Sponsored by:

Temporary Paint Protection for Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Numbers

Has anyone tried this for track numbers?

I can see if you have a decent stencil, you might be able to have a really easy way to paint some numbers or graphics on the car that would just peel off when you get tired of them.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ yup that was i was thinking.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:04 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
Qbix,

We do offer a product called Tracwrap https://www.xpel.com/products/tools....oduct=Tracwrap

Its a great alternative to protect the high impact areas of your vehicle for track days, autocross, road trips and more. It’s actually the same thickness at 8.5 mils as our XPEL ULTIMATE 10 Year Warrantied film.

Tracwrap applies very quickly and easily. The best part is it can still withstand minor rock chips, and it will not leave bits of plastic and glue behind when you remove it. What makes it so easy is the air channel adhesive. You’ll see a honeycomb like affect on the film, these are the air channels in the film that allow the film to be installed dry, on location and this adhesive also makes it easy to remove.

With Tracwrap, there is no curing process, once the film is on the car its good to go for your weekend at the track, autocross, etc.

As for the headlights, it is safe to apply on the headlights.

If you have any questions Qbix, please reply here or send me an email.

Benjamin Kenney
Bkenney@xpel.com
Brand Ambassador
XPEL Technologies Corp
Hi Benjamin,
thanks for your message.

Can you please write something more about application of Tracwrap?
How stretchable is that tape? Is it possible to stretch it over some non flat shapes of the car?
I mean that complexity of the shape of the front bumper, the way the headlights are composed into the fenders, shape of mirrors, etc would make it somehow hard and time consuming to wrap those parts nicely so when driving around a track the wind would not start to peel the tape off the car.
I don't see a problem covering the hood with this tape but other shapes would make it kind of difficult...
How would you apply the tape over the front bumper, head lights and mirrors? Do you have any demonstration videos?

One big advantage of liquid plastic is that it is going to cover those shapes very nicely and it is going to take reasonably short time to apply. Disadvantage I am afraid of is the real protection it is going to offer. I mean the thickness of it is 3 to 4 mils.
Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 AM
Bshields22
2nd Gear

Default Track Day Paint Protection

Hey guys,

Might be a bit late to the party! I like to use TrackArmour. Their clear film makes the pics look good and it applies way faster than blue tape. Here is their site if you are interested.

www.trackarmour.com
Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
MartynSimpson
1st Gear

Originally Posted by XPEL
Qbix,

We do offer a product called Tracwrap https://www.xpel.com/products/tools....oduct=Tracwrap

Its a great alternative to protect the high impact areas of your vehicle for track days, autocross, road trips and more. It’s actually the same thickness at 8.5 mils as our XPEL ULTIMATE 10 Year Warrantied film.

Tracwrap applies very quickly and easily. The best part is it can still withstand minor rock chips, and it will not leave bits of plastic and glue behind when you remove it. What makes it so easy is the air channel adhesive. You’ll see a honeycomb like affect on the film, these are the air channels in the film that allow the film to be installed dry, on location and this adhesive also makes it easy to remove.

With Tracwrap, there is no curing process, once the film is on the car its good to go for your weekend at the track, autocross, etc.

As for the headlights, we do not recommend installing any film on the newer generation of Porsche vehicles

If you have any questions Qbix, please reply here or send me an email.

Benjamin Kenney
Benjamin, I actually tested the TrackWrap at the track for 2 days.

I tested 4 small areas on the hood of my Porsche Turbo at up to 150 mph, as follows:
-With protected leading edge, to prevent any possible edge lift at speed.
-With exposed leading edge.
-Over top of layer of Glad Cling Wrap, with half inch or so overlap on edges – to simulate coverage of new Porsche Headlights (which should NOT be covered directly with Track Wrap OR ANY PPF!!
-Over top of layer of Glad Press’n Seal (a heavy duty version of Cling Wrap) – again, to simulate coverage of Headlight.

Results:
ALL Track Wrap stayed in place throughout weekend. No edge lift anywhere. No chips or rubber marks on paint under TracWrap. The only issue was with the extra layer of Glad Press’n Seal, which left adhesive residue on the paint, so I would NOT use on headlights, but the Cling Wrap was OK. The TracWrap left no residue when removed. Note however that I was careful to remove it in accordance with instructions – i.e. pull from paint at a narrow angle, say 20 degrees.
I will definitely use TracWrap over a layer of Glad Cling Wrap on my Porsche at the track for the Headlights, and directly on high impact areas - some of which are already covered by Xpel Ultimate Film - just for added protection.
Martyn Simpson
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

For those worried about headlight delamination, painter's tape will provide a little protection (more if double layer) without delamination.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

I once saw a guy cover his whole front in blue painters tape of his Ferrari 360 Stradale. He went out on cold tires and crashed in turn one. The moral of the story is his car looked ridiculous with the painters tape. Get a proper wrap on the front end.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

@KINGSRULE
where,”Upstate” NY are looking for? Upstate is any part north of Westchester........
Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you use the temporary track wraps over a livery that was done with a wrap?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tracwrap to the Rescue

Originally Posted by MartynSimpson
Benjamin, I actually tested the TrackWrap at the track for 2 days.

