Sponsored by:

PDK Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PDK Observations

I had a chance to drive my new GT3 last night for the first time. Went to the gas station & as I'm gassing up an older fella dressed in a suit pulls in & proceeds to inch up behind closer and closer until he was only 2" off my rear bumper. I asked him why he did that & he fires off "what's the big deal, I didn't hit your car did I"? I told him he wouldn't be alive if he had. What a douchebag.
I'm done venting...So I have never driven a GT3 or PDK before. I guess I will have to re-learn not to try & find a third pedal every time I'm slowing down. The car doesn't seem to be as smooth as my 996TT, maybe the better term is a little more raw even though it is 12 years newer. I can't wait to get beyond the break in period. Right now the odometer reads 121 miles. How many folks just leave it in auto mode all the time rather than use the paddles. Are the paddles mostly for track type use. Just wonder how fellow RL folks use their "baby's".
Attached Images     
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by viprklr
I had a chance to drive my new GT3 last night for the first time. Went to the gas station & as I'm gassing up an older fella dressed in a suit pulls in & proceeds to inch up behind closer and closer until he was only 2" off my rear bumper. I asked him why he did that & he fires off "what's the big deal, I didn't hit your car did I"? I told him he wouldn't be alive if he had. What a douchebag.
I'm done venting...So I have never driven a GT3 or PDK before. I guess I will have to re-learn not to try & find a third pedal every time I'm slowing down. The car doesn't seem to be as smooth as my 996TT, maybe the better term is a little more raw even though it is 12 years newer. I can't wait to get beyond the break in period. Right now the odometer reads 121 miles. How many folks just leave it in auto mode all the time rather than use the paddles. Are the paddles mostly for track type use. Just wonder how fellow RL folks use their "baby's".
What a douchebag is right.

Beautiful car. I know we've seen many white GT3s posted here, but man... the car still looks soooo good in white.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:16 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I use the paddles a lot. I hate auto mode shifting patterns and sport is much too aggressive around town. I figure the more I get used to the paddles the better prepared I'll be for the track
Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Auto mode shifts too early- it wants 6th/7th. I nearly always drive in manual and shift with the paddles. Much more fun. When slowing to a light or stop sign let it do the downshifting. Manual downshifting when slowing can be a little clunky. On a long highway trip I do use auto. On a 2 lane road and needing to pass another vehicle just nail the throttle and auto will select the right gear and bang gone.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use manual 99% of the time. I am pretty convinced that the German engineers had a conversation something along the lines of "we need to prioritize the manual shifting to feel like a cup car and if auto suffers and is jerky as a result so be it". Because the auto mode sucks.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This happens to me at red lights sometimes, they pull right up to the wing. I think it's a passive aggressive display because of the car.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Auto mode shifts too early- it wants 6th/7th. I nearly always drive in manual and shift with the paddles. Much more fun. When slowing to a light or stop sign let it do the downshifting. Manual downshifting when slowing can be a little clunky. On a long highway trip I do use auto. On a 2 lane road and needing to pass another vehicle just nail the throttle and auto will select the right gear and bang gone.

The big issues I see happening with AUTO mode is that we all start out by driving our cars gently. The AUTO mode will learn your driving style, and is designed with MPG in mind. From the factory, with 1/16th peddle it will short shift you to a high gear very smooth and very quickly. The Sport mode is really made for the track. When you want to go as fast as you can possibly drive, then put it in AUTO with SPORT button on. It holds gears though, and has no kick down function related to gas peddle. The manual mode works for most because we all like to baby our car as we drive, but want to rev it out a little bit, using most of the rev range, as if we were driving a manual car. If you are in AUTO mode, and mash the gas peddle, it will kick down to the optimum gear and red line it as you desire, and it chooses this variable on where you have the gas peddle. I wish Porsche would just give us PCM settings where we can change the aggressiveness to what we want. Maybe let us choose 3 programs, and have a custom one where you choose shift points.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I use manual 99% of the time. I am pretty convinced that the German engineers had a conversation something along the lines of "we need to prioritize the manual shifting to feel like a cup car and if auto suffers and is jerky as a result so be it". Because the auto mode sucks.
I like the explanation of that. I keep thinking, is the slow clunk in auto engineered in purposefully, or as a result of the priority you mentioned.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the paddles on the street 100% of the time. I am learning to drive it on the track and again paddles 100% of the time.
Once I have more seat time and am going faster I plan to go PDK-S on the track.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It's always down and to the left for me....never do I let the car shift itself....
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Great looking car. I've only had my car in auto for the first two blocks after leaving the dealership.

I get pickup trucks pulling up really close at lights. In that case I wait until I see the particular shade of green that pleases me before taking off when the light changes.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First 100km last night. Drove around in manual with sport mode on most of the time. Coming to a red light I find the car will shift from second to first gear on its own to prevent stalling. Is there anything wrong with letting it do that? Makes for a relatively smooth transition for city driving.

Driving like a pansy, I found the shift speeds kinda soft but when driven with even a hint of anger, the car seems to channel a whole other character.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use paddles 99% of the time - makes for a much more involved experience. Plus, if you put it in auto (not pdk sport), the car lugs which is not great for the break in
Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Paddles 95%, auto only around town. To make auto smoother you have to be a bit more aggressive with the gas pedal than in a regular car. A heavier foot accelerating makes for smoother auto upshifts.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Paddles in manual mode on the street, sport auto mode for autox or track, normal auto mode, well, almost never.

As for your gas station "buddy", douchebag for sure.

Quick Reply: PDK Observations