Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6pt harness lapbelt connected to OEM seat belt buckle?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6pt harness lapbelt connected to OEM seat belt buckle?

I'm planning the installation of my 6pt harness into a LWB car. On the tunnel or inboard side of the seats the OEM seat belt buckle makes routing the 3" lap belt through the opening in the seat a little challenging.

Does it make sense to consider using the existing OEM buckle the mounting point for the 3" lap belt? IOW, remove the 3" belt's snap on buckle and replace it with an OEM male buckle or tongue and snap it into the OEM receiver? The photo may make this clearer.

A setup like this would be simple and convenient. I'm reviewing it with the tech guys at the events I participate in, but I would like feedback here too.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:33 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
I'm planning the installation of my 6pt harness into a LWB car. On the tunnel or inboard side of the seats the OEM seat belt buckle makes routing the 3" lap belt through the opening in the seat a little challenging.

Does it make sense to consider using the existing OEM buckle the mounting point for the 3" lap belt? IOW, remove the 3" belt's snap on buckle and replace it with an OEM male buckle or tongue and snap it into the OEM receiver? The photo may make this clearer.

A setup like this would be simple and convenient. I'm reviewing it with the tech guys at the events I participate in, but I would like feedback here too.

I am assuming your anchor attachment buckle end has the belt threaded through it as there appears to be no seams in the belt next to the male buckle piece. And I am assuming you are unable to get the male buckle piece through the seat opening. If your anchor hardware (the other end that attaches to the floor - the one in your hand) is sewn into the belt it willl be difficult to thread the belts as you will have to push the male buckle through a hole that is too small (I am assuming??). However if your anchor attachment is not swen but threaded through an adjusting hardware piece (adjustable for lenght) then just unthread the belt, run the belt portion through the hole in the seat and then re-thread the attachment hardware and adjusting hardware at the anchor end. If your attaching hardware is swen into the belt I would get the other type. I would not cut out the stiching and attempt to re-stich the safety belts. I would also not try to mix hardware types using the Porsche factory 2" male buckle on your 3" belt safety harness .
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6pt snap on buckle is not sewn in, so it would be easy to replace with an OEM compatible buckle or tongue.

The 6pt snap on buckle will fit through the existing opening in the seat, but it is tight because the OEM buckle is pretty rigid and you can't move it out of the opening (at least I haven't been able to).

Comparing the quality of the OEM tongue to the snap on buckle, they are 3mm and 4mm thick, respectively. However, there are other metal buckles that fit into the camlock that are also 3mm thick, so this doesn't appear any less robust than other parts of the harness.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
The 6pt snap on buckle is not sewn in, so it would be easy to replace with an OEM compatible buckle or tongue.

The 6pt snap on buckle will fit through the existing opening in the seat, but it is tight because the OEM buckle is pretty rigid and you can't move it out of the opening (at least I haven't been able to).

Comparing the quality of the OEM tongue to the snap on buckle, they are 3mm and 4mm thick, respectively. However, there are other metal buckles that fit into the camlock that are also 3mm thick, so this doesn't appear any less robust than other parts of the harness.
There is an amount of stretch that occurs when you have an incident sufficient to need saftey belts. Even though they are tight in place they will stretch, I would be concerned that introducing a part that is not part of the original design may change the dynamics the saftey belts were designed to deliver. I would be pretty certain the safety belt manufacturer would not approve nor condone the modification of their safety belts. In modification of the Porsche system I would suspect that Porsche would wash their hands of it as well! If the respective manufacturers would not certify the modifications I suspect that race tech will reject it. They don't want to assume any libility for un-autorized modifications to safety equipment systems.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
LindsayMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original belts (Europe) are fitted with the correct anchor point not like the one in the picture. Unfortunately I am not a home right now to photograph our set up which is really simple to install. The fitment that secures the belt to the floor (tunnel) area is set up to receive the correct bolt and spacer arrangement.

Routing the belt through the seat opening alongside the existing seat belt anchor is no issue.
Maybe the US set up is different. I will be fitting my passenger side 6 points when I return I might take some photos of our set up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6pt harness lapbelt connected to OEM seat belt buckle?