991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Track Impressions 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
I agree on most of your observations. the steering is so insulated, when i wore gloves, i couldnt get a good feel for feedback. Went without them for the two days at sebring.

I kept my 997 RS and garage renovation starts monday so i can install a lift.
I too have found myself not wearing gloves in the 991 GT3. I attributed it to liking the feel of the alcantara, but compensating for the relative numbness of the steering is likely also a factor.

Originally Posted by speef
Was considering a 991gt3 after driving it I'm back to a 997... Don't get me wrong, wonderful machine, but felt too big, steering felt too numb, overall car felt less of an extension of the body... Shifting was superb, so was the build quality... Just a bit too large and synthesized for my taste...
Keep in mind that you need to drive this car hard on track for it to come alive. When you do that, its character changes and I doubt that you'll find it to feel large or synthesized. And you'll be going quite fast too!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:01 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 991 GT3 looks large and feels long compared to my 2007 GT3 but there are 2 slow hairpin corners at the RIDGE 30-40 mph that the RWS really thrives in making the car "feel" smaller. Today will be my 4th track day there. Should by dry and low 60s.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
--Car doesn't FEEL as fast as I thought it would, but it is fast, because I know I'm carrying more pace into the braking zones
--pdks is sweet, so fast, the auto shift is amazing, always in the right gear. the car let me do things I can't do in mine due to shifting upsetting balance of car
--The steering tactile feel is not as good as the 997. it feels artificially heavy, with very little feel and feedback.
--The stock brakes/fluid are OK, but they would be the first thing I'd change. need more bite at top of pedal, felt I had to get too far into pedal to get it to stop.
--Not sure I like the new sport buckets. they are OK, but I'd prefer recaros
--the car feels BIG and WIDE. My 997 feels like well tailored suit, fits just right, feels small, agile (keep in mind, it's wide too), the 991 feels just "big"
--While the steering feel is not great, the car goes exactly where you want. The new damping is amazing. It will jump berms as well as my Ohlins setup. The back end is STUCK. So planted and stable. The front turns exactly where you want it. Might benefit from slightly higher spring rates all around.
--The Cup2 tires are really good
--Didn't find the stability control invasive at all.
--I prefer the noise of my 997

Would I get rid of my 997 for one? No, but I would add one to the garage. Need. More. Space.
Finally a balanced critical review. Spot on Spyerx.

Originally Posted by Manifold
- PDK auto sometimes downshifts later than I'd like, otherwise auto is good.

- Agree that the steering is numb compared to the 997. As you drive the car more, it becomes less of an issue, to the point where you may not even notice any more, but there's no denying the steering is a step backwards.

- I wasn't happy with my brake pedal travel and feel using PFC 11 pads and OEM fluid, but it's much better after flushing with SRF. Much less pedal travel, harder pedal, better modulation, and I can brake later now.

- I think the sport buckets are just 'OK' also.

- I agree that the 997 feels more snug and compact. The bigger feel of the 991 is probably due to the longer wheelbase, and the RWS effectively making the wheelbase even longer at higher speeds. But this is another thing you get used to as you drive the car more, to the point where you no longer notice it.

- I suspect that the PTV+ is a key part of the reason for the back of the car feeling so planted and controllable.

- With both windows down, I find the car too quiet at speeds well over 100. Thinking about side muffler delete.
Yup.

FWIW, I find the car to feel a bit 'floaty' at times, perhaps due to the relatively low spring rates and trying to compensate for that by rapidly adjusting damping in real time. Doesn't feel like a track-only suspension, and it takes some getting used to, but once that happens I find that it's not too hard to keep the car feeling reasonably settled.
It's a Caddy compared to 997.2 RS. Lets see what the 991 RS brings.

Originally Posted by rockitman
Big is relative. It appears the seats are better suited for larger drivers....I am happy about that. Recaros felt like vises on my hips.
Sadly, they've Americanized the sport buckets. No stock seat will ever compare to CGT seats for real driving. Only way to get that level of fit these days is aftermarket.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

991 GT3 steering is weird, but I'd say calling it numb is incorrect. It's very communicative. But it communicated only signal, and not the noise. What I mean by this. Someone who drives 997.2, particularly with stiff track tires and some other mods is used to feeling front wheels rolling over a penny on the road. But then he/she gets in a 991 GT3, and that vibration from undulations is significantly reduced. There is also less engine/drivetrain vibration on the steering wheel. That immediately creates the feeling that the wheel is disconnected or over-dampened.

But that judgment is not based on the most relevant criteria. Vibration in the steering wheel is associated with performance steering set up in our brains, but it only reduces the actual performance my masking "the signal" - communication on the level of traction front wheels have. And that the 991 GT3 steering communicates very clearly and precisely. It's so easy to feel how wheel gets lighter in understeer or oversteer situations or loads up when front wheels catch again. I spent 20 minutes with a 991 gt3 on a wet polished concrete skidpad at porsche center yesterday. It was so slippery, it was impossible to go over 15-20 mph, but it was so easy to feel front end would lose even that little grip it had.

So my point is, the steering is not numb - it communicates what driver needs to know brilliantly. But because it's too much of a departure from how a good performance-oriented steering rack feels, it does feel weird to most people. It gets much better once you get used to it.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
991 GT3 steering is weird, but I'd say calling it numb is incorrect. It's very communicative. But it communicated only signal, and not the noise. What I mean by this. Someone who drives 997.2, particularly with stiff track tires and some other mods is used to feeling front wheels rolling over a penny on the road. But then he/she gets in a 991 GT3, and that vibration from undulations is significantly reduced. There is also less engine/drivetrain vibration on the steering wheel. That immediately creates the feeling that the wheel is disconnected or over-dampened.

