Sponsored by:

The PTS RS quandry...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
We need for Eduardo to chime in but I have heard that Porsche has a brand new paint facility just for PTS. From what I hear they will step up PTS production. Keep your fingers crossed..
Now if they would just step up the allocations......
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want Basalt Black so bad on my RS but not sure it's worth PTS prices :/
Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aboodchy
I want Basalt Black so bad on my RS but not sure it's worth PTS prices :/
Perhaps, perhaps not. But on a $200k car, shouldn't you get the color you really want? At least PTS isn't a $20k option.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 AM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Perhaps, perhaps not. But on a $200k car, shouldn't you get the color you really want? At least PTS isn't a $20k option.
Absolutely. It really irks me that even black of all colors isn't available as an option Heck, even if I wanted it caca brown, then that's the color I should get for $200K
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PTS will be available. You need to call your dealer and tell them to tell PCNA.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Yeah, makes me very sad. It's easier to do stitching than PTS exterior colors... Just change the thread.

Paint, on the other hand? You have to worry about how it'll turn out on different surface materials.

It's just laziness, in my opinion.
Yes it all sounds so simple, but in a modern just in time production system managing a variation for just one unit is very complicated, especially if all of you vendor/partners do not have the same production control system you use- in other words as a manufacturer you must rely on the vendor to deliver on time (time of day!) your "special order" which just is too much to expect. So what Porsche did in the past with special stitching requests was to simply modify a standard stitched seat- yes they removed the stitching and replaced it with the custom color and probably had the interiors staged on the line taking up space until the special order came down the line. With the new 991 GT3 and RS, they are built in the same plant as the standard 911 and unique model variations that are not part of the standard options cannot be staged taking up valuable floor space in the plant- they have to be on the just in time system- so it just is too hard to do. If the GT3 and RS were built elsewhere as in the past, this wouldn't be a problem. Really all the problems with Exclusive options are related to this challenge they have sloting custom pieces into normal just in time production.

This is my educated speculation- but I am sure this is in fact the problem they are having with PTS and Exclusive. Moving PTS cars to a special paint process will help that side of the business (as reported here), and may help with all painted parts, but probably interior customization will remain a problem.

Quick Reply: The PTS RS quandry...