Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essex/AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads for 991 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Also, has anyone tried these pads? Are any racing teams using them? How do they differ from the PFC11?
We are running both the DS2500 and DS1.11 on a ton of customer cars. If you read some of the customer reviews on our blog, they are mentioned a number of times.

The DS2500 is just a good all-around OE replacement pad for sport driving. They're extremely popular in many markets- Corvette, Evo, STI, BMW to name a few. They have a very nice feel, they're easy on discs, moderate dust, and typically only chirp a bit on the final roll-up to a stop. They can also take a much greater pounding than most OEM pads, so they're great for canyon drives or autoX.

The DS1.11 is an endurance compound that was just developed a few years ago and has become a big seller for us in a number of markets. Consistent is one of the most frequently used words we hear from our customers when describing the DS1.11. They have a very linear feel, and we rarely get complaints about judder and vibration with them.

Here's some more info and a dyno plot: http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds1-11/

From Ferodo's website:
Several brake pads on the market boast 'ceramic' technology. DS1.11 is the real thing. It is based upon a chemical family known as Siloxanes. Unlike carbon based materials, siloxane chains do not decompose at high temperatures and so DS1.11 keeps on working up to the highest temperatures a brake pad could ever see. That means it won't fade and has excellent life, the best in the Ferodo Racing range. Moreover the performance remains exactly the same throughout the pad's (long) life. It is formulated to provide a very flat friction profile at a medium/high level of friction. The pad compression is very low, always, and so pedal travel is short and consistent.
We tested these on our own dyno at Essex, and they hold up extremely well at high temperatures. The mu on some pads falls off a cliff when they reach a certain temp. That doesn't happen with the DS1.11.

The only downside that I know of with these pads is that they wail like a banshee. If you tried to drive these around town you'd frighten children. The DS1.11 is most definitely NOT a street compound. They'd be good enough to drive to and from the track with your radio on, but that's about it.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

$400 per ring replacement is much better than $600 per ring replacement on the brembo type IIIs I ran on my boxster spyder. Those rings only lasted 12 track days on my boxster spyder and my buddy's 997.2 GT3. If these AP rotors work just as well, last longer, AND are cheaper.... That would be great.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Superman32
what are the differences between these j hooks and brembo ?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...RIORBRAKESCAST

Does these have more vanes?
Those look like they might have a similar number of vanes, but then again that may just be a stock photo of the Brembo product.

AP Racing is owned by Brembo, but both companies are free to operate independently, and they compete against each other in the market. They both have their own management, staff, products, policies, suppliers, etc. Specifically for discs, AP Racing has their own foundries/disc suppliers. As such, the metallurgy of these discs is certainly different.

What I will say is that AP is generally regarded as having the most durable discs on the market. In NASCAR Sprint Cup for example, we have about 80% of the field running AP Racing brake components. Even teams running other manufacturer’s calipers can sometimes be found with AP Racing discs.

My hunch is that spare iron and attachment hardware is more expensive for those Brembo's.

I'm also willing to bet that you won't be able to find as many details on those discs as you can on the AP Racing discs we're selling (weights, dimensions, spare parts, etc).
Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924dp
Apex Performance is happy to announce we are working in conjunction with Jeff Ritter and Essex. We are carrying the AP rotors and both Ferodo and CL pads.
Please PM or call with any questions. These products will not be put on our website until next week sometime.
Apex Performance has been in on this project since its inception, and their Porsche expertise has been invaluable. Thank you Clark!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
My hunch is that spare iron and attachment hardware is more expensive for those Brembo's.
You are correct - the rings are significantly more and the hardware is $90 per corner compared to $25 (though Brembo includes new bobbins). I also prefer the hex head bolts for the AP hardware over the Allen head bolts of the Brembo hardware.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

AP Racing J Hook Racing Disc Update
Fleet testing is complete and we are now accepting orders for the front AP Racing J Hook discs. Both of the products in this thread are now also installed on forum member Orthojoe's GT3, and he'll be heading to the track with them this Friday. You can see install details in his track build thread.

Clark at Apex Performance has a couple more sets of the discs in stock out of the initial batch if anyone is interested. We have our second production run in process and they should be ready in 6-7 weeks. If you want them now, act fast because the first run will be sold out quickly I suspect. If you want to get in line for production run 2, we can accept your order and put you in the queue for them.

The matching AP Racing rear discs are currently in production and should be shipping within the next couple of months.

Here are some pics of the AP Racing discs installed:

AP Racing J Hook installed 991 GT3

AP Racing J Hook behind 991 GT3 front wheel

Ferodo Racing Pad Update

We have the front and rear Ferodo DS1.11 endurance pads in stock and ready to ship. These pads were specifically designed in the proper shape for the 991 GT3 calipers.

Click here to see full dimensional specs: FCP4664

FCP4664 991 GT3 Front

Click here to see full dimensional specs: FCP4665

FCP4665 991 GT3 Rear
Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

WE have just added the AP rotors to our website. http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2757.htm
A quality product at a fair price.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 05-30-2015, 02:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Since the hats appear to have the holes for 5-lug mounting, is it fair to assume these rotors will work with the Cayman GT4 as well (iron brakes)?
Yes, everything I've seen/read indicates that the Cayman GT4 will share the same front and rear discs as the 991 GT3. We should therefore have a great solution for GT4 owners at launch. We'll try to verify as soon as we can.
Any update on GT4 fitment?

Coming from a 987 R I'm also wondering how the rear parking brake design was solved; I'm not familiar with the GT3 solution since I don't have access to one to view.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like to know when the rears are available as I would only consider the full kit.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Any updates on when rear AP Rotors for 991 GT3 will become available?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default AP 991 rear rotor/hat

Originally Posted by Mech33
Any updates on when rear AP Rotors for 991 GT3 will become available?
Was advised by Jeff Ritter at Essex Friday that the rear 991 GT3 rotors would not be available until late August.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice. Don't forget the 987 Cayman, more of those at PCA track days than virtually anything else these days......
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mvez
Nice. Don't forget the 987 Cayman, more of those at PCA track days than virtually anything else these days......
Thanks for the input! We're looking at potentially creating a complete big brake kit for the 987 Cayman.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for the input! We're looking at potentially creating a complete big brake kit for the 987 Cayman.
Hi Jeff, what is the situation with the rears exactly? Seems like multiple delays. Are they for-sure happening? Will they be stocked in the future long term?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hi Jeff, what is the situation with the rears exactly? Seems like multiple delays. Are they for-sure happening? Will they be stocked in the future long term?
That's a pretty good question. Are the replacement rings going to be in stock. This ends up being a waste of money if we can't buy the rings. Are there lots of front rings currently in stock?

Quick Reply: Essex/AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads for 991 GT3!