Sponsored by:

Impressions of a new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Impressions of a new GT3

As you will see by the partial list of past cars below I have had a few Porsches over the last 40+ years. What doesn't show in the list is a long line of more modern cars for DD, 5 Audis, 9 Mercedes Benz, 2 Ferrari, 5 BMW, etc., etc. etc. My 50 year love (first fell in love in high school - but only from afar) of the 911 (eventually my first treat after getting out of school and putting together a few descretionary $$) has led me full circle to the 911GT3. So I ordered what I hopped would be my ultimate 911/ultimate sprots car when my dealer called and said he had an allocation for build in December and delivery in late February 2015. My car finally arrived and I have had a little chance to "taste it's flavor." All I can say is WOW!!!! She delivers on every point and actually more than I had hoped for. I re-speced my car it seems hundreds of times getting it just right with the help of this RL forum. So I would like to give back a little by offering my impresions for those still asking the "start-up" questions on drivability, etc.

PDK-S: Although this was one of my biggest potential issues with the new 991 GT3 (I really wanted a manual) I have found the PDK exceptional. In manual mode it is VERY intuitive and natural to use the transmission as though it were a manual without a left foot push on a clutch pedal - that surprised me big time - maybe it is the ability to hear the engine so well that makes it more intuitive. I have had many other cars with the auto/manual set-up like an '11 BMW M3 and a '14 Audi RS5. Those cars felt really disconnected when trying to use the manual/paddle shift mode, like you had to force it, very uncomfortable. The GT3 PDK-S is not only easy and inturitive to use, it is down right fun to run up and down the gear pattern

PDK-S Auto mode: I have read a few posts on this forum about disatisfaction with the auto mode - that it makes the car bump/buck and jolt and strange grinding/mechanical noises. I do not find that at all - maybe I am lucky. I do only use it around town in traffic as I do not want to lug the engine trying to keep the RPM's up and varied while in the engine break-in stage. I use a very light throttle foot and the auto gear changes are very smooth and progressive, no bucking or unusual noise from standstill or decel to a stop. Perhaps that is the key. If you are tromping on the throttle pedal in between stop lights I can see the auto program getting a little confused. But frankly I do not have any issues with smoothness of gear change and unusal noises. It just works like a perfect auto transmission, set it and forget it...

LWB seats: I am 5'9" (or 5'10" if I decide to stand-up straight and not slouch like and old man), 180 lb and medium build. The LWB seats are a dream for fit, as though they were made specificly for me. As in the old GT2 bucket seats I had in my previous 997 TT the bottom cushion is a bit thin on padding (maybe it is the old man problem) and the lower back could use a little more lumber support. I am still evaluating the seatback rake angle to determine if a little more "recline" would be good. So far the rake of the seat is not a problem, just searching for that ideal configuration. On the seat bottom and lumbar support I will be making a trip to Techart for that. They already make a seat bottom cushion that trades out for the stock one and is a ltitle more padded (I must not be the only one with that issue). At the same time I do that I will have them put a little more lumbar support in the back cushion and maybe adjust the seatback rake. All in all the seats are extremely comfortable, the issues I bring up are nit-picking a good seat. The looks are amazing and fit the stance of the car.

For entrance and exit. I find the seats OK. If you lift the seat height a little then you do not have to "drop" into the seat so much and you do not have a high sill to get over. If you lift the seat up toward the upper limits of the seat height adjustment then there is more to climb over and I suspect most will find it difficult. When I get in and out of the car I first plant my left hand on the door entrance sill next to the seat and then with a "stiff arm" I rotate my body and legs into the seat, same for getting out. I find that there is no difficulty at all with this method. I have a lot of other cars that are much more difficult to manuver in and out of...

Lift: I would not do without it. I am in Southern California where the streets are fairly smooth but the driveway veritcle entrance angles are all over the place. I use the lift all the time. I also like that the lift will automatically resolve back down after going over 30mph. I constantly catch myself thinking "oh I forgot to put the lift down" after leaving a driveway, but then realize the car has done it for me automatically.

PCM Voice Control: WOW!!! Best add to my build. I use the car as an occasional DD and use navagation and the audio control a lot. The voice management system works the best of any car I have ever owned. The '11 M3 BMW was pretty good, the Audi RS5 was absolutely terrible!! The Porsche voice system is immediate to respond to a command and gets it right very easily. A big surprise after dealing with the Audi system - that system is the worst.

