Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They won't make " too many ". As usual,they will make as many as production capabilities allow them within a 2 year run. Which,judging by the 991GT3 production numbers will be more than 997GT3RSs made.
Not sure it will be a 2 year run of this RS - things got cut short because of the GT3 engine recall resulting in the whole project getting pushed back 12 months.

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Let's not kid ourselves....they can still bump production slightly from original plan and the car can still be considered "limited". It only requires them to leave a few people at end of line still waiting for the hype to continue to drive demand. These cars cost a s***load to manufacturer with high supplier costs (some limited use parts) , new manufacturing technique to bond the different materials in roof together, etc etc. They want to produce as many as they can to recover up front costs and that comes through as much volume as they can reasonably do without saturation of marketplace or at least the "perception" of saturation.
While I agree the upfront cost is high, they might be looking to limit the run of RSs to avoid potential warranty exposure. First time producing with new materials, do you want 1,200 units out there or 2,400 units? You can argue either point so it's hard to form a view on this. Why not get a bunch of beta testers to pay $200k each to test it for a few years before you get to the next 911 GT run and sell less of them? I think with the engine recall issue, Porsche is going to play it a little more safe this time around so maybe we get less.

I hope they have the biggest production run of all of the RSs, the more profit the GT lines make the better off we all are long-term. But just trying to present the other side of some of these points.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Not sure it will be a 2 year run of this RS - things got cut short because of the GT3 engine recall resulting in the whole project getting pushed back 12 months.
Yeah. This ^^.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Zuffenhausen 31 März 2015

NEW INDIVIDUAL OPTIONS for the 991 RS

In a surprise announcement today, Matthias Mueller, CEO of PAG said:

“We have been talking with our customers, and are delighted with the wave of interest in the 991 GT3 RS which we announced in Geneva.
As always, we listen to our customers, and have received some feedback on the potential costs to repair these cars after a trackday event, given the use of Magnesium, Titanium, Carbon Fibre, Aluminum and other materials.

Today, available on the second allocation of cars, we are delighted to introduce Porsche Aero Protekt. This revolutionary technology, which we call PAP, has two purposes., first to protect the car as never before in the event of a collision. At Porsche we want to make sure that our RS’s are covered.

Secondly, the the optional PHP technology ( Porsche Helium Pompe), the car can be lightened by the introduction of Helium.

Without further ado, let’s unveil the prototype now:

As can see, the safest RS ever produced.

We also have a significant change in our individual policy, offering our customers choices they have never had before, with the introduction not only of the GT3RS, but the R M, R L and R XL.
Out flexible production lines allow us to custom size the cars to fit the ever increasing range of customer sizes, so that in particular, our more expansive customers can avoid the problem illustrated below.

With these new products, we are pleased to remain at the forefront of cutting-edge innovation”
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
One thing Porsche has going for it compared to other exotics is their dealer network, even in the hinterlands. I live in a semi-rural part of the Midwest but I'm 90 minutes or less from three dealers.
This ^

x 1,000,000
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would porsche try to pin down the exact number of deposits?

1. It could easily be production planning, and as many have stated, up the prod levels to be closer to demand or 2. (a radical thought) PAG is gauging how many deep pockets could be potential customers for different car priced beyond the RS. I posted a blurb in another thread about the New York Auto Show from Bloomberg News that says P will unveil a radically new high perf roadster state New York Auto Show.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
not sure how to read between the lines of your post, but let me clarify a couple things...

1- i am under no illusion that i am guaranteed an RS allocation... have stated that many, many times on this site... if you asked me to bet red/black yes or no, i say yes... but there is absolutely no guarantee.. i didn't have a gt3 allocation either, then got one, late, with LWB, etc.

2- i don't do business at my local dealer because i believe that they would put coolant in my oil tank if i wasn't watching closely... i have owned dozens of high end cars and several porsches, and have taken some of them to said dealer, and i have no faith there. your mileage may vary, and it sounds like you may be affiliated, but my experience is that they are a small volume dealer, with small volume mgmt. and techs, and have been on the brink of going out of business several times.

im not being fooled into waiting around thinking i am "next on the list"...to keep me away from other dealers...
There will be as many RS as $200k owners willing to spend it

What if P is worried because there s no the Klondike gold run for this RS?

After all RS full optionals cost like a Lambo or McL650 but its a GT3 in his roots
Ok my GT3 is special BUT one of the MAIN GT3 success factor ever is that it WAS costing much less than a Ferrari or Lambo something in between the BMW M3/4 and them
BUT performance wise closer to them than M4 or Jap Sports cars
NOW they pushed very far WHO knows if market could be fooled..
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

1. It could easily be production planning, and as many have stated, up the prod levels to be closer to demand or 2. (a radical thought) PAG is gauging how many deep pockets could be potential customers for different car priced beyond the RS. I posted a blurb in another thread about the New York Auto Show from Bloomberg News that says P will unveil a radically new high perf roadster state New York Auto Show.
It'll be the Boxster Spyder.

