Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 AM
Gnil
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if any of these rumors about a 2 nd batch are true and where they come from ? Can any one confirm that the dealers have been told about a 2 nd batch ?

I spoke twice to my dealer yesterday, mentioning this rumor . He said all allocations have been done . Porsche has already received all the ' deserved' orders and has now sent back the allocation numbers . My dealer will get 12 . And he says he was told that there will be no cars built after December . The facelift Carrera is coming etc....
He was very disappointed and told me hw does not know how he will handle that with all his other clients waiting for one .

So there seems to be two very opposite rumors .......
Old 03-31-2015, 04:21 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
If porsche make too many GT3 rs. They will lose future gt3 and rs buyers. The can make as many turbo as the market want but not Gt3 rs. If they make too many rs. I would rather buy a used 458 instead.
Rs should be exclusive.
Yeah, ok. Since when does Porsche give a crap about if owners will have cars that will maintain value? They are a money making business. They'll make as many RSs and GT4s as the market will bare to extract max profit. If you don't believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Not exactly the point I was trying to make. But yes, it's entirely possible.

Turbo S's often sell at a steep discount to list price. I'd definitely expect GT3's to sell at health prices relative to their original MSRP.

Porsche has always flooded the market with Turbo's / Turbo S's, it seems. I absolutely love the car. But the depreciation because of that is painfully steep (and lease residuals reflect that, so it's always painful to convince myself to get one).
You bring up a very, very interesting thought....what's the lease residual on the GT3 or even an RS? If the production is going to be limited where they believe that the market will remain hot then there should be very little depreciation in the lease residuals for an RS. Very curious to see if anyone has found out what the lease cost for an RS would be.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
While I understand your point,the same can be said about the 991GT3. It was affected by the same engine recall/first hand I might add... Yet they've managed to produce quite a few of them.
Judging historically,the RS should come in lower production numbers than the GT3,but they will have to satisfy the increased demand they've created when they've announced the 911 GT cars in PDK only.
So,the question is : will there be more 991GT3 RSs than 997GT3RSs? I'm willing to bet the answer is YES!!!
+991...they sure sold a lot of 991 GT3s even with the engine issues and a stop sale. Good thing my car is optioned with a fire extinguisher.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:23 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If porsche make too many GT3 rs. They will lose future gt3 and rs buyers. The can make as many turbo as the market want but not Gt3 rs. If they make too many rs. I would rather buy a used 458 instead.
Rs should be exclusive.
Sounds to me like you are not the intended audience of the GT3 or the GT3RS. Neither car is designed for it's rarity and exclusivity. Rather, they are designed for their performance as a road car combined with their prowess on the track. They will build as many as they can find people to willing to cross the intersection of Deep Pockets Blvd and Demand Ave. If you want guaranteed exclusivity, then you should be buying a finite numbered car such as CGT - 1260, 997 GT2RS - 500, 997 GT3RS 4.0 - 600, 918 Spyder - 918 or wait for the 991 GT3RS special edition (4.2?) if/when it comes out. The GT3/RS was designed not to be a halo car, but to be a car used for homologating parts of the road car for use in their Motorsport program. Sadly, when the cars reach such high price points, the types of buyers change as well and many of these people who are now attracted to the car, nolonger really care about the historic significance of why these cars exist to begin with. Instead, they're more worried about exclusivity. There's nothing wrong with wanting exclusivity, you're just barking up the wrong tree in demanding/expecting it in a car that wasn't designed with it in mind. The exclusivity that has become synonymous with the GT3 and GT3RS is more of a byproduct of it's price level and motorsport intersections rather than by design such as the 918's exclusivity thru a finite production number. I will say that it's very interesting for me as a LONGTIME Porsche enthusiast to witness before my very eyes the changing (evolving?) demographics in which certain models are being purchased, especially the GT3/RS.

I think soon we will see GT3s are at a higher asking price than Turbos.
This I agree with, it's called the GT3RS The Turbo was always their Halo car for "ultimate" Performance and Luxury. This is definitely changing as the GT3/RS becomes just as luxurious through options and less about actual homologation as I described above.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
We went through this with the GT3. Allocations were limited in 2013, then there was the early 2014 GT3 interruptus episode, and then allocations starting trickling out summer 2014, and then by Sept/Oct they became abundant. The PTS got shot down so they could crank out all the orders by Q1 2015 and here we are. Now that Porsche is part of VW there is more reason, not less, to think that Porsche will build to demand. What they don't want is "halo" cars sitting on the dealer lots promoting bad brand image so they canvas the real players from the tire kickers before they commit to production numbers.
NAIL ON THE FREAKING HEAD!

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure this is exactly true.

For many potential buyers of the GT3/RS the very core of the car's allure and appeal is its exclusivity and its (perceived) limited production.

Many buy these cars merely for the "look at me" effect at your local weekend Cars & Coffee and the notion of putting this car on a track would be as foreign and unheard of as putting fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror.

On the other hand, I think in many instances for those that buy the GT3/RS to use either primarily or as an occasional track toy, the total supply and attendant level of demand have less significance. Much less. They just want the car, get it as soon as possible, and start flogging the thing. Bright colors might be important, (i.e., PTS) but the overall market dynamics and the perceived public perception of exclusivity is at best a secondary concern.

So, yeah, PAG wants to make money (who doesn't?) but they have to hew carefully to that fine line of making one less than just not enough to protect the GT brand image and public perception.
Again, I say, the exclusivity is a byproduct of the high entry point and the demand for it. Not to say that Porsche isn't acknowledging it, but I think it's more through the dealer networks that want this exclusivity to be perceived. That way people are lining up to put deposits down before the car is even announced, ie. how many people have deposits down on a 960 despite that a dealer technically cannot take a deposit on a car that doesn't exist, even though AP himself has not verified that it will indeed get produced (We all know AP, as much as anyone else, wants FEFI to happen and it will )
Originally Posted by Gnil
I don't know if any of these rumors about a 2 nd batch are true and where they come from ? Can any one confirm that the dealers have been told about a 2 nd batch ?

