Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that would be pretty unusual vs. previous patterns, but I guess time will tell...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's not kid ourselves....they can still bump production slightly from original plan and the car can still be considered "limited". It only requires them to leave a few people at end of line still waiting for the hype to continue to drive demand. These cars cost a s***load to manufacturer with high supplier costs (some limited use parts) , new manufacturing technique to bond the different materials in roof together, etc etc. They want to produce as many as they can to recover up front costs and that comes through as much volume as they can reasonably do without saturation of marketplace or at least the "perception" of saturation.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 PM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
I've always believed Porsche will up allocations...question is by how many. Competition/options are coming in monthly. Heck the new McLaren Sports Series 570S sub-$200k is going straight after Porsche pocketbooks. And there are many more of those brands entering that $200k range out there. Then again I think PP (dealer) will pretty much say anything to keep a customer hanging on.
Re the 570S, I was just at a confidential preview in NYC of the car before the car is being launched at the NY Auto Show. The design was impressive – very sexy car – performance stats were solid (562 bhp and 0-60 in 3.1). However, while not official until next week, talk at this small event (maybe 75 people or so) was that it would be more in the $225k-$250k range. So for the money, we're still getting a LOT more car for the dollar with Porsches (GT3, GT3RS or Turbos).

Sorry I don't have photos. They made each of us check our phones before going into the event.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Let's not kid ourselves....they can still bump production slightly from original plan and the car can still be considered "limited". It only requires them to leave a few people at end of line still waiting for the hype to continue to drive demand. These cars cost a s***load to manufacturer with high supplier costs (some limited use parts) , new manufacturing technique to bond the different materials in roof together, etc etc. They want to produce as many as they can to recover up front costs and that comes through as much volume as they can reasonably do without saturation of marketplace or at least the "perception" of saturation.
+1

There is only one way they can make this car not appear "limited." That's if they do something that results in this:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...=GN_REFINEMENT

Or this:

Or, you know, this:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...d-kw&pgId=2102

I'm pretty sure PAG/PCNA won't do that with the 991.1 GT3 RS.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sccchiii
+1. yes, exactly this...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Also, remember, marketing is at play here too.

For one of the products my company launched a couple years back (invite only, initially), we intentionally throttled invites to make it appear things were hotter than they were. And, in turn, that made things as "hot" as we wanted them to be with respect to public perception. Self-fulfilling, if you will.

Car manufacturers do this every single time. They use words quite effectively, like:

"All allocations have been spoken for!"

Despite the fact that not all allocations exist in the system yet, and thus aren't handed out to dealers yet. But, the statement above is true, all allocations in the system have been spoken for. Either customers have them, or dealer principals grab them (because they plan to ask $XX thousand over MSRP for them -- *cough* Rusnak, McKenna, Beverly Hills, Champion).

PCNA / PAG even had dealer principals grab the last handful of 918 Spyder allocations so they could issue a press release stating that the "car is sold out!!!"
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
+1

There is only one way they can make this car not appear "limited." That's if they do something that results in this:

Or this:

Or, you know, this:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...d-kw&pgId=2102

I'm pretty sure PAG/PCNA won't do that with the 991.1 GT3 RS.
I think soon we will see GT3s are at a higher asking price than Turbos.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Superman32
I think soon we will see GT3s are at a higher asking price than Turbos.
Not exactly the point I was trying to make. But yes, it's entirely possible.

Turbo S's often sell at a steep discount to list price. I'd definitely expect GT3's to sell at health prices relative to their original MSRP.

Porsche has always flooded the market with Turbo's / Turbo S's, it seems. I absolutely love the car. But the depreciation because of that is painfully steep (and lease residuals reflect that, so it's always painful to convince myself to get one).
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I suspect its a bit tougher to get an allocation if you do not have a good relationship with a dealer you trust.

Do you get your car serviced there? Do you do do after warranty? Have you been a repeat customer?

My sense is that its a bit more than putting down a deposit, but I am not privy to the inner workings of the allocation decision.

I am sure they will do a second allocation, but they have lost a year basically with the GT3 issues, and are going into the 991.2 in September. Doubtless they will do the RS production simultaneously, and I would not be surprised if there were no RS.2 for the 991, like the 996RS.

By 2016 with all of the normal cars going turbo, and getting more powerful, it is going to be tougher to get a performance delta with the NA cars that would justify a steep premium, so my (absolutely not from any insider info) guess is no NA RS.2/
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronan
I suspect its a bit tougher to get an allocation if you do not have a good relationship with a dealer you trust.

Do you get your car serviced there? Do you do do after warranty? Have you been a repeat customer?

My sense is that its a bit more than putting down a deposit, but I am not privy to the inner workings of the allocation decision.
Every dealer is going to be different. And, not only that, but it'll also depend on whom you're working with at the dealer, and their relationship with their GSM, their GM, etc.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Trench?

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I would be in the next trench (if there is one) of allocations.
Jonathan:

This kind of 'trench'?

Or this other type of trench?

Either way, my friend, you are royally f***ed in you are in the next 'trench'.

But if you get lucky, they may shift to the next 'tranche'. There you'll be cooking with gas and might eventually end up with an RS!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ronan

i absolutely think this is right...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
Jonathan:

But if you get lucky, they may shift to the next 'tranche'. There you'll be cooking with gas and might eventually end up with an RS!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
haha... touche.... typing too fast and autocorrect dominates!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

I would agree with what you have said.

That being said, I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Next in line at my dealer but only received one allocation the first time around.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nbrown69

Sorry I don't have photos. They made each of us check our phones before going into the event.
Heard it's pretty damn nice.

Last edited by ATXGT3; 03-31-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche asking dealers how many RS waitlist deposits they have...