Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?

For those of you that have experience with all these cars, I would like help with a dilemma I've had for a while now.
I am on my 3rd Porsche, a 996 Turbo (29,000 miles). I also have a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena (7,500 miles). I love both of those cars for their own strengths. However, they also have their own weaknesses. Before I ask the question I would like to list my opinions of each:

996 Turbo:
Strengths-
* reliable
* fast (has Ultimate Motorwerks tune)
* blends in with other cars nicely
* mean looking
Weaknesses-
* boring for sports car
* too generic
* Lacks steering feel
* Lacks brake feel
* Lack of passion
* sounds like a vacuum cleaner
* bland interior

Ferrari 360:
Strengths-
* Looks awesome, way better/sexier than any Porsche
* sounds amazing, second to none
* visceral and fun to drive
* great group of owners, great local club
* solid chassis and great steering feel
Weaknesses-
* needs a lot of maintenance
* high maintenance costs
* terrible dealer support, and careless
* can't leave unattended due to attention it receives
* more "finicky" than Porsche
* slow compared to either Porsche (~4.3 seconds 0-60)

The question is, should I sell those two cars to get a new GT3?
Reasons that I want it is that I feel that the GT3 has the positives of both with less negatives. An additional advantage would be that I will slim down my cars so I will have less to take care of. As I get older, I don't enjoy working on my cars as much as I used to. I just want them to work correctly and always be clean. I still enjoy working on them a little, but don't want to do too much.
Here are my feelings on the GT3 (going by reviews because I never drove one):
* Fast
* Sounds great (better than 996, but not as good as Ferrari)
* Reliable
* Looks great (not quite exotic though)
* Handles great
* One of the best transmissions on the planet
* easy and fairly cheap to maintain (compared to Ferrari)
* Great dealer support (I love my local Porsche mechanic)
* a perfect all around extreme sports car

For anyone with DIRECT experience with these cars, please give any advice that you think will help me. I constantly think about the new GT3 and feel like I want one, but I don't want to add a 3rd sports car and I don't want to have regrets if I miss the cars I get rid of....what should I do!?!?!
Price wise I'm probably looking at having to add another $20k on top of my other 2 cars. While adding money doesn't bother me too much, the fact that the GT3 will most likely depreciate at a much higher rate since its brand new does bother me.

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks kike you answered your ?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Looks kike you answered your ?
Not really. I have this constant battle with myself. I'm definitely afraid of regrets. The Porsche will be easy to get rid of because the new one is better in every way, but the Ferrari is giving me trouble. I've never experienced a car as thrilling. That's why I wanted someone that has owned both to help me predict if I will have regrets. Obviously there is no way for anyone to know that (including myself), but if I hear enough people that have been through both cars, it may help me decide. For instance if a few people say "I've had both. The 911GT3 is so amazing that I haven't even thought about my 360 for a second since I bought it".
Or maybe they might say "even though the numbers point to the GT3, there is no feeling like owning/driving a Ferrari"
See this is why I'm confused and all over the place with it!
Since I love my cars overall, it really does make it tough to make the change. Who knows, if I have even one more bad dealer experience, it may cause me to snap and make the decision.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Fat-finger typist!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Fat-finger typist!
At first I thought that you were talking about me because I wrote it on an iPhone (a huge feat). Then I read Sloopy's response more carefully! LOL
Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

What about baby stepping it; sell the 996 Turbo and get the GT3 while keeping the 360 for another 6 months or a year? When you are convinced you can relinquish the 360, then sell it and just hold the GT3.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
What about baby stepping it; sell the 996 Turbo and get the GT3 while keeping the 360 for another 6 months or a year? When you are convinced you can relinquish the 360, then sell it and just hold the GT3.
I actually considered that too. But I thought about it and realized that if I can't stand to get rid of the Ferrari, then I would be stuck with both. If I was going to have that much money tied up in cars, I would seriously consider the new Ferrari 488 instead! I lust after that car. It seems to have it all, except it still has the horrible dealer experience/support.
I'm still open to all options, but I'm more apt to do nothing until I'm 100% sure of my decision (or as close as possible).
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about asking someone that lives close to you to test drive their GT3. If you love it, then you sell both, if not, then you don't.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shahano
How about asking someone that lives close to you to test drive their GT3. If you love it, then you sell both, if not, then you don't.
That would be ideal. I don't know anyone with the GT3 yet. Maybe I'll ask my Porsche salesman to call me if one comes in. They may get a used one in that I can test drive. (I just assumed that they won't test drive a new one).
Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

GT3 ................
Old 04-29-2015, 04:52 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts
Default New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?

if it's any help I'm debating selling my 458 because the GT3 is that good and I would rather drive it over the Ferrari.....
Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned a modded 996 TT and the 991 gt3 is in a completely different league. As far as the 360 is concerned, I would much rather have a gt3 - better looks, much better performance, better transmission, etc. Therefore, if I were you, I would sell both, get a gt3 and don't look back! By the way the gt3 has the least depreciation of any porsche.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
if it's any help I'm debating selling my 458 because the GT3 is that good and I would rather drive it over the Ferrari.....
Reallyy??????

I am in love with the 458 speciale, one of the best cars I have driven. I would buy one if I could in a heartbeat. But then again I only drove the GT3 for 5 miles so I can't judge yet until she arrives.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dump them both and get GT3.....I have multiple Ferraris now and while they are great, if I had to drop down to one car it would be my GT3 (that's saying a lot because my 458 I use a lot as a DD also). Quite frankly the 360 wouldn't even make the cut vs any other Porsche in my garage either so really the question you should be asking yourself is if you should replace both with either a GT3 or a 458, (or a 430 scud/458S but not close in price comparison and a 991 RS is a bargain compared to both those).
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Reallyy??????

I am in love with the 458 speciale, one of the best cars I have driven. I would buy one if I could in a heartbeat. But then again I only drove the GT3 for 5 miles so I can't judge yet until she arrives.
I'm in love with the Speciale also and would sell both cars to get one at MSRP (which is not going to happen)....I've had my Italia for 2 years now so the ADD is setting in....

Quick Reply: New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?