Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
You can only get one single VIP allocation per 918 Spyder you own. Period.

Some didn't raise their hands when the first round went out. I suspect they're just giving those people a chance to raise their hands this time (now that reviews are out, and hype is up).

I don't like it because it means less allocs for non-918 owners, but it makes sense, kind of. It's still implicitly in violation of the 918 Spyder VIP Program Policies that PCNA published to 918 buyers.
I'm normally an optimistic person but I don't have any expectation of getting a new .1RS at MSRP from a dealer even if they have another 500-600 US cars in the next allocation. Maybe it's a sign for me that having spending about $250k on the GT3 and GT4 in 2015 is enough for the time being and it's time to replenish the savings for when it comes time to buy a private party used .1RS.

I'll be trading in the cars that I have now (.1GT3 and GT4) to get the next generation of .2 GT cars when my name gets called by the dealer/s in 2-3 years from now.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Miami Blue? Looks good...
Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 214 Posts

Some didn't raise their hands when the first round went out. I suspect they're just giving those people a chance to raise their hands this time (now that reviews are out, and hype is up).

I don't like it because it means less allocs for non-918 owners, but it makes sense, kind of. It's still implicitly in violation of the 918 Spyder VIP Program Policies that PCNA published to 918 buyers.
They had there chance ot raise there hand. Once you get out of line you shouldn't skip back to the front. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by poofyo101
They had there chance ot raise there hand. Once you get out of line you shouldn't skip back to the front. Just my opinion of course.
Completely agree.

And even if I owned multiple 918's, I'd agree. You snooze, you lose.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:02 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Completely agree.

And even if I owned multiple 918's, I'd agree. You snooze, you lose.
I had nothing against the 918 owners getting first crack as that is the nature of the business of being a vip client. However once you letting them have a second crack at it now when many of us are still dreaming of the first crack just doesn't seem right. If they do not want us to buy the car, then I won't buy it and take my money elsewhere. But I still think we will get it.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not a violation because PCNA gets to define what is meant by "... limited edition/specialty models."

If PCNA defines the GT3 RS as a series production car (typically means NO xxx/yyy limited edition plaque on dash), "Porsche 918 VIP customers may request to be provided a normal series production vehicle at any time the vehicle still has production available."

Even if PCNA defines the GT3 RS as a "limited edition/specialty model" (which they haven't), then the bulletin says, "... Should a 918 VIP customer request a specialty model after it has been allocated and made available to other customers, that specialty model will be provided to the 918 VIP customer based on the availability of unassigned units." No where does it specify how "unassigned units" are born.

PCNA's 918 VIP program is now clearly written and I assume it means what it says. Unless one carefully reads the latest revision (3/19/2015), one should not jump to conclusions about what it actually says.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

One more possibility is that not all the 918 owners had taken delivery of their cars when the first round of GT3-RS allocations were announced and given out.

Maybe this second round is for those 918 owners who finally took ownership of their cars this spring?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
One more possibility is that not all the 918 owners had taken delivery of their cars when the first round of GT3-RS allocations were announced and given out.

Maybe this second round is for those 918 owners who finally took ownership of their cars this spring?
I believe membership into the exclusive VIP '918 Spyder Circle' was processed at Porsche when your US$200K (approx) deposit for the 918 Spyder was taken by PAG (via his/her respective P-Dealer in the case of US market). And I am sure that many of those waiting for their 918's to arrive still got an opportunity to get an early allocation of the 991 gt3 RS even before their 918's arrived & were fully paid for! The exact date these invitations went out to US 918 customers was March 3rd, 2015:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

918 owners paid for the privilege. I was not smart enough to buy a 918. They now sell for 300K plus over.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:07 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I believe membership into the exclusive VIP '918 Spyder Circle' was processed at Porsche when your US$200K (approx) deposit for the 918 Spyder was taken by PAG (via his/her respective P-Dealer in the case of US market)...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Great info, thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carcommander
918 owners paid for the privilege. I was not smart enough to buy a 918. They now sell for 300K plus over.
So you don't think that giving them one chance at it was enough?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, the GT3 RS was not promoted as a 7:20 Nordschleife monster right out of the gate. It's possible its world-beater reality was initially undersold to the 918 VIP crowd. Later, of course, the word filtered out.

