Sponsored by:

PDK Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
You're in neutral as long as both paddles are pulled in. Back in gear when released. I usually keep them pulled in until I come to a complete stop.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
strange, if thats why youre doing it then i dont get it, because you dont have to..

besides more fun to downshift
Then color me strange. I was explaining in what circumstances I use neutral. While downshifting is definitely more fun, I sometimes want a smoother stop. Being in neutral does that for me.

To each his own.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Paddles in manual mode on the street, sport auto mode for autox or track, normal auto mode, well, almost never.

As for your gas station "buddy", douchebag for sure.
I find both modes helpful. The manual mode is easier than I anticipated as it seems more intuitive than most cars with a clutchless paddle shift, you just don't move your left foot. I do down shift in manual, probably more for the fun of it. I mostly use auto in town and traffic. I don't have any smoothness issues on auto shift with a light, medium or heavy throttle. I think just being very progressive with your right foot is the key.

The auto program does learn your driving style and will continue to relearn as you change it. I also find auto useful in controlling RPMs. I am attempting to hold the RPMs below 4200 the first 2000 miles - I know there are varying opinions about it on this forum for need of break-in time or not. However the car is so suductive it is hard!! Auto helps...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
actually i find auto doesnt select the lowest gear possible for maximum acceleration..

this has been discussed before though.

In AUTO (with no buttons chosen), the PDK-S will kick down, dependent upon how far down you have depressed the gas pedal. I have had it skip from 7-4 when flooring it.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Then color me strange. I was explaining in what circumstances I use neutral. While downshifting is definitely more fun, I sometimes want a smoother stop. Being in neutral does that for me.

To each his own.
I am with you; on the street piddling around, I always go to neutral when slowing gently to a stop. It's just less wear and tear on the gearbox and engine, not using syncros, throwout bearing, engine rpms, etc (in a traditional manual). I save fun for track and spirited drives. And when endurance racing, I also reduce the number of shifts per lap in order to preserve the equipment.

Now what I am not sure is if the PDK really goes to neutral, or disengages both clutches when you pull both paddles. The gear number flashes, but doesn't show a "N" so I wonder and if it only disengages both clutches, then part of my genius strategy may be pointless.

I don't think it makes a whole hell of a lot of difference, but if you want a smoother feel when stopping gently (e.g. so the expert in the right seat won't remark how clunky the car is), pulling both paddles all the way until stopped works for me.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone tried this: At a complete stop, in gear (auto/D) pull both paddles and rev. Are you in neutral or does the car move?
Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Vtach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people use the paddles to shift vs pulling back on the gear shift lever in manual mode? I find it more fun to use the shift lever over the paddles.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

I find the shifter a silly appendage that makes no sense compared to paddles that can be accessed with hands on the wheel. I'd rather have 3 simple buttons like on my McLaren - D, N, R. I'd rather have unobstructed view of the center console buttons. I don't know any other DCT-equipped car with a shifter, but it sounds like a lot of folks want to take hand off wheel to shift - baffles me, but whatever is fun, go for it.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
I find both modes helpful. The manual mode is easier than I anticipated as it seems more intuitive than most cars with a clutchless paddle shift, you just don't move your left foot. I do down shift in manual, probably more for the fun of it. I mostly use auto in town and traffic. I don't have any smoothness issues on auto shift with a light, medium or heavy throttle. I think just being very progressive with your right foot is the key.

The auto program does learn your driving style and will continue to relearn as you change it. I also find auto useful in controlling RPMs. I am attempting to hold the RPMs below 4200 the first 2000 miles - I know there are varying opinions about it on this forum for need of break-in time or not. However the car is so suductive it is hard!! Auto helps...
Absolutely. It's all about personal choice and how you want to interact with the car and gearbox. Regardless, it's nice that there are options for different uses and the overall flexibility is pretty impressive.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I rarely use the shifter unless I have to take one of my hands of the
Wheel when doing a tight turn.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jlanka
Has anyone tried this: At a complete stop, in gear (auto/D) pull both paddles and rev. Are you in neutral or does the car move?
I haven't done it in a while but I know the car doesn't move, I'm sure of that.

Since at a stop you're in 1st gear, IIRC when you pull the paddles the gear indicator "1" will flash in the display and the clutch will remain disengaged until you release the paddles, just as if you were in 1st with the clutch depressed in a MT car. The indicator doesn't show "N" so I don't think you are actually in Neutral.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Bartron
Racer

So if I am in manual mode and approach a red light in second gear and simply stop, the car shifts from second to first on its own to not stall. This is a smoother shift than if I did it myself yet no paddles are pulled.

What is happening in this lazy scenario? Is there anything wrong with it?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
In AUTO (with no buttons chosen), the PDK-S will kick down, dependent upon how far down you have depressed the gas pedal. I have had it skip from 7-4 when flooring it.
yes, and in similar situation when in auto and pdk sport i think the transmission will already be in 4th.

the problem is i dont think 4th is low enough (for max acceleration)

because when im in pdk sport and auto, as we know ist always in the lowest gear so when you floor it your not in low enough gear so it bogs a bit. it should go to 3rd, or even 2nd, as there seems to be lots of revs left on the tach...

im pretty sure on this, so it seems they tuned pdk s to be more for track where theres always turns coming, than flat out speed?

either way i wish it kicked down at least 1 more gear when in pdk sport.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bartron
So if I am in manual mode and approach a red light in second gear and simply stop, the car shifts from second to first on its own to not stall. This is a smoother shift than if I did it myself yet no paddles are pulled.

What is happening in this lazy scenario? Is there anything wrong with it?
Nothing at all, IMO.

That said, I think the jerkiness that some people object to isn't so much in the 2nd to 1st downshift that you describe, but rather when the clutch finally and automatically disengages from 1st as you come to a stop. By pulling the paddles, you can disengage the clutch earlier and coast to a smoother stop without that final "clunk". Sometimes I pull the paddles and sometimes I don't. Nothing wrong with either method.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nothing at all, IMO.

That said, I think the jerkiness that some people object to isn't so much in the 2nd to 1st downshift that you describe, but rather when the clutch finally and automatically disengages from 1st as you come to a stop. By pulling the paddles, you can disengage the clutch earlier and coast to a smoother stop without that final "clunk". Sometimes I pull the paddles and sometimes I don't. Nothing wrong with either method.

i have alwasy found this 2nd to 1st shift when slowing to a stop to be clunky. with my cls63, my f10 m5, my e60 m5 and now even with the gt3... and they all have different transmissions, (except for the f10 and gt3 - both DCT's)

have always wondered what it was caused by...

Quick Reply: PDK Observations