Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Tire Test: Dunlop Vs. Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Have some new HRE coming for the touring and the car won't be seeing the track. Want to keep the Dunlops on the original wheels in case I need to swap out... MPSS still the best option for street and mountain driving?
Old 02-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
33F/35R when hot..
Beautiful, thanks

Originally Posted by tonymission
Have some new HRE coming for the touring and the car won't be seeing the track. Want to keep the Dunlops on the original wheels in case I need to swap out... MPSS still the best option for street and mountain driving?
I would go with the Pilot Sport 4S which have replaced the Super Sports. I recall a new compound being released this month but I haven't seen an update.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
I would go with the Pilot Sport 4S which have replaced the Super Sports. I recall a new compound being released this month but I haven't seen an update.
Thanks, my tire shop just said the same thing. Appreciate the confirmation.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally like the dunlops as they are super sticky. The real down side is that the scrub SO FAST.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I got the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 on the RS and love them. So far 8 days at Sebring and two autocrosses, total of 3000 miles and still sticky this past weekend at Sebring. They are wearing well across the tread with more than OEM but not aggressive camber. They are holding up better than my cup2s ever did on the GT3. I heard the gen 1 Dunlop’s heat cycle out but these seem to be an improvement. They accomplished a 2:19.10 on the track day 7 which for me is pretty good.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

OEM Dunlaps on my 2015 GT3 were total crap in the cold. M were so much better. Late fall.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I got the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 on the RS and love them. So far 8 days at Sebring and two autocrosses, total of 3000 miles and still sticky this past weekend at Sebring. They are wearing well across the tread with more than OEM but not aggressive camber. They are holding up better than my cup2s ever did on the GT3. I heard the gen 1 Dunlop’s heat cycle out but these seem to be an improvement. They accomplished a 2:19.10 on the track day 7 which for me is pretty good.
Thats great news!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Thats great news!
A friend who tracks a GT3 with Cups and an .2RS with Maxx Race2 says the Dunlop’s are not as good on track in the rain. For me on a dry track in Florida the Dunlops are keepers.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 PM
ClockOP
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this is a surprise! I always thought Dunlops are budget alternatives to the Michelins on a 911.

Just put brand new SC2 N1s on my car 2 weeks ago. I will definitely try the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 N1 back to back on the track!
Old 10-09-2019, 12:39 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by ClockOP
Wow this is a surprise! I always thought Dunlops are budget alternatives to the Michelins on a 911.

Just put brand new SC2 N1s on my car 2 weeks ago. I will definitely try the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 N1 back to back on the track!
Dunlops are actually more expensive than Cup2 - and apparently worth it (haven’t tried them yet)
Old 10-09-2019, 03:52 PM
ClockOP
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Dunlops are actually more expensive than Cup2 - and apparently worth it (haven’t tried them yet)
Yeah I just checked on tirerack they are 15% more expensive than the SC2. No one talks about them weirdly.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

My experience is cording the Dunlop 2’s after 200 track miles (pushing hard) and 7 cycles (less than 2 days). MPSC2 N1s have tread after 4 days and 350 miles but lose grip and understeer.

I personally think the Dunlop’s need lots of camber compared to the cups. I’ve burned thru 2 sets of Dunlop’s and headed back to cups.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:57 PM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

When I got my 18 GT3, it had Dunlops on it and I was deeply disappointed after years of using Cup 2's on my Turbo. My experience with Dunlops is that I get more track sessions out of them than the Cup 2's. My current set, which I will finish off this weekend will have 10 days on them (4 sessions a day) and I am a fast driver. They are not babied.

I find the Dunlops to be more consistent and longer lasting than I have seen with Cup 2's. As much as I have loved Cup 2's, I will stick with the Dunlops for the foreseeable future.
The following 2 users liked this post by asenna8:
foot2pedal911 (10-11-2019), LandShark (10-14-2019)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:27 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi folks, I've had my 991.2 GT3 for 15 months now and have done 7 track days on the Dunlops. 6 of the track days were at COTA. They stick like crazy I would say - going through the S's and on the carousel. However, my car is a bit understeering so I need to get a more track oriented alignment but I'm not going to go whole hog as I don't want the car to be too skittish on the street. I just do HPDE's and I'm a reasonable intermediate/advanced driver but not all that fast (a lot of experience but it always takes me time to *get* a track and really go fast).

I have used the Pilot Super Sports on another car and found they take a while to get up to temp - a bit scary if you try to go 8 or 9/10's within a few laps. Obviously all tires take time to get up to temp but I think the Dunlops get there reasonably quick.
I've not yet tried the Cups yet but I'm going to order them next. With the discount at TireRack they are a little cheaper than the Dunlops which are a little cheaper than the Trofeo R's. I guess while I'm very happy with the Dunlops I wanted to try the Michelins to do an apples/apples comparison for myself. I figure like others have said that they might take a little longer to get up to temp but sounds like they should have similar lap times and may wear better (although seems like "your mileage may vary").
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
Hi folks, I've had my 991.2 GT3 for 15 months now and have done 7 track days on the Dunlops. 6 of the track days were at COTA. They stick like crazy I would say - going through the S's and on the carousel. However, my car is a bit understeering so I need to get a more track oriented alignment but I'm not going to go whole hog as I don't want the car to be too skittish on the street. I just do HPDE's and I'm a reasonable intermediate/advanced driver but not all that fast (a lot of experience but it always takes me time to *get* a track and really go fast).

I have used the Pilot Super Sports on another car and found they take a while to get up to temp - a bit scary if you try to go 8 or 9/10's within a few laps. Obviously all tires take time to get up to temp but I think the Dunlops get there reasonably quick.
I've not yet tried the Cups yet but I'm going to order them next. With the discount at TireRack they are a little cheaper than the Dunlops which are a little cheaper than the Trofeo R's. I guess while I'm very happy with the Dunlops I wanted to try the Michelins to do an apples/apples comparison for myself. I figure like others have said that they might take a little longer to get up to temp but sounds like they should have similar lap times and may wear better (although seems like "your mileage may vary").

Hey there, fellow COTA track frequenter over here. Two weekends ago I was at the Edge Addicts event trying the Dunlops out for the first time coming from Cup 2s. The Dunlops take a while to get up to temp (took me a good 2-3 laps to feel confident to lean on them, and by then you're playing catch up to the cars that passed you which can also be a little frustrating), but by then they're consistent the rest of the session and held up great in the late/hot sessions. I found the rears absolutely do not like <30 psi at T19 and T1. Eye-opening stuff.

The Cup 2s are fast about 3/4 of a lap in and to me have better communication and are more confidence inspiring but slow down throughout the session. Curious to see what your impression is on the Cup 2s coming from the Dunlops. So far I'm getting better wear out of the Dunlops on track.

Last edited by Jickel180; 06-30-2020 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Tire Test: Dunlop Vs. Michelin