fast, the auto shift is amazing, always in the right gear. the car let me do things I can't do in mine due to shifting upsetting balance of car
--The steering tactile feel is not as good as the 997. it feels artificially heavy, with very little feel and feedback.
--The stock brakes/fluid are OK, but they would be the first thing I'd change. need more bite at top of pedal, felt I had to get too far into pedal to get it to stop.
--Not sure I like the new sport buckets. they are OK, but I'd prefer recaros
--the car feels BIG and WIDE. My 997 feels like well tailored suit, fits just right, feels small, agile (keep in mind, it's wide too), the 991 feels just "big"
--While the steering feel is not great, the car goes exactly where you want. The new damping is amazing. It will jump berms as well as my Ohlins setup. The back end is STUCK. So planted and stable. The front turns exactly where you want it. Might benefit from slightly higher spring rates all around.
--The Cup2 tires are really good
--Didn't find the stability control invasive at all.
--I prefer the noise of my 997

Would I get rid of my 997 for one? No, but I would add one to the garage. Need. More. Space.
Op: Last year I drove a friends 991GT3 at VIR, when I had my RS, did not like it , too soft, too easy , too big. RWS etc...

now that I have had 20+ track days on it, I have never looked back, IMO the 991 GT3 is the best street car on the track today.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I do prefer the 997 steering feel but the 991 GT3 isn't as bad as you guys think it is.
Not sure anyone here is saying it's bad. Just that they prefer the feel and feedback of 997 GT3/RS. Seems to be the majority opinion for those that have spent time in both.

Engineers will say that electric steering in theory should provide an even more direct connection between steering wheel and tire; it's just down to programming. I say show me. Then again, maybe Porsche has come to the conclusion that their new target market doesn't want that wonderfully talkative 911 steering feel. Who knows.

Personally I would've preferred they went with the electric pump, hydraulic rack solution used on the Cup car, but I suspect that wouldn't have met parts-sharing/assembly-streamlining goals.

EOD, just thankful they didn't saddle us with steer-by-wire, which is where the industry is headed.

Last edited by Nizer; 05-18-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Not sure anyone here is saying it's bad. Just that they prefer the feel and feedback of 997 GT3/RS. Seems to be the majority opinion for those that have spent time in both.

Engineers will say that electric steering in theory should provide an even more direct connection between steering wheel and tire; it's just down to programming. I say show me. Then again, maybe Porsche has come to the conclusion that their new target market doesn't want that wonderfully talkative 911 steering feel. Who knows.

Personally I would've preferred they went with the electric pump, hydraulic rack solution used on the Cup car, but I suspect that wouldn't have met parts-sharing/assembly-streamlining goals.

EOD, just thankful they didn't saddle us with drive-by-wire, which is where the industry is headed.
A respected opinion. I have always said since I took possession of the 991 GT3 that I thought the steering even on my 997.2 Turbo provided slightly more feedback. Now, I am splitting hairs because the steering is very very good but not great- and that is not negative but an opinion I think others share
Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
you know it's funny I think the 997 feels numb compared to a 964, if I want more feel from the car I wouldn't drive a 997 or even a 996, I'd go to a 964 manual, bore it out better suspension and wind it up. Now That car has feel......
Completely agree... well said...

The 991 and all of its peers are trying to cheat nature with digital augmentation... and they do it brilliantly, but they are still augmented systems... you can never exactly emulate an analog world digitally ... you can come close, but you are still intervening and injecting digital judgment before your own raw judgment ...

for my money there's nothing that comes close to a well set up shell with plain old analog coilovers and the simplest rack possible... and very little damping in the cabin... the base of the seat needs to be raw...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I ripped around in one, I noticed it wasn't as quick as ...it really is. HP, not TQ - is at play here. Car is amazing!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
correct but 996c2 had ps
i dont like car with no ps. i am weak. i bench press 10lbs. that's ten pounds

Originally Posted by malmasri
Op: Last year I drove a friends 991GT3 at VIR, when I had my RS, did not like it , too soft, too easy , too big. RWS etc...

now that I have had 20+ track days on it, I have never looked back, IMO the 991 GT3 is the best street car on the track today.
haha could have told you that. drove 24chromium's car for 20 min, got home bought one.

with regard to steering feel.
rough and bumpy doesn't mean it has feedback.
if you need ten pounds of salt on your steak, you need better taste buds. it's not the steak's fault that you have bad taste buds.
991 has a lot of steering feel, you need to FEEL it.
caress the steering wheel not grab it.
if bump is feel, then try a mack truck. plenty feel and it's really hard to drive it well on the N-ring.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
USCTrojan was nice enough to let me take his 991 out for a few laps today. Of course didn't push the car too hard but here are my first impressions (I've been tracking my decently modified 997 GT3RS for about 18mo now):

--Car doesn't FEEL as fast as I thought it would, but it is fast, because I know I'm carrying more pace into the braking zones
--pdks is sweet, so fast, the auto shift is amazing, always in the right gear. the car let me do things I can't do in mine due to shifting upsetting balance of car
--The steering tactile feel is not as good as the 997. it feels artificially heavy, with very little feel and feedback.
--The stock brakes/fluid are OK, but they would be the first thing I'd change. need more bite at top of pedal, felt I had to get too far into pedal to get it to stop.
--Not sure I like the new sport buckets. they are OK, but I'd prefer recaros
--the car feels BIG and WIDE. My 997 feels like well tailored suit, fits just right, feels small, agile (keep in mind, it's wide too), the 991 feels just "big"
--While the steering feel is not great, the car goes exactly where you want. The new damping is amazing. It will jump berms as well as my Ohlins setup. The back end is STUCK. So planted and stable. The front turns exactly where you want it. Might benefit from slightly higher spring rates all around.
--The Cup2 tires are really good
--Didn't find the stability control invasive at all.
--I prefer the noise of my 997

Would I get rid of my 997 for one? No, but I would add one to the garage. Need. More. Space.

Great review, thank you.

I found your comment about the "heavy artificial steering" to be the most interesting. I recently was handed the keys to a brand new Cayman S PDK, and the first thing I noticed coming from a 997 Carrera S was the heavy steering. It was numb, and made a very light car feel like it was over-weight. Dealbreaker for me.

Quick Reply: My Track Impressions 991 GT3