Sponsored by:

Interesting news from AP

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
No disrespect to AP, but maybe he should worry more about making a car faster than the GTR (the new one will probably be crazy fast) and Z06 than complaining about a hp war. Besides, until recently, the turbo models had been pretty competitive on HP alone. Sorry to say it, but smaller displacement turbo is the future. AP is a relic. The smaller engines make more HP, tq, and are lighter.
Turbos suck and AP knows it, as do the Fiat engineers (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...turbocharging/). More power to Porsche if then can keep the GT3 N/A. And honestly who cares whether GTR and Z06 are faster on paper? There are a ton of cars that are faster and Porsche isn't having any trouble moving GT3's.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I read 5L flat 8, CF tub and manual.
Hmm, manual yes; flat 8, can't see it; CF tub 911 = big cost jump, hard to see as well.

But you never know..............http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...sche-9148.aspx
Old 05-06-2015, 11:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Even the new 7 series BMW is a CF tub combo.
All new models will be exotic metals or CF combo's to go lighter.

Turbo is everywhere and to stay non Turbo, non Kers (Heavy) the simplest way to make light weight more HP and decent NA torque is more CC. 2 more cylinders will weigh less than PDK.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Turbos suck and AP knows it, as do the Fiat engineers (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...turbocharging/). More power to Porsche if then can keep the GT3 N/A. And honestly who cares whether GTR and Z06 are faster on paper? There are a ton of cars that are faster and Porsche isn't having any trouble moving GT3's.
Well said …and completely agree.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:52 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
now the challenge is to push as much as possible current engine and then drop as much as possible useless weight...
PDK-S will drop 60 kg.
afterwards it is carbon fiber every where and lighter chassis...see the cost $$$$$$$
If maintaining performance numbers is important, dropping the PDK-S will be a diminishing return. Is the weight difference between the manual and the PDK-S really 60 KG? Seems a little high. That would help handling, but acceleration and corner entry selection would suffer.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

!! The board finally came around!

Nice... Time to go get a deposit down.

Lighter is great. I'm not sure exactly how they'll do it however. The GT3 a great value because of what it shares with the Carrera. A carbon tub requires different geometry and would be hard to add after the fact. On the other hand we know they can drop 100 lbs from the engine if they want to, so there are options.

I totally agree with not chasing outright speed with the GT3. On the other hand I also agree Porsche still needs a car that can scalp the GT-R at the 'Ring, at least for a while...

Sticking with NA is another smart move. Forced induction is a cheap way to reduce emissions, but it's no lighter and it's still less precise and involving. The 918's engine weighs just 300 lbs and makes more power than any turbo street engine of comparable weight. Even if street turbos exceed this (no time soon) I'm not sure the incremental weight reduction would outweigh the loss of throttle precision. I'll stick with NA for this use...
Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
If maintaining performance numbers is important, dropping the PDK-S will be a diminishing return. Is the weight difference between the manual and the PDK-S really 60 KG? Seems a little high. That would help handling, but acceleration and corner entry selection would suffer.
I think it's 66 pounds (30kg)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Forget GT4RS.

991 RSAmerica!

5 lug
LSD aggressive
6 speed, super short gearing top speed 175
No leather anywhere
No stitching anywhere
No radio
No carpet
No options
No CF anywhere that does not save weight.
GT3 roof and frunk (Cheaper, part of the decontent look)
Comes with AC.
2 race seats with Halo removable
no color choice - white only
Cheap OZ wheels
CS package in a box

As-is 20K cheaper than current RS.

Only 3 boxes to tick;
Side muffler delete in a box
Lexan in a box
PDK
Old 05-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ Been waiting for that since the 997 debuted...
Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Hmm, manual yes; flat 8, can't see it; CF tub 911 = big cost jump, hard to see as well.

But you never know..............http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...sche-9148.aspx
I don't mean any disrespect but I think you are way off here. Porsche could very easily get Microsoft syndrome and forget that there are a lot of new competitors in this space. Porsche became famous because his cars were better. If I find a car better than the GT3, I'll certainly consider it. Ferrari gets it. Regardless, let's not forget that Chevy managed to make a Lot more HP and TQ from a NA engine, and got better fuel economy as well. I'm sure Porsche will be fine, but AP should change his tune. Porsche needs to do what they can to innovate. The 918 is the future. Why Isn't porsche spending their time making an amazing street hybrid (like the GT3R Hybrid but more street focused.) Honestly, I don't think people put as much stock in HP as they do in straight line times and track times. At least reviewers do.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 PM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Music to my ears. No reason to chase Nissan or Chevy into the stratosphere. Different cars for people with different desires. I would think most people who frequent this forum are in full agreement with AP on all that was said.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:17 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Very well said Preuninger
you are the man better understanding the 911 philosophy

He has strong views on the ongoing Nurburgring Nordschleife production car lap time crusades.
He suggests that rather than designing a car capable of a headline-grabbing time in the hands of a professional driver,
making the chassis confidence-inspiring and fun to drive for mere mortals should be more important.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Originally Posted by GrantG
I think it's 66 pounds (30kg)
then there is a lot of carbon fiber to incorporate and a lot more $$$$$$
I agree you have to drop of lot of kg to counter attack the loose of PDK-S...

Old 05-06-2015, 03:26 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

BUT because you listen please in 991.2 GT3 ENHANCE the PDK-S to
A) Much Lighter than the current 115 Kg ( we don t have the TT Torque on GT3...)
B) Changeable gears ratio like in the past,
so we can customize car personality according to the specific track/daily usage/ different environment

It would make a big difference in compare to any other brand

and for nostalgic if you offer manual on expensive GT3 or
RS ( different story for cheaper cayman)
Offer something very close to Motorsport sequential gearbox....

It would make a big difference in compare to any other brand
Old 05-06-2015, 03:40 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

That is good news! Just wonder when? Not likely that 991.2 will be lighter. But hopefully 2020 when next generation gt3/RS will come out! 2750 pounds and 500hp! Yummy.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I don't mean any disrespect but I think you are way off here. Porsche could very easily get Microsoft syndrome and forget that there are a lot of new competitors in this space. Porsche became famous because his cars were better. If I find a car better than the GT3, I'll certainly consider it. Ferrari gets it. Regardless, let's not forget that Chevy managed to make a Lot more HP and TQ from a NA engine, and got better fuel economy as well. I'm sure Porsche will be fine, but AP should change his tune. Porsche needs to do what they can to innovate. The 918 is the future. Why Isn't porsche spending their time making an amazing street hybrid (like the GT3R Hybrid but more street focused.) Honestly, I don't think people put as much stock in HP as they do in straight line times and track times. At least reviewers do.
"better" is subjective…..I think a 997 GT3 RS is much "better" than a new Mclaren with a turbo.

Ferrari does not "get it". They were forced to go turbo…..and would much prefer to stay NA.

I like AP's tune just fine.

Quick Reply: Interesting news from AP