Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the signs that MPSC2 are near the end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
(planning to go back to NT01, unless the rumor I heard is true that NT01 production is ending)
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wait. What?? NT01 production ending? The best track tire out there? Wth?
Yes wait what? Is this from a quality source or just a rumor due to some of the supply constraints?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Yes wait what? Is this from a quality source or just a rumor due to some of the supply constraints?
Heard this from my shop, who I generally trust, but I've asked them to confirm. Sounds hard to believe for many reasons, including the fact that no one is reporting having heard this. I suggest taking with a big grain of salt for now.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Heard this from my shop, who I generally trust, but I've asked them to confirm. Sounds hard to believe for many reasons, including the fact that no one is reporting having heard this. I suggest taking with a big grain of salt for now.
if that's the case... time to do a TRAKCAR and buy up a few pallets of them... like when the RA1 went out of production.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Did they say anything about stop sale in certain size or a complete stop production of all of them. I just bought a new set (315/18) last thursday. They had production date 4914.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I was able to find NT01 for the Cayman, and bought two sets in case production is ending. But I have no confirmation of that, and will assume that production will continue unless there's confirmation to the contrary.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Heads up that MPSC2 N0-spec seem to be back in stock for our GT3. My dealer received shipment from Tire Rack yesterday.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chin, next week.
What type of mileage and track time have you had already? Also, it appears your Geo is nicely matching your driving style and overall use. What Geo set up do you currently have? Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Heads up that MPSC2 N0-spec seem to be back in stock for our GT3. My dealer received shipment from Tire Rack yesterday.
This is awesome news
Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I've got the dunlops on now, they seem to have worn a lot faster than the mpsc2s. i'll get some photos but i have 1 track day, 3 autocrosses on them, and a couple of canyon runs and they are questionable for another full day at the track.
Kraig, that's very similar to my experience. My car came with the Dunlops. They drove well and handled well, but didn't last. 2 AX events and 2 track days (1 at Chuckwalla, 1 at Thermal Club) and the front tires were right at the wear bars.

I replaced with MPSC2. On those tires I have 2 AX events and 3 more track days, 2 at Fontana Roval (Festival of Speed) and 1 more at Thermal Club. The last day at Thermal was at least 1 1/2 days of normal track driving; I had to refill gas twice during the day we got so many laps.

Now -after all of that - tire wear is basically even and none of the tires are down to the wear bars. I think I still have at least one more track day left in them.

So a BIG difference in durability. Since in my experience the handling is the same but the durability is very different, it's an easy choice to pick the MPSC2's. IF, or course, you can find any! EDIT: I just saw the news that TireRack may have some tires again. Good news.

I asked TireRack about mixing N0 front MPSC2 with non-N0 rears. They said "don't do it." The last I checked they still had some Conti's, but nobody seems to know much about them. I don't want to go to Trofeo's since those will take me out of the stock car category.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
What type of mileage and track time have you had already? Also, it appears your Geo is nicely matching your driving style and overall use. What Geo set up do you currently have? Thanks
I have about 1900 track miles on the car, most of that mine, the rest wife's. Have only been pushing the car fairly hard for about 30-40% of those miles. Front tires were done and just replaced today. Rear tires look like they still have considerably life left, so I'm happy with the durability overall.

I may wind up replacing front tires about twice as often as rears, unless I somehow change my driving style to even out the wear F vs R. One way to do that may be to put the power down sooner and harder, and the car does seem to like that.

With factory alignment except -2.0 cambers, the tire wear is fairly even across the tire width, so I plan to stick with that for a while.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Fronts are in stock but rears are not.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DMoore
Kraig, that's very similar to my experience. My car came with the Dunlops. They drove well and handled well, but didn't last. 2 AX events and 2 track days (1 at Chuckwalla, 1 at Thermal Club) and the front tires were right at the wear bars.

I replaced with MPSC2. On those tires I have 2 AX events and 3 more track days, 2 at Fontana Roval (Festival of Speed) and 1 more at Thermal Club. The last day at Thermal was at least 1 1/2 days of normal track driving; I had to refill gas twice during the day we got so many laps.

Now -after all of that - tire wear is basically even and none of the tires are down to the wear bars. I think I still have at least one more track day left in them.

So a BIG difference in durability. Since in my experience the handling is the same but the durability is very different, it's an easy choice to pick the MPSC2's. IF, or course, you can find any! EDIT: I just saw the news that TireRack may have some tires again. Good news.

I asked TireRack about mixing N0 front MPSC2 with non-N0 rears. They said "don't do it." The last I checked they still had some Conti's, but nobody seems to know much about them. I don't want to go to Trofeo's since those will take me out of the stock car category.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
What are your alignment settings?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Fronts are in stock but rears are not.
I only mounted the fronts right now, but pretty sure my dealer was able to get both F and R, and that their source is Tire Rack. You may want to give them a call, in case the website isn't up to date. It may also depend on when the order was placed, and mine was placed several weeks ago (prepaid).
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I only mounted the fronts right now, but pretty sure my dealer was able to get both F and R, and that their source is Tire Rack. You may want to give them a call, in case the website isn't up to date. It may also depend on when the order was placed, and mine was placed several weeks ago (prepaid).
Did you order through the dealer? I've had an order in with Tire Rack for over a month, still waiting...
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Did you order through the dealer? I've had an order in with Tire Rack for over a month, still waiting...
Yes. Maybe dealers have more pull?

Quick Reply: What are the signs that MPSC2 are near the end?