Sponsored by:

Spring Retainer (Concave Washer) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spring Retainer (Concave Washer) Replacement

My Porsche dealer replaced what I believe are conventionally known as "spring retainers" on my front struts this week. I noticed a squeaking noise while turning at slow speeds, and I was not sure if it was in the suspension or the more common PCCB brakes dragging. Car has 5,000 miles on it.

The dealer replaced the spring retainers as a precaution because I track the car - the warranty write up stated "replaced upper concave washers on left and right suspension as per SY1914." The service tech told me that the new "washer" was slightly looser and would not bind up with its mating part under heavy cornering pressures; I got the impression that Porsche was concerned that the original washer may be too tightly fitted. It was done under warranty and took the dealer two days, don't know how many hours, to do the work so my assumption was that they were not taking any chances.

Anyone know anything about this potential issue?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Did they do an alignment after replacing the washers? I would assume they would if they had to drop the struts for this repair.

Quick Reply: Spring Retainer (Concave Washer) Replacement