Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90dB @ Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I was there too! Unfortunately, my car broke in the first session and I could not participate any longer. My buddy with an Orange McLaren gave me passenger rides; he is an awesome driver.

The story with the sound limit is that first of all the track is owned by the county; so they must follow all sorts of rules and ordinances from the city. Second, there is mainly one resident in the area who is very active to stop all races at Laguna. He's lived there for many years; not a new owner. Apparently, many years ago he lost his own child or a nephew /niece due to a speeding accident and he has taken upon him to make the rest of the world ride on horse carriages!!! I feel bad for his loss, but you cannot possibly be so narrow minded...

Kevin.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

How ridiculous, it's a race track for crying out loud.

Perhaps it's a government conspiracy to get us to all buy "green" and quiet electric cars.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Here is the cup car in front of me at Laguna. check out this exhaust system, this will look good on your new GT3.

Holy crap...that is priceless. I worry about added back pressure blowing out the seals in the other direction. That car makes the 90dB limit ?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Ed, are you going to make those? Look like they might work underwater.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Holy crap...that is priceless. I worry about added back pressure blowing out the seals in the other direction. That car makes the 90dB limit ?
Yes by generating the sound the opposite direction of the sound reading shack after turn 5.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:35 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey Max, what is the solution you run at Laguna??
I have turnups with supertrapps. I passed both 92 and 90 days going full throttle. The result is VERY quiet - I'd say it's on par or quieter than stock e90 M3. The problem is it's a bit too restrictive and gets bumper a bit too hot so that one of the reflectors warps. It's a $20 part, but I just do not like the idea of having so much heat trapped there. So for now I'm avoiding Laguna until the vendor figures out an improved version. Here is a picture of this "beauty" in action.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I have turnups with supertrapps. I passed both 92 and 90 days going full throttle. The result is VERY quiet - I'd say it's on par or quieter than stock e90 M3. The problem is it's a bit too restrictive and gets bumper a bit too hot so that one of the reflectors warps. It's a $20 part, but I just do not like the idea of having so much heat trapped there. So for now I'm avoiding Laguna until the vendor figures out an improved version. Here is a picture of this "beauty" in action.

Neat! I've got another day there in a week (also with speedsf) and unless a miracle cure arrives, I'll be lugging it up the hill again. It must add 5 seconds to my lap.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Yes by generating the sound the opposite direction of the sound reading shack after turn 5.

So it needs to swivel depending on what side of the track the sound **** is at ?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I was at a private track event today at Laguna Seca. Only about 40 cars. 5 were 991 GT3s. We all got meatballed for sound in the first session. I was in 5th at about 5500rpm and got a 94.9. By the end of the day, 6 sessions, 3 of the 5 got their 3 strikes. I only got the one. Unfortunately, the only way to make sound is to shift in to 6th gear right after turn 5 and keep the rpms below 4000. It's painful going up the hill. Miatas can pass you. You almost don't even need to brake for the next corner.

As a point of reference, staying in the proper 3rd gear hits 102dB.
Laguna Seca is owned by the County of Monterey. They are subject to "public pressure." As said above there have been multiple housing developments built around the track. Now they all complain about the noise... Yes the track was there first and they elected to move in voluntary. Now the track doles out a certain number of unlimited sound track days a year. The Historics run under some of those unlimited days. The sanctioning body for the Historics is HMSA and their remaining club track days through the rest of the year are under sound restriction. Yes, if you want to tun on a sound restricted day you have to either fit a quieter exhaust or back off past the sound station. Otherwise you don't get to run...

Last edited by GregJGT3; 03-26-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
So it needs to swivel depending on what side of the track the sound **** is at ?
Unless things have changed, the sound shack is on the right.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

LS is very $$$$ to run higher than 90db. The unlimited days are crazy expensive. It's a sliding scale for $ w.r.t. to the db limit.

SP Motorsports in Hayward, CA makes a great exhaust for the GT cars that passes sound at 90db.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Looks like they just have to make the pipes stick out further before they turn up?

Has anyone heard of someone doing the mod to force the OEM PSE exhaust valve to stay closed at WOT? Supposedly this enables 997 GT3 to pass sound at Laguna.

Last edited by Mech33; 03-26-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

It was too nice a day to be so fustrated by the soundman. We all followed the same strategy: under 4k, 5th or 6th gear. Still one by one we were seemingly randomly picked off. After getting my 3rd meatball on the front straight I decided to determine how loud the car was driven properly through turn 5, 102.2db. That's with the SW bypass. Of course I got a talking-to due to my apparent "Top Gun" drive by... I did try a simple diverter (without traps) but it didn't make a big enough difference.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I was at a private track event today at Laguna Seca. Only about 40 cars. 5 were 991 GT3s. We all got meatballed for sound in the first session. I was in 5th at about 5500rpm and got a 94.9. By the end of the day, 6 sessions, 3 of the 5 got their 3 strikes. I only got the one. Unfortunately, the only way to make sound is to shift in to 6th gear right after turn 5 and keep the rpms below 4000. It's painful going up the hill. Miatas can pass you. You almost don't even need to brake for the next corner.

As a point of reference, staying in the proper 3rd gear hits 102dB.
It was great meeting you ...

I was the first one to get 3 meatballs and go home

I'l try to come on the 4th with SpeedSF and test the "fix"

Aleks.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am curious if the City or administration of Laguna Seca would do anything if the track event organizers like HOD, SpeedSF, Trackmasters, NCRC would boycott LS and would not schedule any events at that track.

It's absurd to have a sound limit at the race track. I can see how it can be limited at 103db but not 90dbs. Between Tuesday and Today i spent $700 for 3 runs and got kicked out half day through.

Is Laguna Seca a future home for electric race cars?

Quick Reply: 90dB @ Laguna Seca