I spoke twice to my dealer yesterday, mentioning this rumor . He said all allocations have been done . Porsche has already received all the ' deserved' orders and has now sent back the allocation numbers . My dealer will get 12 . And he says he was told that there will be no cars built after December . The facelift Carrera is coming etc....
He was very disappointed and told me hw does not know how he will handle that with all his other clients waiting for one .

Honestly, because of the Stop Sale, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a very short MY 2017 production run of the 991.1 GT3RS much in the same way as the 997.1 GT3RS was produced in 2008 in small numbers and again with the small numbers of 2011 997.2 GT3RS's that were produced. There is already a precedent that has been set of producing the newer model/facelift at the same time as the outgoing model. Example, in 1989, the ALL NEW 3.6 liter, All new non torsion bar suspension, all wheel drive 964 Carrera 4 was built simultaneously with the previous generation outgoing G50 3.2 liter Carrera's. In 1998 Porsche was still producing the 993 for the United States, while the ROW cars were the entirely new chassis, water-cooled 996's (US got the 996 in 1999). Even as recently as 2005, Porsche was still building the 996.2 GT3's and 996 Turbo's while the standard Carrera and Carrera S models were now the new 997.1 cars. Take what your dealer said with a grain of salt as many times, the dealers themselves are less informed than many of the knowledgeable people here on RL who may have "close ties" to Porsche insiders or have at least have observed from afar Porsche's tendencies over a long period of time.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
This is definitely changing as the GT3/RS becomes just as luxurious through options and less about actual homologation as I described above.
I respectfully disagree....while certainly closer than last generation in terms of "luxurious" (thats not really the term I would use to describe a GT3) the GT3 isn't close to the Turbo lineup and Turbo is still marketed as the flagship 911...not sure if you have been in a 991 TTS but its quite a bit more luxurious (no tranny noises, engine not as loud, smoother shifting, etc, etc) than even a regular GT3 and RS, forget about it.....

the way people are lining up to put deposits down before the car is even announced, ie. how many people have deposits down on a 960 despite that a dealer technically cannot take a deposit on a car that doesn't exist, even though AP himself has not verified that it will indeed get produced (We all know AP, as much as anyone else, wants FEFI to happen and it will )
Dealers take deposits all the time for cars that don't officially exist....my dealer had 8 deposits on GT4 6 months before Porsche said a word about car.

, because of the Stop Sale, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a very short MY 2017 production run of the 991.1 GT3RS much in the same way as the 997.1 GT3RS was produced in 2008 in small numbers and again with the small numbers of 2011 997.2 GT3RS's that were produced.
I also am not sure about this as a numbers comparison, it was a different economy back then and a different time for Porsche with regard to manufacturing...don't believe this had anything to do with purposeful reduction in production after the last model but simply a slightly dried up sports car market for Porsche. Not sure about you but 2008 was not a fun financial year for me or my businesses.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As we don't yet know the final production number of 991 GT3's built, I wonder if PAG will meet it's target number or if there was no stop sale, do you think the final numbers would be much, much higher?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
As we don't yet know the final production number of 991 GT3's built, I wonder if PAG will meet it's target number or if there was no stop sale, do you think the final numbers would be much, much higher?
I think the numbers would have been the same....they just had to ramp up production to make up for the engine issues.....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I think the numbers would have been the same....they just had to ramp up production to make up for the engine issues.....
Agreed...they found additional capacity for "catch up" production in 4th quarter of last year....and more "bonus/reward" allocations popped up in January of this year although dealers had to spec those last builds with a very tight timeline. I believe when the smoke clears they will have gotten to the numbers they had planned to produce from pre stop sale production plan.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnil

I'm hearing the same thing from two dealer principals that it is done. My friend even got a call from his dealer GM asking if he would sell back his slot as they had another customer willing to buy it off him. Nothing in it for the dealer, my friend would get the fee.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is great, even asking this question in the first place means that they are still planning the capacity. Though that doesn't mean that some of you will have to wait an extra model year.

If Porsche is worried about this then they better figure out quick if the 960 will be limited or not.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm hearing the same thing from two dealer principals that it is done. My friend even got a call from his dealer GM asking if he would sell back his slot as they had another customer willing to buy it off him. Nothing in it for the dealer, my friend would get the fee.
Be patient.... I promise they are coming over next couple months
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yeah, ok. Since when does Porsche give a crap about if owners will have cars that will maintain value? They are a money making business. They'll make as many RSs and GT4s as the market will bare to extract max profit. If you don't believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.
One big unknown is the switch to Turbos across the 911 line - we don't know what changed to the factory are required to make this happen and what capacity they can keep flowing Etc. Is it still the 9a1 architecture or something different? Is it just a facelift and 991.2 or 992 as rumored with larger changes that make running the RS past December possible?

I don't know the answer, but there is at least some logic to a December production end. It doesn't mean they won't still produce over 2,000 cars give the throughput we saw on the GT3 at the end but it could be a much shorter run.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The facelift carrera is coming.
Production for the rs stops in December.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:38 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Heard this before with the GT3, production stops December. In fact, it was the ordering that was supposed to stop in December but seems that was quite not right either since new allocations seemed to be popping up in 2015, not to mention 30 PTS cars that came out of nowhere. I'll live with my GT3 if I don't get an RS and be none the worse for it, but frankly all the talk about allocations for the RS being done rings hollow. The dealer information is utterly unreliable often because they are given conflicting information from Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...