Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...

Contacted by my dealer today to give an update on my RS status. A couple interesting points for me, one for Rennlist community.

1. In addition to original 918 allocations (about 5), this dealer got 6 additional RS slots, that went to the first 6 on "waitlist". I would be in the next trench (if there is one) of allocations. Dealer believes it will happen.

2. More interesting to the RL community, the dealer indicated that Porsche is actively inquiring the dealers to respond with how many RS deposits they have waiting from committed RS buyers. This would support the theory of many on the board that while there may not ultimately be an RS for EVERYONE that wants one, Porsche is also not going to leave hundreds of customers with $200k in their hand to go spend that elsewhere. His comment to me was that they did something similar with GT3s and then ended up producing more as a result.

Makes sense to me. If it was my business, I would keep them limited enough to support the halo /rare effect, but its painful to have someone standing there with $200k to spend, so I would sell as many as I could without destroying the image.

All this speculation of course, but just fyi.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

I happen to agree with your speculation and I suspect they will do the same with the GT4.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always believed Porsche will up allocations...question is by how many.

Competition/options are coming in monthly. Heck the new McLaren Sports Series 570S sub-$200k is going straight after Porsche pocketbooks.

And there are many more of those brands entering that $200k range out there.

Then again I think PP (dealer) will pretty much say anything to keep a customer hanging on.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup. Completely agree with everything said here.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

PAG recognizes that GT customers are a very particular breed within the brand and most are very loyal,up to the point of being blinded by Kool-Aid. Most won't jump ship,if they do,they usually add,not switch.
Dealers don't need customers hang on so they won't lose them. They just know they won't. Their main task is to create allocation havoc so they can charge a premium from the early adopters. As allocations get released and the early hype is gone,they relax.
Just my opinion...

Last edited by neanicu; 03-30-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If porsche make too many GT3 rs. They will lose future gt3 and rs buyers. The can make as many turbo as the market want but not Gt3 rs. If they make too many rs. I would rather buy a used 458 instead.
Rs should be exclusive.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 686 Posts

One thing Porsche has going for it compared to other exotics is their dealer network, even in the hinterlands. I live in a semi-rural part of the Midwest but I'm 90 minutes or less from three dealers.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

They won't make " too many ". As usual,they will make as many as production capabilities allow them within a 2 year run. Which,judging by the 991GT3 production numbers will be more than 997GT3RSs made.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by neanicu
Dealers don't need customers hang on so they won't lose them. .
Sure they do...certainly from keeping them from going elsewhere (including buying another brand).

If a dealer keeps your hopes high they can get you an allocation--or in this case "you're next" on the list.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good to me....
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Sure they do...certainly from keeping them from going elsewhere (including buying another brand).

If a dealer keeps your hopes high they can get you an allocation--or in this case "you're next" on the list.

not sure how to read between the lines of your post, but let me clarify a couple things...

1- i am under no illusion that i am guaranteed an RS allocation... have stated that many, many times on this site... if you asked me to bet red/black yes or no, i say yes... but there is absolutely no guarantee.. i didn't have a gt3 allocation either, then got one, late, with LWB, etc.

2- i don't do business at my local dealer because i believe that they would put coolant in my oil tank if i wasn't watching closely... i have owned dozens of high end cars and several porsches, and have taken some of them to said dealer, and i have no faith there. your mileage may vary, and it sounds like you may be affiliated, but my experience is that they are a small volume dealer, with small volume mgmt. and techs, and have been on the brink of going out of business several times.

im not being fooled into waiting around thinking i am "next on the list"...to keep me away from other dealers...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
not sure how to read between the lines of your post, but let me clarify a couple things...

1- i am under no illusion that i am guaranteed an RS allocation... have stated that many, many times on this site... if you asked me to bet red/black yes or no, i say yes... but there is absolutely no guarantee.. i didn't have a gt3 allocation either, then got one, late, with LWB, etc.

2- i don't do business at my local dealer because i believe that they would put coolant in my oil tank if i wasn't watching closely... i have owned dozens of high end cars and several porsches, and have taken some of them to said dealer, and i have no faith there. your mileage may vary, and it sounds like you may be affiliated, but my experience is that they are a small volume dealer, with small volume mgmt. and techs, and have been on the brink of going out of business several times.

im not being fooled into waiting around thinking i am "next on the list"... even if my wife might agree with you
LOL--far from affiliated with local dealer--can't stand them. Bought one once there--never again.

Bought my last 4 out of state.

Enough said.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

LOL--far from affiliated with local dealer--can't stand them. Bought one once there--never again.

Enough said.
maybe bad experience with dallas dealer?

anyways, glad that you got your car....and life is good in Austin...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enough said.
Which is a shame. It's always nice to have a reputable, upstanding dealer local. I have that and feel lucky.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did pass by my dealer today to spec my car and I can tell you 2 things for sure. They will be the dealer with the highest number of allocations worldwide and the production is going to run for just 1 year and no way longer than that.

Originally Posted by neanicu
They won't make " too many ". As usual,they will make as many as production capabilities allow them within a 2 year run. Which,judging by the 991GT3 production numbers will be more than 997GT3RSs made.

Quick Reply: Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...