PCM/Radio: Radio reception and sound quality is extremely good. I would be sure to order the HD radio option as most every FM and AM station in the USA is now broadcasting in HD. I did not want the hedious "wart" on the roof so no satalite radio on my car. This is a big departure for me as I have 5 cars with the SIRIS/XM opton on it. BUT after being enlightened on this RL forum about the possiblity of streaming audo from my phone I chose that route. At the time of ordering my GT3 I was using the RS5 as a DD. So I tried out the streaming capabliity on it. I found that SIRIS/XM audio broadcast sound quality is not that great and that streaming Pandora or the like from my phone gave superior audio sound reproduction in comparison to SIRIS/XM. On that score alone I was sold on the "non-wart" approach. The only thing I don't like about it is having to manage the station selection on the phone instead of the PCM screen, I wish they could resolve that. There is no real good place I have found yet to place the phone and make it easily accessable/viewable while driving.

The "Sound Package Plus" option seems fine for me. It is better than I had feared after reading some posts on this forum. The base reproduciton is actually pretty good considering no sub-woffer. It is not as nice as my previous high-end Bang and Ollfson system on the Audi, but I think the Porsche system is fine and I do not plan to upgrade it (a consideration originally based on forum posts). I think optioning for the HD radio and using a streaming audio source (or aux ipod, etc.) is a help to the overall sound quality and reproduction delivery.

For those having problems with loud/blarring audio sound when starting up the car and after using an aux input source previously, just be sure the aux audio source has the volume turned up all the way and adj in-car volume with the PCM volume control ****. I do this on my iPhone and there is no issue as reported elsewhere on this fourm.

DD Ride: I thnk the car is a fine DD. Our roads in SoCal are pretty smooth so I am sure that is one factor. At speeds below 60mph the interior noise level on a smooth road and in 7th gear is quite comfortable. If you are traveling on the highway at speeds above 65mph there is a substantial increase in interior noise level. In 7th gear the engine is not the culprit but the road/tire noise is quite loud! The ride quality itself is fine. It is a little stiff but not as much as our 2006 Porsche Cayman S was. The Cayman S also had more engine noise in the cabin as well.

Steering wheel: I kind-of like the Alcantara covering, but I prefer the perforated leather one from the '14 Audi RS5 I had - best feeling stering wheel I have ever had! The diameter of the wheel itself is OK but the "thickness" of the steering wheel rim itself is a little small. Another item for the Techart visit.

Aluminum Pedals: At last minute in my build I speced the aluminum pedal faces. Partly because I found in my research the stock pedal faces are normally plastic, just couldn't accept that, and partly because they fit the character of the car. I was concerned about the potential sliperyness of the pedal faces itself as they did not appear to be too aggressive in finish. However the surfaces are very roughened, raised and provde plenty of grip. I have not tired getting in the car with soaking shoes dripping with water but that is not a real problem in SoCal so not an issue. For looks and accent to a car with platinum stitching and silver painted wheels the aluminum pedal finishes are a great detail accent.

Car Cover: (for those of you with an RS5 cover in the closet) A minor consideration, but I have a personal rule that if my car sits for longer than 1 -2 hours I cover it. Out of immediate necessity (I usually buy a cover immediately at purchase of a new car) I tried my Audi RS5 cover on the car, it is a perfect fit, even for the tail wing size and height. It just goes to show that although todays cars have different looks to them all things considerid the overall envelope is about the same.

Sorry for the long protracted post but I wanted to give back a little and I have been seeing several posts regarding some of the issues I have commenetd upon. I hope it helps someone, this board has been invaluable to me.

Last edited by GregJGT3; 03-25-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree with your assessment of the PDK/S in auto mode. I only use it in downtown traffic typically when I'm w/ my wife and we both find it comfort when used w/ a light foot.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Great write-up. Enjoyed reading it very much.

Congrats.

