Sponsored by:

GT3 or GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That is a great option for some, but it can't compete with some of the perks of buying a new car (like European Delivery).
Don't forget a 4-year track warranty, pretty amazing in the scheme of things.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I prefer the look of gt3 over gt4! And don't forget you can buy a gt3 right away. Not so much for the gt4 if you didn't sign up a long time ago.
I would go for the gt3. If you get bored with the PDK after 10 track days you can sell it and buy your MT gt4.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
The smaller dimensions and lighter weight are definite positives, and I too admit I'm skeptical of the center locks given the hassle.

If the GT3 is really 10x the car of the M3 I'm sold... would love to drive both first but that is almost impossible. I'm with you on the engine.. how long before 9000 RPM internal combustion is no longer available and it's replaced by elector motors?

Are you adding the GT4 and a GT3, or just prefer the GT4 due to value?

This is a god thought too.. try the mini me first and then make the jump.

Yeah, I miss having a manual at times myself, but I'm not sure I would want a manual GT3 with those gear ratios. The GT4 seems geared tall enough to make it feasible to shift.

Aha! I knew there had to be others considering both.
Unfortunately the Z06 is not as robust as the ZR1, at least mine wasnt. Should have been a great car on paper, but I'm so relieved to be done with it!

Who knows when or if I will get allocations, but trying both is a good idea. Likely would just be out the taxes on one, but I fear I would want to keep both!

Have you driven a 991 gt3? Curious how it compares to the ZR1.
As a multiple Vette owner the previous Z and ZR were VERY close on a circuit. The Z was obviously much cheaper also. In a straight line the ZR pulls, but even for the quarter stock the two were very close.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
The smaller dimensions and lighter weight are definite positives, and I too admit I'm skeptical of the center locks given the hassle.

Aha! I knew there had to be others considering both.
Unfortunately the Z06 is not as robust as the ZR1, at least mine wasnt. Should have been a great car on paper, but I'm so relieved to be done with it!

Who knows when or if I will get allocations, but trying both is a good idea. Likely would just be out the taxes on one, but I fear I would want to keep both!

Have you driven a 991 gt3? Curious how it compares to the ZR1.

I have both....get the GT3

Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

[QUOTE=kfmcmahon;12262502]I have both....get the GT3

No arguement there, just curious if you could add some more color on the differences for those of us who haven't driven the GT3 but have driven a zr1.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 if cost is not a factor
Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a tough one for me as both cars bring their own unique attributes to the table. Hence why I am getting both. Already have the GT3 and love it, looking like Sept. I will have the GT4. Once I have both, I will share my thoughts on both.

My only issue is a will have to get rid of my 996 GT3 to make room for the GT4. I am struggling with this as it is the RAW more involved driving experience that I like most. I only hope the GT4 will bring enough of this to satisfy me. As someone said earlier, I am not looking to "win" any DE's. It's the driving experience that I enjoy most. I only hope the GT4 can bring some of this "involvement" along. As I am getting older, I am more open to the new car refinement, but still want some of that RAW driving mixed in with the refinement. I believe the GT4 might just be that the car to pull it off. Time will tell
Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
I would to get Gt3 just because of the engine
Regarding the 1GT3's 9A1, here is an excerpt from Chris Harris' review of the GT4:

It isn’t perfect – the long gearing is too much on the circuit as well. This is a double shame because you don’t get to enjoy that delicious shift action as often as you’d like! The steering is too mute and you are always aware that this is a ‘normal’ engine and not a motorsport special like the crazy 9k motor in the GT3. And this is where we have to remember how tricky the role of the GT4 is within Porsche’s model range. It somehow needs to be the car we’ve always wanted the Cayman to be, but it simply must not tread on the GT3’s toes.

Given the disparate nature of those requirements I think Porsche has done a superb job, but – and here’s the rub – I wouldn’t sell my 991 GT3 to own a GT4 unless I was absolutely obsessed with the manual gear change. The bigger car’s engine is on a completely different level, and it offers more options to play with lines and angles at speed on a circuit. And it is way, way quicker and more aggressive.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes what Chris Harris said is true and thus the reason Porsche has priced the 4 $45K cheaper than a gt3. Lets not forget this. We can compare the two all day long but they are not the same. Will there times be close on most circuits? Yes. These cars just can't be compared with only lap times taken into account. The bottom line is they are both great cars and you aren't going to be wrong choosing either. Too many people thing the "faster" car is always the better choice i.e. Lambo drivers. That ones just for you ATXGT3 I will also admit that I am looking at these cars as weekend/fun cars and not as a track person therefore PDK-s doesn't really mean much to me. I have PDK in my 4s right now and while nice for daily driving its quite boring even when shifting it myself in manual mode.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:03 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
This was a tough one for me as both cars bring their own unique attributes to the table. Hence why I am getting both. Already have the GT3 and love it, looking like Sept. I will have the GT4. Once I have both, I will share my thoughts on both.

