OT: European delivery and PDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default OT: European delivery and PDI

Hello,

I have a standing order for a Macan Turbo and GT3RS and I've selected European delivery on both. I know, I know, ...lovely . My issue, however, is that the dealer wants to charge PDI on both (around $1,100 per car) upon having the vehicles shipped to Canada and I just don't see the point in paying that. According to Porsche, the vehicles will be inspected prior to factory pick-up and again when I drop them off prior to shipping. Why am I being charged for a 3rd inspection? It is also worth mentioning that being charged for the PDI never made sense to me in the first place. When I buy a car, I expect to get a functional and safe vehicle. Why should I pay extra for that?

Thoughts please....
Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have ED also from Toronto.

However, there would be a PDI charge if you did not do ED, so not sure why you would get a freebie by doing ED. Somewhere along the line the pricing structure has it built in. So you get three PDIs for the price of one

Built into dealer profit margin on pretty much all cars in my experience.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:31 PM
serval
Racer

I don't really agree. There is a cost to the ED, and that cost is paying sticker price. In deeply discounted models, the dealer will not offer ED for free. Ask me how I know (997 turbo, 12K under MSRP, dealer refused to do ED despite what Porsche Canada claimed. Reasoning was that there's not enough profit to cover, wanted $2,500 extra). So, no I don't see it as getting three PDI for one, I see it as paying $1,100.00 for a superfluous PDI for no reason If the car is deemed safe at the factory and I'm allowed to drive it on the autobahn, it should be safe for Front St )))
Old 05-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Well, given the demand for the RS the discount possibility is zero. So, choices are:

List, incl PDI delivered in Canada

or

List , ED, incl PDI when delivered to Canada.

While the car has been used , it comes into Canada as a new unregistered vehicle ( hence the horrendous VAT prepayment you have to make until the car has landed..federal regulation).
Evidently all cars are inspected by Porsche before shipment, no different for an ED or a new car. Then, they are shipped and packed up with various protective elements. When unpacked at this end they get a damage inspection and dealer inspection, to the process is the same.

If you have a car with a huge local discount available, then ED makes no real sense as you lose the discount. As you know, you cannot trade in a car against an ED car, you cannot use third party financing and a bunch of other stuff, so the program is definitely not for everyone.

In my case I typically use it for cars that are not really going to be discounted at the dealers, so my net cost is nil. ( of course, you should account for the free entrance to the museum and a free hotel night in terms of the net economics).

Still, not for everybody, no doubt. I have had very good experience with it at both Porsche and BMW.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ED ( Factory collection ) for a UK car costs $3000 plus and it's a chargable extra.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

When I picked my 2010 RS.2 at Porsche it was a $5k ED charge., but they decided that in this market they would discontinue the practice for the current program.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:45 PM
serval
Racer

3000 pounds ?!?!? I stand corrected!! Paying PDI and counting my blessings. Thanks Ronan

Quick Reply: OT: European delivery and PDI