Sponsored by:

New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Based on more info provided above sell both your cars and get the GT3. Not only do win by slimming down to one car that does it all, you also pick up a 4 year warranty and a car that will cost very little to maintain for some time. The Ferrari will continue to age and those costs will add up and you can not compare the 996 Turbo to what the 991 GT3 will offer. I know -you will miss the attention of a red Ferrari but when the Great White Shark starts carving up the street you will have a smile on your face. The 991 GT3 is freakin fast. I know not many talk about it because some also have a 458 ect but this car hauls in a straight line for a GT3 and when you hit the twisties "forget about it"
- Exactly my thoughts regarding a new car with a warranty that does it all and cheap to maintain!

- As far as the attention goes, it's funny you mention that because it actually makes me a little uncomfortable. I did however get used to it and learned to enjoy it since it's usually very positive and usually from younger boys that remind me of myself when I was young. It's always fun to talk to them about the car to keep them motivated.

- How did you know I would have picked a white one! I definitely know that it will put a smile on my face and performance wise will destroy the cars I have now. Hence, the dilemma I'm having!

My two "dream cars" when I was younger were a 911TT and a Ferrari, I now own both and I'm STILL not fully satisfied! LOL
I have some real soul searching to do.

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I would sell the 996 and leave the 360.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Get the GT3
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Personally I'd keep them both and forget the 991. Those are two GREAT examples you have there, enjoy them!

But if you're concerned about maintenance, then perhaps the 991 with a warranty is the way to go.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Direct experience running with a GT3 on the track last year with my 993tt. The new GT3 is wicked fast. You'll be faster than everyone else at the track so it may be boring. Don't miss my old 996 at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Get the GT3, the other two are getting long in the tooth. You won't regret it. Don't believe us, just take one out for a test ride and you'll find out fast enough.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 AM
up4speed
Instructor

I'm starting to sort out my thoughts.
While the 991 GT3 is undoubtedly awesome, I decided to make sure I see all angles before I dive in. First and foremost I need to test drive one. If it's as great as I expect it to be and makes me giggle like a 5 year old when I drive it, then I will know that I must have one. Then my decision has to be whether I "need" it now and sell both cars, or if I can wait. If I can wait, I will then sell the 996T in a few years, buy the GT3 and keep the Ferrari. Once I own both, if I don't use the Ferrari enough, I can sell it at that time if I don't think I'll miss the car (I know I won't miss the ownership experience that's for sure! The dealerships are the WORST, a lot of maintenance that requires shops, the shops are all careless, parts are way over priced, certain things are hard to work on myself, finicky reliability (thankfully mine has been solid so far for 3 years that I've owned it) terrible customer service etc.).
Old 04-30-2015, 01:48 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

You just made me take a step back from the Ferrari ledge. So you are saying with Ferrari dealership service, you don't get what you pay for? Why don't you find a stellar indy shop to maintain your 360?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
You just made me take a step back from the Ferrari ledge. So you are saying with Ferrari dealership service, you don't get what you pay for? Why don't you find a stellar indy shop to maintain your 360?
Oh boy...I can go on forever!
They almost NEVER do a job correctly the first time, they leave screws off, things unplugged, cars outside in the heat causing the dashboard leather to shrink and vents to get sticky and warp, they leave them out in the rain to get water spots in the paint, they damage the rims by laying them on the face, they damage and chip the paint, they never call back or keep you updated, the shortest time they will have the car is a week no matter how simple the fix is, they switch your parts out to troubleshoot other cars and never put your parts back, I've watched them ram cars together as they were squeezing them into the over crowded shop, dirty the leather, scratch the leather, put back parts misaligned, improperly balance wheels........on and on and on!! I honestly cant make up the stuff that I've seen. It's bad, REALLY bad!
I have experience with the dealer as well as one of the best known indys in the area. I'm going to try another indy with a good reputation to see how they do when I need the belt service next year.
So far, every single time they touched my car, I had to polish out or touch up damage.
These things not only happened to me, but my brother has a 430 and had same experiences as well as all the guys in our group of about 15 guys that are local.
In contrast, I have had 3 different Porsches and they have been nothing but dead reliable needing mostly oil changes (that I did myself) and nothing else. When I did have to take it in (mostly for yearly state inspections or recalls), the mechanic at my local dealer is PHENOMENAL and extremely careful, and has never even put a single hand print on my car. We actually became friends over the years. The purchases were as smooth as can be and there was no after sale stress.