My only issue is a will have to get rid of my 996 GT3 to make room for the GT4. I am struggling with this as it is the RAW more involved driving experience that I like most. I only hope the GT4 will bring enough of this to satisfy me. As someone said earlier, I am not looking to "win" any DE's. It's the driving experience that I enjoy most. I only hope the GT4 can bring some of this "involvement" along. As I am getting older, I am more open to the new car refinement, but still want some of that RAW driving mixed in with the refinement. I believe the GT4 might just be that the car to pull it off. Time will tell
Congrats on getting both! I agree the newer cars have lost some of the rawness over the years which I miss as well. My 2003 Z06 was much more raw and lighter than the 2015 Z06. If the GT4 brings back some of that rawness coupled with Porsche polish and reliability, it will be epic!

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Regarding the 1GT3's 9A1, here is an excerpt from Chris Harris' review of the GT4:

It isn’t perfect – the long gearing is too much on the circuit as well. This is a double shame because you don’t get to enjoy that delicious shift action as often as you’d like! The steering is too mute and you are always aware that this is a ‘normal’ engine and not a motorsport special like the crazy 9k motor in the GT3. And this is where we have to remember how tricky the role of the GT4 is within Porsche’s model range. It somehow needs to be the car we’ve always wanted the Cayman to be, but it simply must not tread on the GT3’s toes.

Given the disparate nature of those requirements I think Porsche has done a superb job, but – and here’s the rub – I wouldn’t sell my 991 GT3 to own a GT4 unless I was absolutely obsessed with the manual gear change. The bigger car’s engine is on a completely different level, and it offers more options to play with lines and angles at speed on a circuit. And it is way, way quicker and more aggressive.
I agree the GT3 engine is "mega" as Harris says. I wonder how much power is on the table with headers, intake, and exhaust on the GT4?

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Yes what Chris Harris said is true and thus the reason Porsche has priced the 4 $45K cheaper than a gt3. Lets not forget this. We can compare the two all day long but they are not the same. Will there times be close on most circuits? Yes. These cars just can't be compared with only lap times taken into account. The bottom line is they are both great cars and you aren't going to be wrong choosing either. Too many people thing the "faster" car is always the better choice i.e. Lambo drivers. That ones just for you ATXGT3 I will also admit that I am looking at these cars as weekend/fun cars and not as a track person therefore PDK-s doesn't really mean much to me. I have PDK in my 4s right now and while nice for daily driving its quite boring even when shifting it myself in manual mode.
True, given the price point they are not really direct competitors. $45k is a significant delta given its 50% of a GT4. How much more does the GT3 engine alone cost?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM
FORENN
Banned

Yes, it's a lower car for a lower price. Great car, arguably an even better value than a GT3, which I've said myself elsewhere on RL. But if money is not the issue (and it's not for many, including the fellow who started this thread), Harris' point is you'd really need to be married to MT to choose the 4 over the 3.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Late to the game on GT4 at local dealer and pretty far down the current list. Was offered a sure thing on a 16 GT3 and turned it down for following reasons.

I don't like flappy paddles
I don't like CL wheels
GT4 reminds me of my 6GT3's in its specs but lighter, I don't mind an 80mph 2nd gear and running most tracks without needing 5th.
$45k delta is also a lot of consumables and track time
I will never be able to get the most out of any P car so the higher limits of the GT3 doesn't make me a better drover

Peter
Old 05-07-2015, 11:33 AM
williambnj
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting a GT4 expected delivery first week September (have been on the list for almost 2 yrs)... dealer called and said rumblings about 2016 GT3s would you want one? Said yes of course so now I have a problem if this pans out.... GT4 and GT3 would be coming just about the same time and garage space will become an issue! Oh well YOLO
Old 05-07-2015, 03:49 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PDK is nothing like the PDK-S. I own/owned both and there is no comparison.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by RossL
The PDK is nothing like the PDK-S. I own/owned both and there is no comparison.
This is pretty much consensus among folks who have driven/owned both.

Quick Reply: GT3 or GT4?