991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cantrell Rollbar Installation

Old 04-30-2015, 06:22 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

That was a 17mm universal socket with wobble extension that I used to get to the aft mounting bolts..
Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Cantrell says no bars for approximately 2 weeks until they get back from fab...
Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

So we get different seats then the ROW or Porsche makes holes in the same seats.
So this needs to get done even if I just stick in a harness bar?

What a clusterf@ck.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So we get different seats then the ROW or Porsche makes holes in the same seats.
So this needs to get done even if I just stick in a harness bar?

What a clusterf@ck.
Yep, passenger track seat not set up for track use, headrest of track seats pushes head forward when wearing helmet, gas gauge doesn't account for extra gas in the extended tank, well-known buffeting problem still not fixed by Porsche years after becoming known, burns oil at the track as though it's gas, OEM Michelin tires currently out of stock, TPM behavior is whacky when tire pressures are lowered for track despite having a circuit mode, limited ability to add camber without aftermarket parts ... otherwise great car though!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Any thoughts on the installation time, using LWB seats, no hole for passenger seat, and installing the roll bar, sub bar for driver's seat, and 6-pt harness for driver's seat?
It will be a significantly shorter install now that Cantrell has a sub bar that is far easier and quicker to install than the GMG plate version that requires drilling into the tub and a special tool for the threaded rivots that hold the plate in place. The Cantrell sub bar mount is a huge step forward, imho.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yep, passenger track seat not set up for track use, headrest of track seats pushes head forward when wearing helmet, gas gauge doesn't account for extra gas in the extended tank, well-known buffeting problem still not fixed by Porsche years after becoming known, burns oil at the track as though it's gas, OEM Michelin tires currently out of stock, TPM behavior is whacky when tire pressures are lowered for track despite having a circuit mode, limited ability to add camber without aftermarket parts ... otherwise great car though!
You summed it up perfectly! Lol!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's all fixed on the RS....
Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

So drivers seat is OK?
Head rests different from ROW cars?
Gas tanks should be OK, I'm sure in Germany they will be accurate so just programming?
TPM never worked at all in 997 so anything is better.
I'm going to miss my $250 Toyo RA1's....

Oil is cheap and I guess we only have to be changing filters then.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
That's all fixed on the RS....
LOL
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

So drivers seat is OK?
Head rests different from ROW cars?
Gas tanks should be OK, I'm sure in Germany they will be accurate so just programming?
TPM never worked at all in 997 so anything is better.
I'm going to miss my $250 Toyo RA1's....

Oil is cheap and I guess we only have to be changing filters then.
Driver's seat has the hole for the anti-sub belts.

From what I can tell, ROW seats are the same as the 997 GT2 seats, which sit a bit high for my taste, but they have no issues with the headrests and they're more snug than our US seats (good or bad thing, depending on driver size). Note that I have the headrest issue with the seats tilted all the way down/back, would be even worse otherwise (definitely an issue for my wife, who needs the seat to be higher).

TPM is presumably meant to work properly at the track by switching to circuit mode, but I find it to be operationally a mess.

Sport Cup 2 tires aren't cheap, but they perform fairly well with decent grip and longevity. Just wish I could get the damn things!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:36 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Driver's seat has the hole for the anti-sub belts.

From what I can tell, ROW seats are the same as the 997 GT2 seats, which sit a bit high for my taste, but they have no issues with the headrests and they're more snug than our US seats (good or bad thing, depending on driver size). Note that I have the headrest issue with the seats tilted all the way down/back, would be even worse otherwise (definitely an issue for my wife, who needs the seat to be higher).

TPM is presumably meant to work properly at the track by switching to circuit mode, but I find it to be operationally a mess.

Sport Cup 2 tires aren't cheap, but they perform fairly well with decent grip and longevity. Just wish I could get the damn things!
I tried to use the Circuit mode, but between every session, it kept asking "Tire Change?" I'd have to reset it to Summer Tires so it re-calibrates. Was completely useless. I just went manual on it with a pressure gauge. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by awew911
I tried to use the Circuit mode, but between every session, it kept asking "Tire Change?" I'd have to reset it to Summer Tires so it re-calibrates. Was completely useless. I just went manual on it with a pressure gauge. Worked like a charm.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to have to keep updating the computer everytime you start up at the track.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to have to keep updating the computer everytime you start up at the track.
I wouldn't mind that too much, does it show PSI on all 4 corners till the end of each session?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't mind that too much, does it show PSI on all 4 corners till the end of each session?
Most of the time it does.

The most annoying thing is the car warning you that your fuel is low, but you still have 1/3 of a tank left. The tire pressure screen is wiped away to tell you this while you are trying to drive on track. Warning is based on calculated range based on fuel consumption, which we all know is crazy high on a race teack
Old 05-01-2015, 12:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

What is the warning? Just a pling?
The now tanks are much needed. The last 4.0 sucked the tank dry in 45 minutes = refuel between every single session..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cantrell Rollbar Installation