Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren 570s MSRP'ing at $185,900.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This "final prototype" was at the Reveal Event here in Dallas last Thursday. They said deliveries should start November timeframe. Very nice looking... none were available to drive but they said I could have a go with its "big brother", the 650S. Fine by me. Very impressive drive although I expect rear tire expense will be extremely high... they light up very easily. I'm supposed to join them at MSRC for an on-track demo day after tomorrow. Should be fun... I hope to be tempted... mercilessly.

Last edited by 916Bob; 09-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I bought a used '14 12C Spider and rather enjoy it on the track. My lap times are faster than my previous 458 and the body roll is night and day difference compared to 458; both stock. I'll take the 991 GT3 any day over both on the track.

I've tried a lot of cars and the McLaren is a sleeper. People concentrate so much on depreciation and brand identity and just gloss over the car. I searched for over 6 months to get the right car for me and got it with 800 miles at $120K off sticker. Am I going to lose money on it? Surely I will, but the enjoyment it gives me to drive (mostly on the street) with the top down is worth it. Much less "stressful" to drive than the 458. Also, my wife loves driving it which is important to me. She wouldn't touch the ferrari since it was too edgy.

All I'm trying to say is that don't discount or write off the car because of depreciation. Don't buy it new. It has pros and cons like any other car does.

916Bob, I'll be there too on Wednesday. Should be fun.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

I just dont get this car....its clearly a mish mash of the 12C, 650S and P1... was hoping for a fresh look from them.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brandon_
I just dont get this car....its clearly a mish mash of the 12C, 650S and P1... was hoping for a fresh look from them.
They all look the same, agree.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

Excellent! See you there.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Nice...

Obviously you are not too familiar with (new) exotic market. Go do some homework on what you just asked (if you're trying to make a jab at Huracan...which is still selling for MSRP at dealers--if you can.
What is the depreciation on new Lamborghinis? Educate me.

I didn't think it was as bad as McLaren, but won't you still take a significant hit for owing your Lamborghini for just 6-9 months before you get your RS?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:22 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting comments on McLaren. I have a 2012 12C with about 11K miles on it that I bought new and it has been a great car, street and track. I have a feeling the GT3 I await from Euro delivery will be comparable in lap times on a shorter track, but I don't think the GT3 will be better on track. And as for depreciation, I tend to buy a car I want to keep, not sell, so that is not a really big issue. I bet the 570S will depreciate much like a 911 Turbo. It remains to be seen how the GT3 price holds up as the RS comes to market and the 991.2 GT3 is introduced. It sure seems like a lot of folks are selling them and that may soften prices. If you are a Car guy, you have to respect the McLaren. If you are a Porsche only guy, well nothing can be said to sway your view anyway.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I bought a used '14 12C Spider and rather enjoy it on the track. My lap times are faster than my previous 458 and the body roll is night and day difference compared to 458; both stock. I'll take the 991 GT3 any day over both on the track.

I've tried a lot of cars and the McLaren is a sleeper. People concentrate so much on depreciation and brand identity and just gloss over the car. I searched for over 6 months to get the right car for me and got it with 800 miles at $120K off sticker. Am I going to lose money on it? Surely I will, but the enjoyment it gives me to drive (mostly on the street) with the top down is worth it. Much less "stressful" to drive than the 458. Also, my wife loves driving it which is important to me. She wouldn't touch the ferrari since it was too edgy.

All I'm trying to say is that don't discount or write off the car because of depreciation. Don't buy it new. It has pros and cons like any other car does.

Do you have lap times for both at MSR on the 1.7 CCW? I'd be curious as I am betting on comparable tires the numbers are very close and in the 1:19-20 range.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Exactly. And it depreciates like a rock, isn't the easiest to enter/exit, and reliability is suspect if you actually drive the car.

I really wanted to like McLaren, test drove it several times, including the track, but i just don't see a reason to buy one given the superiority of other options.
Hang on. I said it's not a great track car. I didn't say it's not a great car. It's an exceptional street car. Better than any I've ever driven. Stunning acceleration, epic looks, a true exotic experience that eclipses any 911 ever.

But for the circuit, I'll gladly trade for a GT3(RS)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the driving experience is great, and the price point is tempting, but it just looks way too busy to me...sort of ugly... to the earlier conversation, I think the Huracan is infinitely better looking, and I think many would agree, add NA V10, no contest to me... obviously a lot more money, but if someone can afford $185 they can afford $285, right?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Do you have lap times for both at MSR on the 1.7 CCW? I'd be curious as I am betting on comparable tires the numbers are very close and in the 1:19-20 range.
I have not tracked it extensively there. Last time was the 1.7 CW and I was 1:22 with oem p zero tires. It was my first time there with that car so my comfort level wasn't high. It felt much better than I thought it would though.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Interesting comments on McLaren. I have a 2012 12C with about 11K miles on it that I bought new and it has been a great car, street and track. I have a feeling the GT3 I await from Euro delivery will be comparable in lap times on a shorter track, but I don't think the GT3 will be better on track. And as for depreciation, I tend to buy a car I want to keep, not sell, so that is not a really big issue. I bet the 570S will depreciate much like a 911 Turbo. It remains to be seen how the GT3 price holds up as the RS comes to market and the 991.2 GT3 is introduced. It sure seems like a lot of folks are selling them and that may soften prices. If you are a Car guy, you have to respect the McLaren. If you are a Porsche only guy, well nothing can be said to sway your view anyway.
Well said...especially the part on respecting the McLaren if you are a car guy.

On short tracks, the GT3 and McLaren will be very similar. On long tracks, the McLaren will be faster. Personally, and this is subjective of course, the GT3 is the "better" track car for me. The feel and mainly the naturally aspirated engine do it for me.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kyrocks has it right.

Huracan will be 350k once optioned. Too much cash for the tamest looking (perhaps will age well though) lambo in a while. I've driven it on track and was very pleasantly surprised. Really fun and the V10 engine symphony is delicious.

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 04-14-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the macs, just dont buy them new and it should be the typical depreciation...seems like a super good deal at some point w extended warranty. btw, all brit cars electronics suck
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Kyrocks has it right.

Huracan will be 350k once optioned. Too much cash for the tamest (perhaps will age well though) lambo in a while. I've driven it on track and was very pleasantly surprised. Really fun and the V10 engine symphony is delicious.
I bet a reasonably optioned Huracan is $285k USD.

Quick Reply: McLaren 570s MSRP'ing at $185,900.