Sponsored by:

GT3 or GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
As your first Porsche do you really want a Cayman or a 911? Most of the people here that are opting for the GT4 already have or had Porsches in the past so they've experienced the flagship car. If you get the GT4 and are like me, you will still want the GT3 since it's one of the best that Porsche has to offer. My suggestion is get the GT3 now. It's 10x better than the M3 and at COTA you will get to really open it up and hear the 9k symphony which you can't get in the GT4!

For reference, I owned an e90 M3 with DCT and after a month I hated the fast shifting automatic (that's what it feels like). It's too smooth and refined and frankly boring. The GT3's PDK-S is completely different and much more fun. I enjoy shifting the car where with the standard PDK and DCT I left them in automatic because shifting was too boring.
^ YES!!!

GregJGT3
(Former M3 DCT and RS5 DCT owner)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:08 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Buyers will hope at least...
It will hold its value as well if not better than the GT3.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yes.

Looks are subjective,but I've seen the GT3 in person a few times : it's gorgeous! Best looking 911 IMO. Pics don't do it justice. But then again,I have not seen a GT4 in person... We'll see...
Then,there's the engine : yes,it is very cool to have a dry sump that revs to 9K,but AP said it,not me : " the RS will rev to 8800 and customers won't know the difference in 200 revs ". Is that marketing talk or reality,I don't know... The truth is : on the street 9K or 7800K won't make a difference. They're both DFI and will suffer from carbon buildup anyway... LOL.
The point is : I'll be doing 90% street driving and I just can't do flappies! There is absolutely no comparison in terms of enjoyment! Of that I'm sure!
On the PDK-S: That was my opinion going in until I took delivery of the GT3 and lived with it for a while. Don't be so sure of your last statement...
Old 05-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT3 for sure. I'm just sayin'
Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
On the PDK-S: That was my opinion going in until I took delivery of the GT3 and lived with it for a while. Don't be so sure of your last statement...
after experiencing PDK-S, I don't miss 3 pedals one bit. Why handicap yourself ? Bye Bye 3rd pedal
Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

There's nothing like driving a 911. Once you really "get it" and you feel that rear end slingshot out of the apex, there is nothing like it.

I don't know about you guys, but I have never been able to get excited about the cayman/boxster line, no matter if they put a basic 911 engine into it and add the GT3 underpinnings.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It will be interesting to see how many people take the manual option in the next gen gt3, especially since less than 1% of people on here race for any money. Everyone takes these cars to the track for fun. Who the hell cares if your time is .5 secs better because of pdk. It gets a little boring after a while imho and thus the reason I'm going with the gt4 until the next gt3 if indeed it has a manual option. If not, then gt4rs for me
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
There's nothing like driving a 911. Once you really "get it" and you feel that rear end slingshot out of the apex, there is nothing like it.

I don't know about you guys, but I have never been able to get excited about the cayman/boxster line, no matter if they put a basic 911 engine into it and add the GT3 underpinnings.
I have limited time in a Cayman but my lap times were decent for first time in the car (Racecar, so may not be accurate) but I felt something was missing, darty, less stable under braking and less traction out of the corner.

Love the manual, 5 lug, LSD and price though...

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
It will be interesting to see how many people take the manual option in the next gen gt3, especially since less than 1% of people on here race for any money. Everyone takes these cars to the track for fun. Who the hell cares if your time is .5 secs better because of pdk. It gets a little boring after a while imho and thus the reason I'm going with the gt4 until the next gt3 if indeed it has a manual option. If not, then gt4rs for me
I think half the GT4 buyers would be buying manual GT3's.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM
KMKCMT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get Both! But start with the GT3!!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Well it does come down to individual taste and experience. As you can appreciate from my "car list" almost all of my cars are manual transmission - and there is plenty to go around there for track time. Most of the time in my GT3 will be street time and I really believe this Porsche is the ultimate old school 911 Porsche experience with some modern niceties thrown-in for creature comfort. It will be a looooong time before someone could pry this car out of my hands...including my grip on the paddles.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Mike, glad you posted this thread. I currently has a '10 ZR1 that I track quite a bit (I've run COTA 10 times or so at this point and love it) and also have a deposit on a GT4. Well, I went to check on where I was on the list at the dealership this past Saturday (after having two drinks and being in a great mood with the weather this past weekend in DFW) and found out I was #3 on their list after the first wave of allocations, so I should be in the next wave.

Well, while I was there and happy, I asked about the GT3. I will post up in a few more days more about that particular story if everything works out. That's all I'll say for now.

Either way, I plan to keep the ZR1. I just love the car, but I'm ready to have another toy. This will be my first P-car.

Your comments comparing the GT3 and GT4 are about what I think too. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way and with the limited supply and, more importantly, the limited depreciation, I say get the GT3 and get the GT4 too when it comes in and then decide from there. That is what I'm trying to do.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:48 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will hold its value as well if not better than the GT3.
Porsche will build as many as they want/can....just wait....