Originally Posted by fxz
There will be as many RS as $200k owners willing to spend it

What if P is worried because there s no the Klondike gold run for this RS?

After all RS full optionals cost like a Lambo or McL650 but its a GT3 in his roots
Ok my GT3 is special BUT one of the MAIN GT3 success factor ever is that it WAS costing much less than a Ferrari or Lambo something in between the BMW M3/4 and them
BUT performance wise closer to them than M4 or Jap Sports cars
NOW they pushed very far WHO knows if market could be fooled..
Still a big gap in the US from the GT3 RS ($175k) to 650S ($267k) to 458 ($233k). Priced similarly to the Audi R8, but cheaper than Huracan ($237k).

If you compare the RS to their track focused cars, the 675LT ($349k) and 458 Speciale ($288k) the price is even wider. $200k is the new $100k in this market...
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Not sure it will be a 2 year run of this RS - things got cut short because of the GT3 engine recall resulting in the whole project getting pushed back 12 months
While I understand your point,the same can be said about the 991GT3. It was affected by the same engine recall/first hand I might add... Yet they've managed to produce quite a few of them.
Judging historically,the RS should come in lower production numbers than the GT3,but they will have to satisfy the increased demand they've created when they've announced the 911 GT cars in PDK only.
So,the question is : will there be more 991GT3 RSs than 997GT3RSs? I'm willing to bet the answer is YES!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

absolutely think that it is about predicting demand for production and collecting 200k checks.

also agree that the 200k puts the RS in territory of many very other options... but that's a different topic I guess
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

While I agree the upfront cost is high, they might be looking to limit the run of RSs to avoid potential warranty exposure. First time producing with new materials, do you want 1,200 units out there or 2,400 units?
There are many layers of team members at PAG/VW devoted to potential warranty risk analysis based on complexity and costs of parts/systems. These costs are all packed into the total development costs with car and impacts how they can or will price it in different markets so the warranty equation isn't a limiting production factor.....besides Germans are too stubborn to think anything they built could be faulty to begin with so point is that they don't not build cars to reduce warranty risk. The bean counters are concerned with one important count.....units needed to break even, because all after that are profitable.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

absolutely think that it is about predicting demand for production and collecting 200k checks.
This is actually why a smart dealer will enter all their deposits in as V070 orders in the system. This is an easy way for PCNA to gauge interest.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

We went through this with the GT3. Allocations were limited in 2013, then there was the early 2014 GT3 interruptus episode, and then allocations starting trickling out summer 2014, and then by Sept/Oct they became abundant. The PTS got shot down so they could crank out all the orders by Q1 2015 and here we are. Now that Porsche is part of VW there is more reason, not less, to think that Porsche will build to demand. What they don't want is "halo" cars sitting on the dealer lots promoting bad brand image so they canvas the real players from the tire kickers before they commit to production numbers.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
What they don't want is "halo" cars sitting on the dealer lots promoting bad brand image so they canvas the real players from the tire kickers before they commit to production numbers.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:54 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

2. More interesting to the RL community, the dealer indicated that Porsche is actively inquiring the dealers to respond with how many RS deposits they have waiting from committed RS buyers.
I was told similar at the dealership today. Porsche has asked them to enter un-configured orders for all depositors hoping for GT3 RS and GT4 models. I've been on the list for an RS from day one but never offered any real hope of actually getting a car. I figure I'm all the way to 10% hopeful now...
Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
We went through this with the GT3. Allocations ... What they don't want is "halo" cars sitting on the dealer lots promoting bad brand image so they canvas the real players from the tire kickers before they commit to production numbers.
Not sure this is exactly true.

For many potential buyers of the GT3/RS the very core of the car's allure and appeal is its exclusivity and its (perceived) limited production.

Many buy these cars merely for the "look at me" effect at your local weekend Cars & Coffee and the notion of putting this car on a track would be as foreign and unheard of as putting fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror.

On the other hand, I think in many instances for those that buy the GT3/RS to use either primarily or as an occasional track toy, the total supply and attendant level of demand have less significance. Much less. They just want the car, get it as soon as possible, and start flogging the thing. Bright colors might be important, (i.e., PTS) but the overall market dynamics and the perceived public perception of exclusivity is at best a secondary concern.

So, yeah, PAG wants to make money (who doesn't?) but they have to hew carefully to that fine line of making one less than just not enough to protect the GT brand image and public perception.

Quick Reply: Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...