Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of a new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now have 3200 and use both auto and manual. Manual if for the open road but often switch to auto coming into town. Auto has gotten better with use. It is clunky if real easy on the throttle and better if I apply more quicker. Say just a touch but about 1/8 to 1/4 and all is good.

Shift to 1st is always clunky and pull both paddles if I wish to avoid this section.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
I really don't know how to expalin why I am not hearing the "grating" noises some are complaining about with the auto mode PDK-S. I am driving the car like I dirve any other auto transmission car. The only thing I can surmise is that I use a fairly light and progressive pressure on the throttle. Here is a video I took this morning driving the car in PDK-S auto mode with the car shifting from 7th down to 1st and then back up from standstill 1st to 7th gear. I hope the sound can come through OK as the transmission and engine are fairly quite relative to the ambient noise road/tire noise:

Porsche PDK--S auto mode GJGT3 - YouTube

Hopefully this works OK for everyone to view. I really have no noise issues or jerky motions with auto mode PDK-S
Thanks for taking the time to post the video. You're giving it some reasonable gas in the video since it is shifting over 2,000 RPM. When I drive it around town, I'm often giving it light enough throttle that it is shifting by ~1,500 RPM and never passes over 2,000, and shifts up more quickly and successively as a result. Try that and report back on if clunking is increased.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for taking the time to post the video. You're giving it some reasonable gas in the video since it is shifting over 2,000 RPM. When I drive it around town, I'm often giving it light enough throttle that it is shifting by ~1,500 RPM and never passes over 2,000, and shifts up more quickly and successively as a result. Try that and report back on if clunking is increased.
I have done that with shifts all occuring before 2000 RPM - no noises. I took this mornings video early and there was no traffic so no reason to be excessively gentle. I wanted to try that in case the light throttle appraoch was the key and those using a heavier foot were having the problem. I can drive around town with the gearbox in auto going up and down the gear range and it just sounds like the transmission in my RS5, no issues and very smooth. Maybe I just got a lucky on this one!! All I know is I can use the gearbox in either auto or manual and there are no noises or roughmness to the shifts, light throttle or heavy. I just thought this all normal until I started reading the other posts on the PDK-S issues. Because it was wierd to me and my experience I posted my experience.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Greg - thanks for posting, I also don't get the transmission sounds and would say it's similar to the RS5 as well. I also have an RS5 cover sitting around that maybe I will keep now!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Greg - thanks for posting, I also don't get the transmission sounds and would say it's similar to the RS5 as well. I also have an RS5 cover sitting around that maybe I will keep now!
You will find the RS5 cover a Perfect for the GT3. Not too tight, completley covers including the tail section. The mirror pockets have a slight stretch to them but fine. I like it because the contours don't hug the car contours tightly like most custom covers and you really can't tell what is under the cover - best when sitting out in a parking unattended...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Hi Nate, for you the RS5 cover on the GT3: best to lay cover lengthwise on top of car, hook both mirrors, hook front clip and then hook back clip. Reverse for removal. Front to mirror distance tight so the method makes it easy...
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Great review, thank-you! The car is really amazing, and yes I agree the worst noise comes from the road noise transmitted by the tires. Try driving here, roads are awful.

When I lived in SoCal I always used a car cover- unique to SoCal is the pollution and dust that falls on your car. In a week of parking outdoors for work without a cover there is a cover of grime that requires washing to get out. Something that never happens here in Oregon or for that matter in Tennessee either. Your car stays relatively clean here, except for pollen in the spring. So I totally get the need for a cover in SoCal.

Quick Reply: Impressions of a new GT3