991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in feel from Turbo S to GT3?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 AM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in feel from Turbo S to GT3?

I've been a fortunate owner of a 2014 Turbo S for over a year and I love it. When I first acquired it I never expected the surge of torque of torque to be so overwhelming and sometimes downright scary. Slowly over time, the feeling has somewhat diminished and been tamed. To compensate for that feeling I installed headers and an exhaust system which made throttle response much better and now gave it an actual noise I enjoy. Turbo lag is still evident when driving in regular mode but is lessened in sport or sport plus. I've always been more of a fan of the look of rawness of the GT3 more than the turbo but I decided to go ahead with the power of the latter as opposed to the GT3. I sometimes regret my decision but quickly forget about when 1.2 bar comes up on the dash
I've recently put a deposit on a GT3 RS and literally can not wait to receive it...however I've never driven a GT3 let alone a normally aspirated 911. My question is somewhat obvious; what are the differences in feel between the two? Steering, ride, throttle response, etc...
I've also heard from a friend who has a Turbo S that when he drove a GT3 he stated that the car does not move when stationary in traffic, unlike the turbo. IS that true?
Thank you in advance
Abdulla
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

You can expect a much lighter, more responsive car. It will feel much more nimble. You won't have the surging seat of your pants feel that a Turbo S (or any high powered turbo car) will give you when it goes into boost. You will have a an exhaust that sounds incredible stock, and a car that will be begged to be driven on the track. (I hope you do for that matter, that's what that RS is made for)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I never driven a Turbo, (I have a GT3), but I have friends that have and love their Turbos and it seems to boil down to the same conclusion:
It is too heavy
It is difficult to apply the correct amount of power
And since it is sooo fast in a strait line they do not need to be so fast in corners, they make up it on the strait. Which they don't enjoy.

This is on the track.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Advanced

I have just returned from a Porsche Australia event at Phillip Island, Victoria. At the event, we have the opportunity to drive both the new 911 Turbo and GT3 at speed around Phillip Island, which is one of the fastest circuits in the world, with some great fast and slow corners.

The is a significant difference between those cars. Going from the GT3 to the Turbo showed just how good the GT3 is as a track car. The Turbo felt heavy, and very soft in comparison. Great road car, mediocre track car compared to the GT3. The GT3 is just a lot more fun.

I have a GT3 991. I have had it just a few days. It is just passable as a daily driver. I also have a Range Rover Evoque and at this stage I am considering keeping the Evoque as a daily driver - very smooth and comfortable - the GT3 even on its softest settings is much harder and noisier, especially over 80klm/hour (tyre noise mainly).

If you intend to track your car, or have two cars (one being a daily driver) then get the GT3. Will also hold its value compared to the Turbo.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Abdulla,

You will see a different product than other 911 including turbo's.
I can give you my feedback from the GT3 compared to the TurboS. it is very different driving experience.
Steering is more precised, ride is more stiffer but still comfortable (for me),
also depends your limit of tolerance but GT are noisy: exhaust, transmission, rattles, etc... it is more raw than 911 TurboS but it feel much more ALIVE!

PDK-S is a different beast compared to TurboS with some specifics well explained in the different threads here. PDK-S will not move till you press the throttle but not only this, faster gearing changed, specific sport mode, neutral trick!

Now, regarding your move to the GT3RS, it is the GT3 of the GT3
not a daily driver, more raw than everything else, much less comfortable as it is designed as a weapon to be enjoyed on the track.

if you have any question, feel free to request!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Like the difference between an acoustic set of U2's Bloody Sunday and one that's fully plugged snd electric.

Both great in their own way but different in more ways than words can do justice to.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a 2014 TT. After test driving a GT3, I was done. Traded it in immediately. Loved my turbo for the same reasons as you, but the GT3 had the dynamics I was looking for. Knew it immediately. And yes, it's true that it doesn't creep forward in traffic. Needs gas.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM
avi8tir
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I started my Porsche career with a Turbo because in 2007, a GT3 was impossible to find for a first time buyer. Turbo's are a blast from a torque perspective but are boring in every other sense compared to a GT3.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will not be able to replace that warp acceleration. The Turbo S can make many fast cars seem almost pedestrian.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome Abdullah!

If you live in the UAE I would definitely go for the RS! Your streets are smoother than most race tracks around the world! And the Yas and Dubai drone are amazing tracks! Been lucky to drive open wheel race cars around both tracks! You'll have so much fun both on and off track with the new RS!
Go for it!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

A few on the board have both. I have a turbo s cab as a daily and I love it, I do love the gt3 more but I can't daily drive the gt3. The turbo s is the best daily you can get. It's civil and handles like no other street car. The gt3 is raw and visceral which is awesome and totally up for track duty.

I can't part with either but if push comes to shove I would rather have the gt3, but only because I gave a Macan turbo as my winter dd. If I only could keep one car (out of 3) I would keep the turbo s.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Anyone know what the 991 GT3 and 991 TT (non-S) do 0-60 and 1/4 mi WITHOUT launch control? I can't even really find many reviews of the non-S TT.

The GT3 while not being touted as a straight-line rocket does 0-60 in ~3.1 and 1/4 in ~11.2 @ 126 mph using LC, right? That's pretty hellacious and as fast as most mags are getting with the new Z06. But I'd like to know what it does without LC (just curious).
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Like the difference between an acoustic set of U2's Bloody Sunday and one that's fully plugged snd electric.

Both great in their own way but different in more ways than words can do justice to.
I like this analogy.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have both and agree with above comments.

I find the GT3 kinda boring at city speeds and roads. My TTS is so much better for DD, comfortable and freaky fast. But soft. The sound and precision of the GT3 on track is fn awesome.

If you are just buying for street, keep TTS.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 AM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

GT3 is a total different driving experience than the turbo. It won't come close in the acceleration dept., but the nimbleness and the exhaust note in the GT3 is something else. Coming off of back to back modded turbos, I certainly don't regret making the switch. A lot of turbo owners spend $$ and time trying to get the turbo to handle more like the GT3. I know I did, but no race shop or tuner can do it with the kind of balance Porsche engineers can IMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in feel from Turbo S to GT3?