Cantrell Rollbar Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What is the warning? Just a pling?
The now tanks are much needed. The last 4.0 sucked the tank dry in 45 minutes = refuel between every single session..
warning chime and the computer screen overriding whatever you had on display originally (I usually have tire pressure screen showing). You have to manually pull on the stalk to clear the warning while driving. Then it comes back again.

On a 25 minute session at thill, I go through 1/2 tank. The warning chime goes on almost every session I'm out there.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
warning chime and the computer screen overriding whatever you had on display originally (I usually have tire pressure screen showing). You have to manually pull on the stalk to clear the warning while driving. Then it comes back again.

On a 25 minute session at thill, I go through 1/2 tank. The warning chime goes on almost every session I'm out there.
Maybe that can be programmed out?
Maybe reset MPG on cool down lap so it averages up a bit and so it will think it has a bit more range.

1/2 of the 90l tank? I hope not, that does not bode well for the RS...
Old 05-01-2015, 01:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Maybe reset MPG on cool down lap so it averages up a bit and so it will think it has a bit more range.

Not 1/2 of the 90L tank. Starting from 1/2 way mark
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Cantrell says no bars for approximately 2 weeks until they get back from fab...
now you know why i order dozen at a time and buy tires 60 at a time. i dont like out of stock

So we get different seats then the ROW or Porsche makes holes in the same seats.
So this needs to get done even if I just stick in a harness bar?

What a clusterf@ck.
you just noticed?

Originally Posted by rockitman
It will be a significantly shorter install now that Cantrell has a sub bar that is far easier and quicker to install than the GMG plate version that requires drilling into the tub and a special tool for the threaded rivots that hold the plate in place. The Cantrell sub bar mount is a huge step forward, imho.
i watched pro installed. he did 5 already. you can't rush it. it takes good two days and lots of beers and pizza.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yep, passenger track seat not set up for track use, headrest of track seats pushes head forward when wearing helmet, gas gauge doesn't account for extra gas in the extended tank, well-known buffeting problem still not fixed by Porsche years after becoming known, burns oil at the track as though it's gas, OEM Michelin tires currently out of stock, TPM behavior is whacky when tire pressures are lowered for track despite having a circuit mode, limited ability to add camber without aftermarket parts ... otherwise great car though!
hey, this is only year 2 or 3 of the new frontier. give it time. mezger only had what 50 years? and still has RMS leak. at least they dont burn up anymore hahaha

new piwis can't program out all the stuff like the old piwis and durametric has no sol'n yet. but if you goto this store called HOME DEPOT and ask kinds the largest sledge hammer. it will resolve the warning light issue pronto.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yep, passenger track seat not set up for track use, headrest of track seats pushes head forward when wearing helmet, gas gauge doesn't account for extra gas in the extended tank, well-known buffeting problem still not fixed by Porsche years after becoming known, burns oil at the track as though it's gas, OEM Michelin tires currently out of stock, TPM behavior is whacky when tire pressures are lowered for track despite having a circuit mode, limited ability to add camber without aftermarket parts ... otherwise great car though!
I think these are all LHD/US issues.

Row clubsport comes with GT2 buckets with passenger cut out. Headrests work well with helmets. I don't believe it's the seat angle as it appears they are at least as laid back as the one piece buckets but the overall curve/shape of the seat is better and the base squab is shorter. They also seem more wear resistant than new seat from what I gather. rHD cars have no extended tank option so no issues there and the race circuit model is fiddle but does work. The trick here I find is to not lower the cold/hot pressures below 26. Start the first session on cold 26 then go from there. I just spent the weekend on a damp/wet track with 18-20c ambient temps and found 26 cold for the fronts ideal as I never put more than +4c into the tyres due to the wet track and I was surprised 30-32 hot on the fronts ran very nicely with 35-36 on the rears. I'm thinking the Mechlin guide for hot pressures on track with MPSC2 at 32/36 is quite realistic...