I tested 4 small areas on the hood of my Porsche Turbo at up to 150 mph, as follows:
-With protected leading edge, to prevent any possible edge lift at speed.
-With exposed leading edge.
-Over top of layer of Glad Cling Wrap, with half inch or so overlap on edges – to simulate coverage of new Porsche Headlights (which should NOT be covered directly with Track Wrap OR ANY PPF!!
-Over top of layer of Glad Press’n Seal (a heavy duty version of Cling Wrap) – again, to simulate coverage of Headlight.

Results:
ALL Track Wrap stayed in place throughout weekend. No edge lift anywhere. No chips or rubber marks on paint under TracWrap. The only issue was with the extra layer of Glad Press’n Seal, which left adhesive residue on the paint, so I would NOT use on headlights, but the Cling Wrap was OK. The TracWrap left no residue when removed. Note however that I was careful to remove it in accordance with instructions – i.e. pull from paint at a narrow angle, say 20 degrees.
I will definitely use TracWrap over a layer of Glad Cling Wrap on my Porsche at the track for the Headlights, and directly on high impact areas - some of which are already covered by Xpel Ultimate Film - just for added protection.
Martyn Simpson
That's great to hear, thank-you very much for sharing and let us know if we can answer any questions or help in any way.

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Can you use the temporary track wraps over a livery that was done with a wrap?
Yes. As Martyn mentioned though, be sure to remove the proper way to avoid any adhesive residue left behind or the vinyl lifting but that's highly unlikely anyway.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_997
I once saw a guy cover his whole front in blue painters tape of his Ferrari 360 Stradale. He went out on cold tires and crashed in turn one. The moral of the story is his car looked ridiculous with the painters tape. Get a proper wrap on the front end.
There is almost nothing dorkier than a car covered in tape.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I used track tape (clear) on mine the one time I went to the track. Looked pretty bad but the car survived with nothing except a cracked windshield.

I should have puut 2-3 inches of track tape around the border of the windshield, since that is a weak spot. That is where the hit occurred. Very thin glass around the edges.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
This is what I use, it goes on white but dries clear. I apply it in 3-4 layers and it peels off in one sheet very easily after. Simply mask off with blue tape where you dont want it and apply with a foam roller. It is almost invisible in pictures and only visible close up because of the slight texture from application using a foam roller.

I have tried all the tapes, and this works MUCH better for me. It prevents all of the tire marks and can easily be applied to compound surfaces that are nearly impossible to cover with tape. I also cover my headlights with it, and because it dries clear, driving to the track with the lights on early in the morning isn't an issue.

It works great for long road trips as well! Significantly less expensive than road warrior plus, but looks very similar.

http://generalchemicalcorp.mybigcomm...ield-5720.html
How much would a gallon cover? Is this safe to use over PPF such as Xpel?

I currently use Traktape but it takes some time to do a neat job and its not that easy to cover some of the compound curves.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
How much would a gallon cover? Is this safe to use over PPF such as Xpel?

I currently use Traktape but it takes some time to do a neat job and its not that easy to cover some of the compound curves.
I have stopped using the temporary protection and moved to xpel on my cars to save time. The fact you need like 4 coats plus the dry time makes for long track prep time. Also, if it rains, the film will lift as you remove it with just water.

That said, a gallon will cover the impact points (full front, hood, rockers, behind rear tires, mirrors, leading edge of roof) around 5-6 times with 4 coats for me. This is on a GT4 and an F80 M3.

I never used it over xpel, but I did put it over the standard BMW PPF that is before the rear tires and it works just like on paint.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
I have stopped using the temporary protection and moved to xpel on my cars to save time. The fact you need like 4 coats plus the dry time makes for long track prep time. Also, if it rains, the film will lift as you remove it with just water.

That said, a gallon will cover the impact points (full front, hood, rockers, behind rear tires, mirrors, leading edge of roof) around 5-6 times with 4 coats for me. This is on a GT4 and an F80 M3.

I never used it over xpel, but I did put it over the standard BMW PPF that is before the rear tires and it works just like on paint.
Thanks!
I had a few rocks actually go thru the Xpel on the Porsche, just in front of the rear tires...so I have been using two layers of Traktape and single layer over the front fenders and hood...Works well, but I was looking for something easier and cheaper...

Quick Reply: Temporary Paint Protection for Track Days