And as to manual--well that's SO 1980's.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
GT3 and it's not close. And I'm an MT guy with a GT4 on order.

Btw, GT3 looks waaayyyyy better. Best looking pcar out there, by far, in my opinion.
+1, this was my sentiment as well. I had a #1 spot for a GT4 but chose a 15 GT3 when one became available. Having come from previous manual GT3/RS and GT2 versions, I was really astounded by the 991 GT3. The PDK-S really compliments this car and that 9k motor is something to experience. That said, either choice is a good one and each have unique merits. I recently picked up a nice 08 S2000 for my manual fun car.

Last edited by NelsonF; 05-06-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
No, I also felt that the GT4 offered more car for the money and I like the smaller dimensions and lighter weight of the 4. Many will prefer the mid-engined balance, but as a long-time 911 driver I would have preferred rear engine if all other variables had been equal.

I also hated the idea of the centerlock wheels (and all the hassle that entails) and was thrilled when the GT4 came with 5-lugs.
The smaller dimensions and lighter weight are definite positives, and I too admit I'm skeptical of the center locks given the hassle.

Originally Posted by RossL
As your first Porsche do you really want a Cayman or a 911? Most of the people here that are opting for the GT4 already have or had Porsches in the past so they've experienced the flagship car. If you get the GT4 and are like me, you will still want the GT3 since it's one of the best that Porsche has to offer. My suggestion is get the GT3 now. It's 10x better than the M3 and at COTA you will get to really open it up and hear the 9k symphony which you can't get in the GT4!

For reference, I owned an e90 M3 with DCT and after a month I hated the fast shifting automatic (that's what it feels like). It's too smooth and refined and frankly boring. The GT3's PDK-S is completely different and much more fun. I enjoy shifting the car where with the standard PDK and DCT I left them in automatic because shifting was too boring.
If the GT3 is really 10x the car of the M3 I'm sold... would love to drive both first but that is almost impossible. I'm with you on the engine.. how long before 9000 RPM internal combustion is no longer available and it's replaced by elector motors?

Originally Posted by zedcat
I am a mid-engine guy and when the GT4 was first announced I thought, dang I would have picked that over the GT3. Then I drove the GT3 at TWS for the first time last Friday. Wow like wow. If money is not an issue get the GT3. Especially if you are mostly tracking at COTA. I do have a deposit on a GT4 and luckily have enough garage space - if I ever get an allocation.
Are you adding the GT4 and a GT3, or just prefer the GT4 due to value?

Go with the gt4 right now. Put your name down on the deposit list for either the RS or next gen gt3 when it comes out in a couple years. The 4 will hardly lose any value over the next two years.
This is a god thought too.. try the mini me first and then make the jump.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yes.

Looks are subjective,but I've seen the GT3 in person a few times : it's gorgeous! Best looking 911 IMO. Pics don't do it justice. But then again,I have not seen a GT4 in person... We'll see...
Then,there's the engine : yes,it is very cool to have a dry sump that revs to 9K,but AP said it,not me : " the RS will rev to 8800 and customers won't know the difference in 200 revs ". Is that marketing talk or reality,I don't know... The truth is : on the street 9K or 7800K won't make a difference. They're both DFI and will suffer from carbon buildup anyway... LOL.
The point is : I'll be doing 90% street driving and I just can't do flappies! There is absolutely no comparison in terms of enjoyment! Of that I'm sure!
Yeah, I miss having a manual at times myself, but I'm not sure I would want a manual GT3 with those gear ratios. The GT4 seems geared tall enough to make it feasible to shift.

Originally Posted by Quikag
Mike, glad you posted this thread. I currently has a '10 ZR1 that I track quite a bit (I've run COTA 10 times or so at this point and love it) and also have a deposit on a GT4. Well, I went to check on where I was on the list at the dealership this past Saturday (after having two drinks and being in a great mood with the weather this past weekend in DFW) and found out I was #3 on their list after the first wave of allocations, so I should be in the next wave.

Well, while I was there and happy, I asked about the GT3. I will post up in a few more days more about that particular story if everything works out. That's all I'll say for now.

Either way, I plan to keep the ZR1. I just love the car, but I'm ready to have another toy. This will be my first P-car.

Your comments comparing the GT3 and GT4 are about what I think too. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way and with the limited supply and, more importantly, the limited depreciation, I say get the GT3 and get the GT4 too when it comes in and then decide from there. That is what I'm trying to do.
Aha! I knew there had to be others considering both.
Unfortunately the Z06 is not as robust as the ZR1, at least mine wasnt. Should have been a great car on paper, but I'm so relieved to be done with it!

Who knows when or if I will get allocations, but trying both is a good idea. Likely would just be out the taxes on one, but I fear I would want to keep both!

Have you driven a 991 gt3? Curious how it compares to the ZR1.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
And as to manual--well that's SO 1980's.
Hydraulic steering is also so 1970,yet it's better than electric.
Internal combustion engines are sooo 1960,electric motors provide so much torque and zero emissions.
Should I go on?

Quick Reply: GT3 or GT4?