991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting news from AP

Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power has never been the real winner.. The GT3 can keep up with a speciale on track, with much less power..

Turbo war will soon end when the tires are on their limits.
I really want to see the power/torque curve on the new 488.. With that much torque and power, will it be driveable in 1st and 2nd gear? I guess they must linearize it or limit torque to prevent spin, if so, the power is just a peak number.. Or maybe boost by gear?

As for AP, I think he'll have a hard time reducing more weight on 991.. Maybe the next gen, I see a "partial" carbon tub soon, to avoid price bump as someone mentioned above.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

So are you guys going to dump your PDK cars when the manual transmission becomes available again?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

520 HP with a manual..........no way
Old 05-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
So are you guys going to dump your PDK cars when the manual transmission becomes available again?
I knew someone would toss that grenade into the room at some point...
Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Ummmmm a bunch of RS's will be availble ........just wait it out!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I would have to try the new manual first. If it has the feel of the current 7 speed....not in a heartbeat!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

AMEN. That pretty much means I'll be waiting for the 3-pedal 991.2 GT3RS.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
520 HP with a manual..........no way
Easy peasy bro.

Something similar to the Cayman-GT4 manual clutch is what you can expect for the next gen GT3's. A lightened dual-mass flywheel, and self-adjusting pressure plate.

Both work very well to preserve the clutch/drivetrain, especially for the countless owners who don't know how to heel-toe downshift a 911.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
No disrespect to AP, but maybe he should worry more about making a car faster than the GTR (the new one will probably be crazy fast) and Z06 than complaining about a hp war. Besides, until recently, the turbo models had been pretty competitive on HP alone. Sorry to say it, but smaller displacement turbo is the future. AP is a relic. The smaller engines make more HP, tq, and are lighter.
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I don't mean any disrespect but I think you are way off here. Porsche could very easily get Microsoft syndrome and forget that there are a lot of new competitors in this space. Porsche became famous because his cars were better. If I find a car better than the GT3, I'll certainly consider it. Ferrari gets it. Regardless, let's not forget that Chevy managed to make a Lot more HP and TQ from a NA engine, and got better fuel economy as well. I'm sure Porsche will be fine, but AP should change his tune. Porsche needs to do what they can to innovate. The 918 is the future. Why Isn't porsche spending their time making an amazing street hybrid (like the GT3R Hybrid but more street focused.) Honestly, I don't think people put as much stock in HP as they do in straight line times and track times. At least reviewers do.
Personally, I think APs thinking is spot on.

A GTR could be compared to a 911 turbo if anything. A GTR can easily be modified to have ridculous amounts of horsepower something that wont ever happen with a GT3 nor was it ever so intended. I originally planned to buy a GTR after having owned Nissans for over 25 years, and still do by the way but, I concluded a GT3 is the better car primarily because of build quality and the interior. A buddy from a different forum convinced me this is the case and he was quite correct and I'm glad I bought a GT3 over a GTR. At that time, I hadn't even considered the benefits of PDK-S or normal aspiration over turbo charging but in hindsight, these are additional things that make the GT3 a better car for me. A GTRs interior sucks and it's stying is questionable. Our GT3s are gorgous, the GTR, not so much.

Realistically, the GT3 is far more performance than I will ever need. I found the limits of the car and my driving limits as well at a track at 120 mph. It's safe to say I can't use much more than 1/2 of the cars potential on the freeways or in the canyons without facing a reckless driving charge. So, why do I need 600, 700 or 800 hp? I don't. I can't even use all of the GT3s power as is. So, why would I need a 1,000 hp GTR? I never street race nor do I go to the strip for time slips so, who cares about that? It's about fun and the twisties, not about "living life 10 seconds at a time." Lighter, easier and quicker through the curves, yeah, give me more of that any day.

AP is absolutely the man.

Dan (gives Steve/Raceboy credit for some good advice)

Last edited by hfm; 05-06-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A manual would be great but AP has stated in the past that PDK only was partly for RWS to work properly. So will they ditch that for a manual option or will they enhance a manual to have a computer like PDK? Also AP is an Engineer and not the board. His opinions line up well with what we want but the board dictates all. I'd bet the GT4 is a test bed for a manual market. If the car sells well and makes them money, I think there is a chance. We'll see over the coming years how many they produce and how fast they sell. Fingers crossed nevertheless.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
A manual would be great but AP has stated in the past that PDK only was partly for RWS to work properly. So will they ditch that for a manual option or will they enhance a manual to have a computer like PDK? Also AP is an Engineer and not the board. His opinions line up well with what we want but the board dictates all. I'd bet the GT4 is a test bed for a manual market. If the car sells well and makes them money, I think there is a chance. We'll see over the coming years how many they produce and how fast they sell. Fingers crossed nevertheless.
+1^
Old 05-06-2015, 06:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
If the car sells well and makes them money, I think there is a chance.
IF?! There are 30 names lists at most dealers!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 319 Posts

Personally, one of the most satisfying and usable real world performance features is acceleration, even if in short bursts. I'm still in awe by the thrust of my 12C and part of the reason I ordered a 675LT is to get even more of that. Experiencing 0-200 in 7.9 seconds is sure to take anyone's breath away - even non car enthusiasts. It's a reliable dragster that can also turn and stop.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:53 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
All the stuff a few of us have been preaching for years on this forum. Nice to see they're starting to listen.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,702 Likes on 2,153 Posts

Good article and good direction for Porsche. AP is the real deal. Will be interesting to see how reducing weight affects prices, and the tradeoff with safety also needs to be considered. Manual 991 GT3 sounds appealing, but could feel anemic if still paired with an engine that wants revs as much as the current one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting news from AP