new engine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Tony King
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine!

hi all,

I have a 2014 991 GT3 with around 7500 miles on it.

At the end of March I got a check engine light, and then shortly afterwards I went into Limp Mode. Restarting the car will reset the Limp mode but I still get the check engine and anything over 6k would take me into Limp mode each time.

I took the car into Manhattan Motors. They were confident they could fix the problem. Told me it was fixed and then the next day, same problem!

The car then went back to Manhattan Motors.

They said it was oil sensors, switched them, tested the car, same problem.

They said it was oil pump, switched it, tested the car, same problem.

I ran my own diagnostics and its misfiring on cylinder head 6.

It's now been at Manhattan Motors for over two weeks, a Porsche field agent has looked at it.

I get an email today asking if I give permission to put a new engine in - Porsche are shipping one directly to them. I have said no until I speak to someone senior at Porsche. I don't like the idea of having a Gt3 on it's third engine - I need them to switch me into a '15. I'm having no luck speaking to anyone senior at Porsche. I have called them 3 times and am awaiting the senior manager to call me back.

Does anyone have any similar experience? I'm about to contact a Lemon Lawyer and get this situation sorted.

My car has been off the road for 22 days at this point, (not including the 5 month wait for the engine recall)

Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

They're throw away engines and they have plenty in reserve.
If they want to play nice they trade yours in for a 2015 but if not I wouldn't sweat a new engine. Still same warranty and they should stamp it with the same serial number
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch...sorry to hear about all of this mess.

If you decide to go the new engine route, I would have it done at a dealer who is top notch and has replaced this engine before. Manhattan has a hit/miss review and based upon how many times things were diagnosed, you might sleep better at night--I would.

As to new car--squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's all in the tone, manner and level you get to within PCNA.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Not good to hear these issues.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Biff_Malibu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Horrible Tony. So sorry you have to deal with this nonsense!

I would DEMAND the 2015 with buckets that Porsche of the Mainline is selling. Shes a beauty!!!!!!!!

But i think mentally for a piece of mind you need to move on to another car, GT3 or not.

I know there are people on here with Porsche Corporate connections and they should chime in and give you a few contact emails over at PCNA.

This is what the forums are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS HELP TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think Main Line is selling a car with buckets that I know. My car is sitting there going through PDI (w/ buckets), I hope their not marketing it.

Regarding the OP, I would recommend having them buy the car back. Pull all your money out, and regroup. Maybe leverage the fact that this is your second engine failure in to getting an RS allocation. If you fight hard enough, I believe it's achievable.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. My concern wouldn't be so much with getting a new engine as it would be with who installs it. I had no qualms about getting the original engine replacement mainly because I knew they were flying techs in from Germany to do the job. Still, if it's like the original replacement, the new power unit is pretty much a plug and play operation from what we were told since it comes complete with everything, as I'm sure you know.

BTW, I'm almost certain that the engine will NOT be stamped with the same serial number as was mentioned above. My first replacement engine came with a new number and a certificate which showed that it now belonged with my VIN.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Tony King
Advanced

Someone from Porsche NA just called me. Now they aren't sure if they will be switching the engine - he will let me know tomorrow.

Either way I'm not comfortable getting this car back after so many delays and issues. I'm going to fight them for a '15 GT3.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Tell them you want a 2015 or 2016.

Maybe an RS allocation.

Also. Please post the vin if you get rid of it somehow.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely sucks that you are going through this ordeal. I would first speak to a lawyer just to get his/her opinion, then move forward from there. I'm sure at some point here on RL, you will get some good advice on who to call. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

If they give you a new engine, it will be the same one the 2015 model has. Should be no big deal. (if it is indeed an engine problem - could be some electric gremlin in the ECU or something)

If it has been out of service long enough to invoke the lemon law, I guess that is an option. I think it is highly unlikely Porsche will just swap you for a new 2015.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Horrible Tony. So sorry you have to deal with this nonsense!

I would DEMAND the 2015 with buckets that Porsche of the Mainline is selling. Shes a beauty!!!!!!!!

But i think mentally for a piece of mind you need to move on to another car, GT3 or not.

I know there are people on here with Porsche Corporate connections and they should chime in and give you a few contact emails over at PCNA.

This is what the forums are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS HELP TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forget 2015, now there are 2016s!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Have they determined what the problem is which requires an engine replacement?

Regarding your options, Porsche probably would give you your money back.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
they should stamp it with the same serial number

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
BTW, I'm almost certain that the engine will NOT be stamped with the same serial number as was mentioned above. My first replacement engine came with a new number and a certificate which showed that it now belonged with my VIN.
Correct.

Stamping same serial number has never been officially done at Porsche, even in 356 days. My 1964 Carrera 2 Coupe had a factory rebuild 4-cam engine (KDF) that was installed in Zuffenhausen's Werk 1 in exchange of the original Carrera engine. Different serial number and KDF stamped. All documented in the Kardex. Not a big deal. Matching # is an acquired taste in the Porsche world. It came from the fiberglass boys at Corvette Club, which have to obsess about something to detract them from the rattles of plastic bodies & antiquated powertrains.

Traditionally, Porsche enthusiasts had never any qualms about replacing engines & transmissions at the factory or at P dealers if required to keep their cars going...or improving its performance. Once the Super 90 engines became available in numbers in 1960, all sorts of 356A and B folks ditched their 1600 & 1600S engines for the powerful Super 90 motors! That is still one of the most desirable engines in ANY 356 to this day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Tony King
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nick
Have they determined what the problem is which requires an engine replacement?

Regarding your options, Porsche probably would give you your money back.
Seems like they have no clue at this point. I'm getting more information tomorrow.

I want a GT3 still, they have the opportunity to do the right thing and keep me loyal to Porsche. If they return my money I'll get a 458 or Huracan.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Sorry to hear about this misfortune. Out of all the new engines they made which were all the 2014 replacements and the the 2015s there were bound to be some engine failures. It is just the law of numbers. I kind if get what you are feeling. You probably are looking at this car as tainted and would like a brand new one. I would fight for a new one in a Professional manner.

But- in the end I would not have a problem with a brand new engine. I would ask for a 6 year warranty and nice loaner plus may be some credit towards maintenance ect
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony King
Seems like they have no clue at this point. I'm getting more information tomorrow.

I want a GT3 still, they have the opportunity to do the right thing and keep me loyal to Porsche. If they return my money I'll get a 458 or Huracan.
I would explore with your dealer trading the car back to them at MSRP and leaving it for them to sort it out. They sold their last new one at $30k over MSRP from what I understand and it's was what they were asking for the RS.

458 is very easy for them to get for you at the moment so you can just do it with them.

Quick Reply: new engine!