Sponsored by:

RS Lightweight battery (Li-Ion)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:40 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
When the 991 GT3 was released, the details AP gave on the rear wheel steering showed it was a huge drain on the electrical system, ergo the big AGM battery to provide the instant high amps.

What did they do different with the RS?

Ryan
Interesting that the alternator wasn't sized to handle the power needs of the rear wheel steering system. I guess if the system is used only periodically you just drain the battery a bit from time to time and charge it back.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

The 997 Li battery option was a PITA.

No warranty and local dealer even stopped selling them altogether. Couple caught on fire as well.

Mine did but it put itself out I guess.

My 4.0 came with a Carbon Li battery very light, shut itself off when below certain level and came with key fob to activate de-activate. Good anti theft, the car had no radio so no setting were lost. If I'd do radio delete I'd get it, I think they are $1000-$1500.

Now with noted extra demand on battery I will just stay with a dry cell AGM battery if I need to replace the OEM one.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lightweight battery

I'll stick with my Braille 21 ($200) plus $5.00 mounting bracket. I can then just go on a diet for the last 8 pounds. LOL
Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

When the 991 GT3 was released, the details AP gave on the rear wheel steering showed it was a huge drain on the electrical system, ergo the big AGM battery to provide the instant high amps.

Ryan
Same stock battery, I believe, but they are supposed to have developed an optional Li-Ion battery with increased capacity to handle the RWS load.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan
I have a Braille Li battery in my GT3 and everything is just fine. Cost was $1,650 and weight savings is 36 lbs.

Also, FWIW - I am an electrical engineer and don't buy the suggestion that the alternator can't handle the RWS load. An AC and/or non-LED headlamps are a heavy load, and they don't get any amps from the battery. I don't have the amp requirements for RWS, but I just don't see it being an issue. Regardless, their are plenty or Braille Li batteries that can handle loads equal to or greater than the stock AGM battery. And they last longer.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:36 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 91 Posts

The original li-ion battery in my 2010 RS has been in the car for 5 years and still no issues whatsoever. FYI I don't leave it on a trickle charger, I wait until the battery chirps (first chirp, not the second chirp here it shuts down soon after), then drive it on a 5 mile circuit to warm everything up and keep all the seals lubricated. If the weather is bad, then I hook up the trickle charger until the light goes green and then unplug it. The car has 239 miles so you can guess how long it takes to lose enough charge to chirp, interval has not changed over the life of the car. I also use the same battery in a GT America racing car and have had several electrical problems but not related to the battery, although the storage capacity is much less than an AGM or std lead acid battery and I have heard other owners complain of low voltage alarms. The 2nd gen battery in the 991 RS looks physically different (larger) but I have no experience with that battery.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Also, FWIW - I am an electrical engineer and don't buy the suggestion that the alternator can't handle the RWS load. An AC and/or non-LED headlamps are a heavy load, and they don't get any amps from the battery. I don't have the amp requirements for RWS, but I just don't see it being an issue. Regardless, their are plenty or Braille Li batteries that can handle loads equal to or greater than the stock AGM battery. And they last longer.
It's not so much a suggestion as a fact that Porsche stated specifically that RWS required an upgrade to the electrical system and an increase in battery size. They also said this was the reason that the previous iteration of their lightweight battery wouldn't work in the new car. I don't know why they'd go to the trouble of changing things if there wasn't an issue. Also, I'm not an electrical engineer so I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject but with all due respect it seems to me that without knowing the load requirements for RWS it's impossible to make a an evaluation of whether there's an issue or not.

Even so, I'm sure you're correct that there are other battery options. As long as one chooses an aftermarket Li-Ion that meets or exceeds the specs of the new Motorsport Li-Ion battery there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Lightweight Battery is now an option for base GT3 on Porsche configurator.... FWIW....
Old 07-14-2015, 03:19 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Lightweight Battery is now an option for base GT3 on Porsche configurator.... FWIW....

You can still configure and order GT3's ?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:43 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
You can still configure and order GT3's ?
Configure, yes. They usually linger in the configurator longer.

I doubt you can order any, though. Some scarce number of 2016's hit dealers, but no one I know got one.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viprklr
I can then just go on a diet for the last 8 pounds. LOL

Cheapest solution yet. Why do you think most race car drivers are tiny.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had a Braille 148CE in my '15GT3, and it has preformed just fine.

Quick Reply: RS Lightweight battery (Li-Ion)