Originally Posted by GregJGT3

PCM Voice Control: WOW!!! Best add to my build. I use the car as an occasional DD and use navagation and the audio control a lot. The voice management system works the best of any car I have ever owned. The '11 M3 BMW was pretty good, the Audi RS5 was absolutely terrible!! The Porsche voice system is immediate to respond to a command and gets it right very easily. A big surprise after dealing with the Audi system - that system is the worst.
... and you must speak fluent Doppelkupplung.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-25-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:11 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I get in and out of the car I first plant my left hand on the door entrance sill next to the seat and then with a "stiff arm" I rotate my body and legs into the seat, same for getting out. I find that there is no difficulty at all with this method. I have a lot of other cars that are much more difficult to manuver in and out of...
Do you face away from the car and put the left arm into the door sill end that is furthest away from the door hinge, then stiff arm while going in butt first?

PCM Voice Control: WOW!!! Best add to my build. I use the car as an occasional DD and use navagation and the audio control a lot. The voice management system works the best of any car I have ever owned. The '11 M3 BMW was pretty good, the Audi RS5 was absolutely terrible!! The Porsche voice system is immediate to respond to a command and gets it right very easily. A big surprise after dealing with the Audi system
This is quite a surprise to hear! Wish I had spec'ed it now!

Great read, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by SECRET M
Do you face away from the car and put the left arm into the door sill end that is furthest away from the door hinge, then stiff arm while going in butt first?

This is quite a surprise to hear! Wish I had spec'ed it now!

Great read, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Yes on the "stiff arm" butt question ;-). I actually face out looking 1/2 way between straight out and forward and swing in my right leg at the same time I lower my butt in pivoting on my left leg. It's pretty simple...
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Nice write up and congrats on getting to enjoy the car.

Just curious - Do you wash the car every time you use the car cover? If you don't you could be doing more damage to the paint then just leaving the cover off the car.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by mwar99
Nice write up and congrats on getting to enjoy the car.

Just curious - Do you wash the car every time you use the car cover? If you don't you could be doing more damage to the paint then just leaving the cover off the car.
That is a consideration, I do wash the car weekly. So I use the cover with that in mind. It is a breathable thin material (no texture or fluffy material inside) and the fit is very loose. I do use it on occasions between washes. My big concern is exterior and interior sun protection. Here is SoCal the sun is pretty intense and the car has to sit out if I take it to work. It is amazing how fadded the cover becomes and the cover material is supposed to be pretty fade resistant.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Hope to see you around in Irvine. Post pics of your car when you can .
Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Greg,

Spot on!! I love the PDK!!

PDK-S: Although this was one of my biggest potential issues with the new 991 GT3 (I really wanted a manual) I have found the PDK exceptional. In manual mode it is VERY intuitive and natural to use the transmission as though it were a manual without a left foot push on a clutch pedal - that surprised me big time - maybe it is the ability to hear the engine so well that makes it more intuitive. I have had many other cars with the auto/manual set-up like an '11 BMW M3 and a '14 Audi RS5. Those cars felt really disconnected when trying to use the manual/paddle shift mode, like you had to force it, very uncomfortable. The GT3 PDK-S is not only easy and inturitive to use, it is down right fun to run up and down the gear pattern

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Greg...how about some pics of your new baby ?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Great write up!!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the write up. You mention you are looking at changing the recline on the LWBs. I didn't know that was possible. Can you explain how it's done?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Thanks for the write up. You mention you are looking at changing the recline on the LWBs. I didn't know that was possible. Can you explain how it's done?
Well the answer is I don't know specifically how to do it...yet. BUT I suspect Techart will figure out a way. I am sure if needed there can be an adaptor plate made to accmodate the bolt holes in implementing the seat angle change. I have not decided this is required yet. I will first drive the car a little longer and also try sitting in it with a helmet on to see if the recline increase is needed.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well the answer is I don't know specifically how to do it...yet. BUT I suspect Techart will figure out a way. I am sure if needed there can be an adaptor plate made to accmodate the bolt holes in implementing the seat angle change. I have not decided this is required yet. I will first drive the car a little longer and also try sitting in it with a helmet on to see if the recline increase is needed.
Ah I see, yes, shim up the front of the seat. Interesting idea. One of the reasons I didn't go with LWBs is they are too upright for my taste. That said, maybe I should change my taste because the steering wheel is too far away in my normal seating position too.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Ah I see, yes, shim up the front of the seat. Interesting idea. One of the reasons I didn't go with LWBs is they are too upright for my taste. That said, maybe I should change my taste because the steering wheel is too far away in my normal seating position too.
Did you sit in the LWB's before you made your decision ? I find them quite comfortable in the stock config...

Quick Reply: Impressions of a new GT3