Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement vs Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement vs Protection

Up here in Northern Alberta, we don't use salt on the roads because it gets cold enough for saltwater to freeze. So, they dump tonnes and tonnes of aggregate rock on the roads to aid traction. Cracked windshields are so ubiquitous that you can't even get windshield insurance.

Initially I was considering ClearPlex but I've seen some subpar installations, worry about the fuzzy vision as it wears and wonder what it would be like with polarized sunglasses. Plus, out here it's at least $800 to install. I've heard it lasts 1-2 years.

A replacement windshield for the GT3 is $1500 installed.

I've heard everything from "your car will never be the same again. the handling will change and you will have squeaks and creaks" to "for annual Clearplex you might as well have better vision and replace the windshield every couple of years".

Can anyone validate or discount the 'don't ruin your car with a change of windshield' belief?

A guy I know with multiple Lambo's, F-cars and the like believes I should do anything possible to avoid replacement. He's basing it on a windshield change on his Murcielago 'ruining' his car.

Thoughts? I tend to drive regardless of weather and will do 8-10 track days a year.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I would give clearplex a try because I have heard some very good things about it and some not so good so it is 50/50. I do not think I would opt for a windshield installation.

I am sure you will get some good input from those who have/had clearplex installed
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar situation where I live (believe it or not, in California). We typically get a lot of snow, with the exception of our current drought, and they have always used a ton of sand and gravel. I've successfully had 3 windshields replaced locally with no issues. They used factory glass, and covered the insurance deductible, so no cost.

This year we had the least amount of snow I've ever seen, and they've transitioned to Brine for safety reasons. Unbelievable! We have years where we receive 600 inches and much more of snow, and sand works fine. Then we get a measly 100 inch year and they switch to salt!

I'd much rather deal with a windshield than all the salt/brine.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Have clearplex on my 997.1 rs and 991 gt3. I installed it myself. Wasnt bad and there are videos on youtube.

Fine with polarized glasses. No clouding at all and no windshield chips after numerous track events. be patient with their ordering process.... Takes time for delivery.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Bartron
Racer

appreciate the feedback. will look into doing clearplex myself. At DIY price, it makes more sense.

Any preferred place to order from? I've been trying to find a place that will ship to Canada unless someone has found a place in Canada with decent prices.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:43 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

At the least run film around the edge of the glass where the black meets the clear. The most vulnerable part is the very edge of the glass that is not protected. You catch a pebble here it runs your glass. This is all a result of the factory not putting an edge strip on your glass because its cheaper to have the robot install your glass.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Cowtown and am already replacing my windshield and will be trying clearplex. Here is the website for Clearplex Canada's dealers

http://www.clearplexcanada.com/dealers

Clearplex install should be around $500.00 based on a few people I have spoken to.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
At the least run film around the edge of the glass where the black meets the clear. The most vulnerable part is the very edge of the glass that is not protected. You catch a pebble here it runs your glass. This is all a result of the factory not putting an edge strip on your glass because its cheaper to have the robot install your glass.
This is what happened to mine
Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

We got three Clear plex kits and they were all terrible. All three were different sizes, none were preshrunk enough and none fit well at all.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Clear plex will not save your windshield. Installation and visibility is not always perfect.
I track my cars and have had windshield replaced with OEM windshield. No change in handling. No extra noise. No nothing. I have zero deductible on my glass policy so it is "free".

I know exactly what you're talking about Bartron, I grew up in Edmonton. Always got a rock chip and filling it in usually helped for a while. My advice is if you can do a superb clear plex it may help prevent small chips, but don't be afraid to replace your windshield.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

I had Clearplex installed while getting the front end Xpel wrapped recently. Protective Film Solutions here in Orange County did a great job and the install came out real clean. You do lose a little bit of clarity with the film on. If you ever had your windshield tinted with 3M Crystalline or equivalent, it's basically the same look. I think it's still better than looking at a pitted windshield. I am not a fan of replacing windshields. I think you always risk wind noise and squeaks.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Bartron
Racer

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I'm in Cowtown and am already replacing my windshield and will be trying clearplex. Here is the website for Clearplex Canada's dealers

http://www.clearplexcanada.com/dealers

Clearplex install should be around $500.00 based on a few people I have spoken to.

Thanks Peter. Sorry to hear you've already had to deal with the windshield. I'll PM you for more details.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Bartron
Racer

Thanks kyrocks and Gotboost?

Seems like if I can get a reasonable install, it may not be too bad. That being said, perhaps an eventual replacement won't be the end of the world.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I would highly suggest an installer who has done a bunch. Although the YouTube guy makes it look simple, it is not. Very easy to get air bubbles, creases, etc. It will protect the windshield for a while. Then the film gets pitted just like the glass does. With occasional track use, it should last a year or so.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
LindsayMac
Advanced

One thing I would point out, it appears the windshield is prone to cracking. In the short time the GT3 has been out I know personally of 3 replacements in the UK. Mine, the UK press car and a fellow on Pistonheads who got in contact with me regarding replacement. I wonder if the glass is thiner than the standard 991.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement vs Protection