But that judgment is not based on the most relevant criteria. Vibration in the steering wheel is associated with performance steering set up in our brains, but it only reduces the actual performance my masking "the signal" - communication on the level of traction front wheels have. And that the 991 GT3 steering communicates very clearly and precisely. It's so easy to feel how wheel gets lighter in understeer or oversteer situations or loads up when front wheels catch again. I spent 20 minutes with a 991 gt3 on a wet polished concrete skidpad at porsche center yesterday. It was so slippery, it was impossible to go over 15-20 mph, but it was so easy to feel front end would lose even that little grip it had.

So my point is, the steering is not numb - it communicates what driver needs to know brilliantly. But because it's too much of a departure from how a good performance-oriented steering rack feels, it does feel weird to most people. It gets much better once you get used to it.
Your point is well taken, and you may be right that it's more about the steering feeling different, but so far I still think that the steering is failing to transmit some useful signal, rather than just filtering out noise.

And it sure seems that the reason for moving to electromechanical steering in the 991 was fuel savings, not better performance, and the GT3 got basically the same steering system as the other 991s for cost reasons.

All of this said, I don't dislike the steering in the 991 GT3 - it's excellent in many respects - I'd just rather have a hydraulic system instead.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:20 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

you know it's funny I think the 997 feels numb compared to a 964, if I want more feel from the car I wouldn't drive a 997 or even a 996, I'd go to a 964 manual, bore it out better suspension and wind it up. Now That car has feel......
Old 05-16-2015, 09:24 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

To take this to an extreme, my Lotus with no power steering at all definitely transmits extraneous information that can overwelm someone not knowing what to filter out and what to process.

For driving enjoyment though, the more feel the better. As a pure tool for speed, the electric steering probably isn't slowing the GT3 down.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Your point is well taken, and you may be right that it's more about the steering feeling different, but so far I still think that the steering is failing to transmit some useful signal, rather than just filtering out noise.

And it sure seems that the reason for moving to electromechanical steering in the 991 was fuel savings, not better performance, and the GT3 got basically the same steering system as the other 991s for cost reasons.

All of this said, I don't dislike the steering in the 991 GT3 - it's excellent in many respects - I'd just rather have a hydraulic system instead.
Yeah, I was not implying that electric steering was to improve performance, or that GT3 needed that noise filtering. I'm sure it was done for the other, more luxury-oriented cars, where it's a clear benefit, and GT3 is just sharing the new design. But it's not as bad as it may seem right away, just takes some getting used to.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
you know it's funny I think the 997 feels numb compared to a 964, if I want more feel from the car I wouldn't drive a 997 or even a 996, I'd go to a 964 manual, bore it out better suspension and wind it up. Now That car has feel......
Few things better than a 964 with a manual steering rack when it comes to steering feel... (see avatar)
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

This. No power steering, not the fastest way around the track but the most driver involvement for me.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This. No power steering, not the fastest way around the track but the most driver involvement for me.
+2 Added benefit builds arm strength while navigating starbucks drive-thru
Old 05-17-2015, 10:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

My Alfa 4C had no power steering. I hated the way the weight of the steering would change on fast (light) and slow (heavy) corners on the track. I do prefer the 997 steering feel but the 991 GT3 isn't as bad as you guys think it is.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

This is my next project car - been trying to find the right G50 964 for the last couple of months...
Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
+2 Added benefit builds arm strength while navigating starbucks drive-thru
Its not that bad, really on street width fronts.
I just put OEM CUP 1 wheels on with new high performance Continental tires so even nicer to drive on the road and they double as my rain set.

With AC it drives nice and quiet at 100+MPH on the road, with windows down on sub 80F days there is zero buffeting!

Mechanically the car is awesome, interior is like new RSA, only missing 2 sunvisors (Custom bolt in cage) + OMP Halo's + Fire system + window net and kill switch.
Both seats slide, power windows work, wipers and turn signals all work..

On the track the car is now heavier but with the mods, it still drives beautiful.
Its still only 265HP to the wheels, but slightly lower R&P and longer 1st and 2nd gear seem perfect for Sebring.

I could make it a 3.8 or 4.0 but the car seems powered just right for street and track. Its 10 seconds slower than a 997 4.0 (2:17 VS 2:27) on the same tires, it drives the same, same shift points, same brake points, does the same thing in corners, so what's less lap time going to do?

Mine is cheated up pretty good, even though its now 2900lbs + me is 3150++

Larger master Cyl, fuel cell, RSR spec struts, 700/900lb springs, Sachs GT clutch, LSD, steel synchronizers, RSR trans and engine mounts, camber plates, RS sway bars and solid bushings, 993Turbo brakes F and 964RS rear, 2 oil coolers. Splitter and 3.8RS wing for downforce are really needed!
I took off the 6 to 1 exhaust but left the B&B headers to spare the neighbors (Originally changed for Laguna Seca and it passed) Sounds just right for me. With the 6-1 pipe it sounds evil.

Selling the race doors, lexan windows etc. I got my perfect HotRod.

I don't know the GT4 would be a better car. Just cheaper maybe LOL
Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
This is my next project car - been trying to find the right G50 964 for the last couple of months...
:-) do it.

Quick Reply: My Track Impressions 991 GT3