Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
rollsroy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

My fashion grey is on Artemis Leader....scheduled to be delivered June 5. Hopefully it gets in a week early.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rollsroy
My fashion grey is on Artemis Leader....scheduled to be delivered June 5. Hopefully it gets in a week early.
Congrats. So which is faster? Signal Green or Fashion Grey?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Funnily enough, this article was published today:
Colour trends: What’s with all the lime green cars?
Birch Green (Porsche 253) is the BEST of the LIME greens

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
So we really don't know if he paid over MSRP for his 'Signal Green' gt3.
His silence on the topic suggests he paid over MSRP, but he probably didn't want to say so as to avoid being lectured by 0to60.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
His silence on the topic suggests he paid over MSRP, but he probably didn't want to say so as to avoid being lectured by 0to60.
Hey bud, that is the second time you called me out ( ignored you each time ) I have never started with you, so why do you feel the need to start with me ? Somehow you feel the need to be the protector of the over MSRP crowd
LOL

Last edited by 0to60; 05-06-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by 0to60
Hey bud, that is the second time you called me out ( ignored you each time ) I have never started with you, so why do you feel the need to start with me ? Somehow you feel the need to be the protector of the over MSRP crowd
LOL
Hey bud! Protector of the over MSRP crowd? You seem have things a bit confused/backward. I have never lectured, criticized or cried about anyone who has paid MSRP or less. I actually don't care what people pay. Nor do I make it my agenda to know their private financial affairs.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ma991

Here's an arena red GT2 I found to hold us over.
It looks great! Arena Red definitely is growing on me, and my anticipation is growing as well. I'll ask my dealer tomorrow to see if there is any update on my car.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
LOL
Oto60: 'Sportscentury' was just pulling your chain in a good humored way. We kid around here all the time. The fact is that very few of us didn't get hit with some sort of markup on these PTS gt3s! Even my deal at Porsche of Beachwood ended up with a $595 Ibex Exterior & Interior Surface Protection charge and a $250 document fee. I declined the Ibex treatment...but was still forced to pay for it! In my case, my salesman Brad Kennett (a good guy) may throw in a set of the LED Euro Side Markers to partially offset the added charges built into the deal by his management. But it doesn't take away from the fact that I had to pay a little over MSRP for the privilege of getting this PTS gt3! When a dealer knows he has you by the short hairs, it's rare when they don't pull just a tad, even if just for kicks! In the scheme of things, the $595 + $250 are small potatoes. But I would have preferred a clean 'at' MSRP deal!

If you (Oto60) got a straight MSRP deal, good for you! Consider yourself lucky. So far, the only guy I know that got the best deal is Mr. G, the guy who ended up getting the 'Signal Green' gt3 allocation at Porsche of San Diego. Not only did he appears to be paying MSRP for his vehicle, but in addition, he was allowed to do 'European Delivery' scheduled for the first week of June! And he was NOT asked to reimburse the dealer for the charge PAG/PCNA will levy on them for that 'ED' - which will be approx. US$3000! So at least this one lucky buyer got the PTS gt3 at a 'discount'...if you take the cost of 'ED' in consideration!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Hey bud! Protector of the over MSRP crowd? You seem have things a bit confused/backward. I have never lectured, criticized or cried about anyone who has paid MSRP or less. I actually don't care what people pay. Nor do I make it my agenda to know their private financial affairs.
Hey bud, re read your posts directed at me. Your half *** wise cracks are unwarranted. Lose the arrogance and move on.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:44 AM
FORENN
Banned

Delete, not worth it.

Last edited by FORENN; 05-07-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Oto60: 'Sportscentury' was just pulling your chain in a good humored way. We kid around here all the time. The fact is that very few of us didn't get hit with some sort of markup on these PTS gt3s! Even my deal at Porsche of Beachwood ended up with a $595 Ibex Exterior & Interior Surface Protection charge and a $250 document fee. I declined the Ibex treatment...but was still forced to pay for it! In my case, my salesman Brad Kennett (a good guy) may throw in a set of the LED Euro Side Markers to partially offset the added charges built into the deal by his management. But it doesn't take away from the fact that I had to pay a little over MSRP for the privilege of getting this PTS gt3! When a dealer knows he has you by the short hairs, it's rare when they don't pull just a tad, even if just for kicks! In the scheme of things, the $595 + $250 are small potatoes. But I would have preferred a clean 'at' MSRP deal!