Porsche's reticence to reveal true capabilities up front is what spawned the necessity to create the 918 VIP program in the first place. When Porsche was touting the 918 Nordschleife times at the same value as lately revealed for the 991 GT3 RS, people were not moved to buy a slightly faster (due mainly to tires) version of the Carrera GT without a manual gear box, but with 700 pounds of ballast (batteries + electric drive). Some were moved, but many weren't. Only the addition of a pot sweetener like the VIP allocation program saved the day. To be completely fair, the announcement of a 6:57 Norschleife time ramped up interest. Never mind that it is almost half a minute faster than early claims.

Call it a German cultural characteristic or a businessman's tactical competitive calculation, but whatever it is then causes market issues that Porsche subsequently tries to "correct". Get used to it because it will not likely change.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No where does the program say you get one chance - they can place the orders while the car is available and they'll get allocations. Taken from the program materials:

For series production cars (500 cars or more allocated to the United States):
The Porsche 918 VIP customer may approach the authorized Porsche dealership where they ordered and purchased their 918 Spyder to indicate their interest to exercise the program’s benefits and purchase another Porsche vehicle. Porsche will make orders from Porsche 918 VIP customers a top priority. For series production cars, Porsche 918 VIP customers may exercise their option once per model year for one vehicle per model line (911, Panamera, Cayenne,Boxster, Cayman and any future model lines).
Old 07-14-2015, 02:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

And since people will ask, here is how it works for limited edition cars. If there happens to be a MY2017 RS, 918 customers get first dibs again.

For limited-edition models (500 cars or fewer allocated to the United States):
PCNA will advise all Porsche 918 customers of the availability of any new limited-edition model. Porsche 918 VIP customers will be given a reasonable timeframe to express their intent to purchase such vehicles. Only after the window of opportunity for Porsche 918 VIP customers has passed will unclaimed production numbers be made available to other parties. This means that Porsche 918 VIP customers have first right of refusal for these cars before any other entity can make a claim on a car. In the event that the number of Porsche 918 VIP customers wishing to order such a limited-edition model exceeds the total number of such cars allocated to the United States, production numbers will be allocated to Porsche 918 VIP customers in sequential order of the time the customer placed their order for the 918 Spyder. For limited-edition models with volume of 500 cars or fewer, Porsche 918 VIP customers may exercise their option only once per model (regardless of the number of model years of production). All limited-edition model orders must be placed through the same dealership used to purchase the 918 Spyder.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM
dochoff
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nate Oz I read it differently:

"Porsche 918 VIP customers may exercise their option only once per model (regardless of the number of model years of production). "

So a 2017 RS is not a new model so the VIPs CANT dip again

Originally Posted by NateOZ
And since people will ask, here is how it works for limited edition cars. If there happens to be a MY2017 RS, 918 customers get first dibs again.

For limited-edition models (500 cars or fewer allocated to the United States):
PCNA will advise all Porsche 918 customers of the availability of any new limited-edition model. Porsche 918 VIP customers will be given a reasonable timeframe to express their intent to purchase such vehicles. Only after the window of opportunity for Porsche 918 VIP customers has passed will unclaimed production numbers be made available to other parties. This means that Porsche 918 VIP customers have first right of refusal for these cars before any other entity can make a claim on a car. In the event that the number of Porsche 918 VIP customers wishing to order such a limited-edition model exceeds the total number of such cars allocated to the United States, production numbers will be allocated to Porsche 918 VIP customers in sequential order of the time the customer placed their order for the 918 Spyder. For limited-edition models with volume of 500 cars or fewer, Porsche 918 VIP customers may exercise their option only once per model (regardless of the number of model years of production). All limited-edition model orders must be placed through the same dealership used to purchase the 918 Spyder.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders