Sponsored by:

New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by up4speed
Thanks for all of the replies! I truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't say that it makes it any easier for me, LOL
I got some expected responses, but also some VERY shocking ones. (ie. considering selling a 458!)
I think at this point, the safest approach seems to be to sell the 996TT and keep the Ferrari for now and add the 991 GT3 (then decide to keep the Ferrari or not if it doesn't get used enough). I already have the wife approval to do that
However, if I went that route, it may take a year or two because I wanted to pay off some investment properties first. If I were to sell both cars, I would decide to purchase the GT3 as soon as I made a definitive decision. I have no problem waiting, but slimming down my extra cars and having one that does it all has a strong appeal to me.
After taking everything into consideration, I'm thinking that I should concentrate on finding a way to test drive a 991 GT3 and act accordingly after I see if it's what I'm looking for in a roadworthy all out sports car.

Having owned all the GT3 iterations, driven and loved 360 Modenas, and considering all the issues you have expounded on, I have to say you will be very happy with the 991GT3 with side or center muffler bypasses. As my buddy said when he sold his Modena coupe to get a 7.2GT3 with a center muffler bypass, "It makes my Ferrari sound like a Prius." Yes, you will have to adapt to a flat-six whine instead of a V8 rumble and scream, but you'll survive and be rewarded by a lack of stress over maintenance costs, no fear of pranging some delicate part on the track, and the sheer joy of 9k RPMs and amazing, mid-engine-like handling from a 911.

Not only is the car closer in balance to a mid-engine Ferrari than any 911 made, but it has the PDK-S transmission, which you will find far less unsettling during shifts and much faster shifting than the old 360 F1 paddles.

Yes, the Modena was a beautiful car, but the new 991GT3 is a bigger, more exotic car than prior versions. It has 'Ferrari-Presence', if you will. Similar to the 993S coupes. Very curvy flanks and headlight tunnels. The acceleration and handling will sell you and the solid build and 4-year warranty will keep you owning it.

I doubt you'll miss your Modena as much as your separation anxiety is leading you to believe. It's time for her to leave home and go off to car college. If you do miss her, you may be able to adopt one in 3 years that has further depreciated.

Dump the 6T and Modena and go for the 1GT3. You won't look back after you take the car out on some twisties or on a track. The performance alone will eclipse your fond memories of your other babies. Really.

This advice will ring most true if you find yourself more into driving than diaper-waxing and garage-glancing. If you are in love with the appearance of the Ferrari and want to look at it more than drive it, then what I have said may not hold as potently true for you.

I don't mean to sound facetious. These cars are works of art. I used to tease my old GF that I was going to put a black 930 turbo in the living room as an art piece just like the Steinway D she wanted. Seriously, what is the diff? They are both mastercrafted works of art made for artists to use. They can both have amazing performance extracted from them by artisans, whether it be a pianist or an ALMS driver.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:39 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Having owned all the GT3 iterations, driven and loved 360 Modenas, and considering all the issues you have expounded on, I have to say you will be very happy with the 991GT3 with side or center muffler bypasses. As my buddy said when he sold his Modena coupe to get a 7.2GT3 with a center muffler bypass, "It makes my Ferrari sound like a Prius." Yes, you will have to adapt to a flat-six whine instead of a V8 rumble and scream, but you'll survive and be rewarded by a lack of stress over maintenance costs, no fear of pranging some delicate part on the track, and the sheer joy of 9k RPMs and amazing, mid-engine-like handling from a 911.

Not only is the car closer in balance to a mid-engine Ferrari than any 911 made, but it has the PDK-S transmission, which you will find far less unsettling during shifts and much faster shifting than the old 360 F1 paddles.

Yes, the Modena was a beautiful car, but the new 991GT3 is a bigger, more exotic car than prior versions. It has 'Ferrari-Presence', if you will. Similar to the 993S coupes. Very curvy flanks and headlight tunnels. The acceleration and handling will sell you and the solid build and 4-year warranty will keep you owning it.

I doubt you'll miss your Modena as much as your separation anxiety is leading you to believe. It's time for her to leave home and go off to car college. If you do miss her, you may be able to adopt one in 3 years that has further depreciated.

Dump the 6T and Modena and go for the 1GT3. You won't look back after you take the car out on some twisties or on a track. The performance alone will eclipse your fond memories of your other babies. Really.

This advice will ring most true if you find yourself more into driving than diaper-waxing and garage-glancing. If you are in love with the appearance of the Ferrari and want to look at it more than drive it, then what I have said may not hold as potently true for you.

I don't mean to sound facetious. These cars are works of art. I used to tease my old GF that I was going to put a black 930 turbo in the living room as an art piece just like the Steinway D she wanted. Seriously, what is the diff? They are both mastercrafted works of art made for artists to use. They can both have amazing performance extracted from them by artisans, whether it be a pianist or an ALMS driver.
Thanks for the great response!
I'm still leaning towards keeping the Ferrari, selling the Turbo and adding the GT3. It's the best plan!

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?