However, there is no car like a Ferrari when it comes to passion. It is unbelievably exciting. It looks great, feels great and sounds great and has a solid chassis with great steering feel. I always thought that my Porsches had great steering feel and a solid chassis, but the Ferrari blows the Porsches that I've owned away in that respect. To date, it is by far the best car I've ever owned (of course the GT3 sounds like it may be better. Other than looks, but that is very subjective). In all fairness, I never had any of the "race bred" Porsches before. That's why I think that the GT3 is the one to get. I think it will truly excel in every category regarding performance and be the best bang for the buck.
I love driving the Ferrari, I just hate owning it. It's such a good car that I can't seem to part with it though. I think every car guy should own a Ferrari at least once in their lives, I have no regrets. When I drive my Porsche, I have to beat on it and go fast to have fun. When I drive the Ferrari, it feels like you are in a race car and fun even while going slow. The sound is second to none and it feels visceral! If you do get one, I really hope that you have better luck with the shops in your area.
Do some research on www.ferrarichat.com, there is a ton of info on there. Just be aware that there are a good amount of people on there that drink the Ferrari Koolaid and can't see any flaws with it. They will love them no matter how much abuse they take owning it. Unless you are looking for a classic for a particular reason, I would definitely stick with a 360 or newer. There are a lot of mechanical benefits to sticking with the newer models. Also, unless you absolutely need a convertible, I would avoid that too. There are too many potential issues with the tops and they are very expensive to fix (and even though the spider is VERY stiff for a convertible, the coupes chassis is still stiffer as with any car).
Good luck

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM
grendel88
Instructor

Every review out there is loves the GT3. Everyone on this board loves the GT3. The only ones to have sold so far are to get allocations for the RS or the Huracan.

In the end, the car is super drivable everyday, but when you want to wind it up to 9k and hear it scream, it is pretty special.

I want to pick up a Scud or 458, but the Scud is more raw and less refined and the 458 is just my ideal of car beauty, but neither could replace the GT3, they would just be garage buddies.

I agree with everyone here that the GT3 will trump your cars, and you will have no regrets. If you get the Ferrari itch again, it will be for a very different experience.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
if it's any help I'm debating selling my 458 because the GT3 is that good and I would rather drive it over the Ferrari.....
I have an opportunity to get 458 Spyder. But I will have to get sell my 2014 GT3. Can't have both. You think I should keep the GT3 and not make a silly expensive decision
Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you decide to keep or sell, you definitely will not regret buying a GT3. It's the best car I ever owned, just wish I could have kept mine.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:46 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

@ up4speed. Thank you for that comprehensive answer!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:16 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
@ up4speed. Thank you for that comprehensive answer!
You're very welcome! If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to post, or email me and I will do my best to answer as honestly as I can. As I mentioned earlier, ferrarichat has an amazing amount of info on it, without that site I would have been too scared to purchase one for myself. Just so you can understand the "pull" that a Ferrari has on a car enthusiast; After my brother drove mine, he had to have one and wound up buying a F430!
Love/hate relationship!!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 AM
up4speed
Instructor

I did some serious thinking over the weekend. After taking the Ferrari out for a cars and coffee run, I realized that I need to keep my Ferrari. The car just makes me feel incredible when I drive it. I was also lucky enough to have a really good example of a 360. I never had any mechanical issues and it looks brand new inside and out. At this point, my plan is to keep the 360 and add a GT3. Of course if something changes where the Ferrari aggravates me then I'll reconsider again. For now, my plan is to have both and get rid of the 996 Turbo when I purchase the GT3.

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: New GT3 or Keep Ferrari and 996 Turbo?