Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that stream bluetooth audio: any way around the loud radio at start-up??

Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Interesting. How did you set FM to 1?
press "source" ---then "FM" ---then "sound" button---then "option" then "set TP volume" then scroll cursor down to 1

I still want to know what TP stands for
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
press "source" ---then "FM" ---then "sound" button---then "option" then "set TP volume" then scroll cursor down to 1

I still want to know what TP stands for
I'll have to try it, but not sure why this would affect anything: TP volume is "Traffic Program" volume according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...me-on-pcm.html

Traffic Program (TP) is the radio feature that uses the RDS (RDBS in the US) system which uses FM radio side-band frequency space to identify official traffic update broadcasts. The way the system works is if TP is enabled, then whenever there is an official traffic announcement on a radio station, that radio station would send out a TP marker signal before the traffic announcement, and one at the end of the announcement. The car's audio system would the switch sources automatically so you would hear the traffic announcement and then switch back at the end of the announcement... the driver would need to do nothing.

This works great in Europe, where traffic announcements are of high quality (ie meaningful and usable by drivers) and where alternate routing schemes exist that drivers can actually use to get around issues.

This system, while available in the US, is not supported hardly at all, because of a host of reasons, I would imagine:
Commercial US radio relies on you listening to the commercials around the traffic annoucement in anticipation... so autoswitching would effectively cut out the commercials... and reduce comercial time value near traffic annoucements
Most US highways do not have usefull alternate routing possibilities except what local townies might know about, if they even exist.
The traffic annoucements are usually useless to drivers, as identifying where the incident is relative to where you are, is impossible for a driver to do - incidents are not reported by mile markers on highways frequently but relative to surface streets which is practically useless to drivers without a map and time to study it... not good while driving.
Traffic annoucements in the US tend to come on AM stations, while RDBS is for FM broadcasts.

So unless you are in the US and know you have a local RDBS station that gives you useful data.. .just turn TP off in the US.

Outside of the US and most of western Europe (where the announcements are, of course, in the local language), I cannot say how useful it is.

To compensate, at least the 997.2's have the navigation with xm navtraffic service option... however, it will only reroute you IF you have an active route going. It doesn't see that you are driving along I-55 heading north and suggest alternate routes as you approach an incident, in order to continue going north on I-55. You have to look at the traffic incident messages that show up on the map, click them manually and figure out what to do before you get caught up in a traffic jam. Not ideal.

If we could store customized route requests for drives, that would be great (since we sometimes need to reject streets that don't exist in reality, or want to force a specific route because I know something about the best way to go that the nav system doesn't).. but it isn't possible currently afaik.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll have to try it, but not sure why this would affect anything: TP volume is "Traffic Program" volume according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...me-on-pcm.html
right, probably as I thought initially, that it didn't have anything to do with the BT/FM volume discrepancy--Maybe the second part about the volume adaptation worked??

IDK, but am happy that whatever I did, it sounds great (well, not Burmeister great but you know what I mean)

here is a thread from the TT forum also mentioning it https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...n-startup.html
Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

See below:

But when you turned the car back on, did it flip the radio tuner again by default? And you're saying the radio volume was similar level to your Spotify volume?

Yes, it flipped back to the radio and the volume was similar to Spotify.

Maybe it's app-specific. iTunes songs in my playlist are at one volume, but streaming iTunes Radio or Pandora is lower volume for some reason.

Didn't try these two apps, just iTunes and Spotify.

Either way, there are two problems:
1) the switching back to radio by default (no configurable "default" setting. Ideally I'd have it default back to AUX on power cycle even if last used was AUX-BT)
2) the AUX-BT source not having independent volume settings in the PCM from the radio source volume

I agree on both points.

Poor design and QA, Porsche...
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

I believe that the volume adaptation only works on the auxiliary port, not with BT connectivity. The passage above leads me to believe that different phones may handle BT volume differently. I am using an iPhone 6 and have no issues. I even tried iTunes radio with perfect success. That said, if you use the Aux port in the glovebox you should be able to offset volume differences with the volume adaptation feature. You may get better audio quality too.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Odd, my iPhone 6 has the different audio level between Bluetooth and the tuner. Volume is at max in Bluetooth.

Originally Posted by Lodi

I believe that the volume adaptation only works on the auxiliary port, not with BT connectivity. The passage above leads me to believe that different phones may handle BT volume differently. I am using an iPhone 6 and have no issues. I even tried iTunes radio with perfect success. That said, if you use the Aux port in the glovebox you should be able to offset volume differences with the volume adaptation feature. You may get better audio quality too.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Very strange.

Odd, my iPhone 6 has the different audio level between Bluetooth and the tuner. Volume is at max in Bluetooth.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have a Porsche but on my Jeep, while listening to the stereo connected to my iPhone 6 by blue tooth, the volume can be increased by using the volume buttons on the iPhone. Have you tried that?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
I don't have a Porsche but on my Jeep, while listening to the stereo connected to my iPhone 6 by blue tooth, the volume can be increased by using the volume buttons on the iPhone. Have you tried that?
Yeah, volume is cranked up to max. If I just switch sources back and forth between Tuner and Music app or Pandora app, audio volume is always lower on the streamed bluetooth audio.

I need a way to disable the Tuner.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working on this, want to move it to the top, I'm ill equipped.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Still having this issue with my car. I've made it marginally more tolerable now by changing the FM tuner to a "static" in-between station so there is white noise (but less loud) at start-up rather than a radio station until my AUX-BT connects and lets me start streaming.

Anybody else daily drive their GT3 without SAT radio and get driven crazy by this? It's nutty.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 AM
azadian22
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem, my car is a 14 with satellite radio(no service provided though) but use a galaxy s4. Every time I hook up bluetooth I need to turn the volume all the way up on both the phone and car stereo. My car has been parked all winter so I haven't really messed with the settings trying to fix it but I'm interested in a solution as well, I thought I was going to blow a speaker the first time I started the car after streaming on my previous drive.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM
samrajj82
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue on a '15. Glad to know it's not just me that is this particular.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Alright, who has the email address of someone high up in Porsche development that we can all send complaints to?? :P
The following users liked this post:
CayenneCurious (04-11-2021)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump. Any update? My issue is that I'll often be playing a Podcast (through my iPhone and the Podcast App) via Bluetooth AUX. Like most of you, this requires turning the volume on my iPhone to max and the volume on the PCM somewhere close to max. When I get out of the car with my phone to run into QuikTrip or something, while leaving my dog in the car, with the car running and I get far enough away that my Bluetooth disconnects it switches to radio and I'll come back out to my car with Bruno Mars turned up to 11 with my poor pup probably hating me.

There REALLY needs to be an audio adjustment for Bluetooth AUX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those that stream bluetooth audio: any way around the loud radio at start-up??