I have 918 seats in my planned GT4 but I'm wishing the Gt2 seats were available because though the former look better the later fit nicer and are tried and tested... But I agree the fuel gauge should read accurately there is no excuse!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think these are all LHD/US issues.

Row clubsport comes with GT2 buckets with passenger cut out. Headrests work well with helmets. I don't believe it's the seat angle as it appears they are at least as laid back as the one piece buckets but the overall curve/shape of the seat is better and the base squab is shorter. They also seem more wear resistant than new seat from what I gather. rHD cars have no extended tank option so no issues there and the race circuit model is fiddle but does work. The trick here I find is to not lower the cold/hot pressures below 26. Start the first session on cold 26 then go from there. I just spent the weekend on a damp/wet track with 18-20c ambient temps and found 26 cold for the fronts ideal as I never put more than +4c into the tyres due to the wet track and I was surprised 30-32 hot on the fronts ran very nicely with 35-36 on the rears. I'm thinking the Mechlin guide for hot pressures on track with MPSC2 at 32/36 is quite realistic...

I have 918 seats in my planned GT4 but I'm wishing the Gt2 seats were available because though the former look better the later fit nicer and are tried and tested... But I agree the fuel gauge should read accurately there is no excuse!
Good to see you posting about trivial car stuff again! I hope your recovery in Vanuatu is going well.

I try to start at or above 26, but if I set 30 or 31 hot at the end of the prior session, and the car has been sitting for a while, it winds up dropping below 26.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Love my new Cantrell Roll Bar! Griffin Motorsports installed it perfectly.
Attached Images   
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Why is your bar missing the guides?
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Don't know. Maybe because I bought it from a shady after market dealer and not Cantrell direct...(Mooty!)
Old 05-01-2015, 12:40 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine1won
Don't know. Maybe because I bought it from a shady after market dealer and not Cantrell direct...(Mooty!)
Looks good (even without the guides). I'm planning to start at 7 AM tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad. Little bit of patience and elbow grease.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

White bar with silver belts. Looks Gooood!.

Some of us opted to no have the belt guides welded in (theoretically a weak point/stress riser) and are using aluminum or steel collars instead.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Some of us opted to no have the belt guides welded in (theoretically a weak point/stress riser) and are using aluminum or steel collars instead.

Thanks Joe! I was going to go red belts until I saw the silver. Matches the stitching well. Yes, I'll be getting steel collars soon!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics of the collars ? How are the welded guides a weak point. It seems to me they are there to keep the belts from sliding to the left or right. They are still wrapped around the bar.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joe! I was going to go red belts until I saw the silver. Matches the stitching well. Yes, I'll be getting steel collars soon!
The cantrell bar diameter is 1.75", but with powercoating, it comes to 1.774". To avoid damage to the bar, we had custom collars made. They were only $9.50 each for custom made aluminum ones. Email raceparts@frontiernet.net (www.ss-machining.com).

Originally Posted by rockitman
Pics of the collars ? How are the welded guides a weak point. It seems to me they are there to keep the belts from sliding to the left or right. They are still wrapped around the bar.
The actual process of welding the guides to the main bar theoretically weakens the bar. I'm not saying that it's anything of real world concern. Just theoretical. To be honest, I just just like the collar look better.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:54 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

The cantrell bar diameter is 1.75", but with powercoating, it comes to 1.774". To avoid damage to the bar, we had custom collars made. They were only $9.50 each for custom made aluminum ones. Email raceparts@frontiernet.net (www.ss-machining.com).

The actual process of welding the guides to the main bar theoretically weakens the bar. I'm not saying that it's anything of real world concern. Just theoretical. To be honest, I just just like the collar look better.

Welding impact on metal strength is not theoretical. It is actual. That is why you will see failures at weld points. It does affect the metal. That being said, the actual impact on the tube strength due to the those welds may not be significant and failure may depend on the direction of forces being applied. Lots of variables here. There are lots of other weld points that could contribute to structural failure just as much (if not more) than the tack welding of the guides.

Quick Reply: Cantrell Rollbar Installation