If you (Oto60) got a straight MSRP deal, good for you! Consider yourself lucky. So far, the only guy I know that got the best deal is Mr. G, the guy who ended up getting the 'Signal Green' gt3 allocation at Porsche of San Diego. Not only did he appears to be paying MSRP for his vehicle, but in addition, he was allowed to do 'European Delivery' scheduled for the first week of June! And he was NOT asked to reimburse the dealer for the charge PAG/PCNA will levy on them for that 'ED' - which will be approx. US$3000! So at least this one lucky buyer got the PTS gt3 at a 'discount'...if you take the cost of 'ED' in consideration!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I agree... it's bad form and often suggests
insecurity and envy.
Eduardo the above quote was directed at me by “sports century”
which I find more than “just pulling my chain”and want noting to do with him.
On the MSRP issue, yes I got a clean MSRP deal. Without the help of my friend, I doubt I would have been able to source a GT3 at MSRP and would have walked instead of paying over MSRP. I am sensitive to the over MSRP issue as I do not have the money/desire to compete with the markup that is caused by the demand. Lets be honest and reconize that it is a competition between the buyers to obtain these GT# especially PTS. I have wanted a GT# for a long time, but walked on every over MSRP deal only to watch somebody swoop in and pay a premium for the car that I wanted. I am patient/opportunistic by nature and that has caused a very long delay of ownership of a GT3. Well the good news is my patience has payed off and I will have my PTS GT3. Enjoy yours, looks great.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

So yes, 'Signal Green' gt3s are definitely faster, anyway you look at it! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
So fast it peeled the paint back to white primer! Congrats Eduardo, great color!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Let's get back on topic...if we may!

Originally Posted by W8MM
Birch Green (Porsche 253) is the BEST of the LIME greens

Well, Mike V., let's talk about that in greater detail since it's a fascinating color topic. A while back, I posted the following information & photos about this subject which is now worth revisiting! The 'Lime Green' color family has a quite interesting history at Porsche. In MY1974, Porsche introduced a color called 'Lichtgrün'/Birch Green', color code #253. It was a stunning color! And it's the color that Henry (JUPJAI) ordered on his beautiful 911 Turbo S cabriolet since it's available via PTS from Porsche today!

Interestingly, Porsche also offered that year another 'Lime Green' color called 'Gelbgrün/Yellow Green', which had color code 137. It is also a beautiful hue!

You can see 'Lichtgrün'/Birch Green', color code #253, compared to 'Gelbgrün/Yellow Green', color code #137, below:

And another famous & historic Porsche 'Lime Green' hue is 'Lindgrün/Chartreuse', color code #226. This was a MY1972/1973 color which was often referred in the US as 'Lime Green':

This color was last used via PTS on a .2 gt3 RS 4.0 LE in 2011:

'Lindgrün' (still with its original color code of 226) is presently under feasibility study at 'Porsche Exclusive' at the request of Rennlister 'Green Lantern' via Brett Payne at Sonnen Porsche in Marin County, CA.

We are all extremely lucky to be able to order today via PTS either ''Lichtgrün'/Birch Green' and/or ''Gelbgrün/Yellow Green'! Both are truly stunning colors! And perhaps soon we might have the opportunity to also get 'Lindgrün/Chartreuse'.

Now to a bit of fascinating historical trivia re: colors of the 1974 IROC 911 RSR's:

Rennlister W8MM (Mike V.) was the former owner of 991 460 0040 which was painted by the factory in 'Light Green'.

Supposedly there were at least three greens IROC cars, although I only see two versions of 'green' in the photos above:

911 460 0037 Engine 684 0027, Pistachio Green
911 460 0040 Engine 684 0023, Light Green
911 460 0042 Engine 684 0025, Bright Green

And this ad list one of the IROC cars by its proper Porsche name - 'Birch Green', which is color code 253:

Mike: Why don't you tell us more about the color of your old IROC RSR and show us photos, etc? Plus any other color information you might have on any of the other IROC Porsches, especially the 'Green' ones? Thank you in advance for any assistance & info you can provide us re: this topic on our forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 05-07-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling of Henry's handle - JUPJAI not JUPJAY!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, Mike V., let's talk about that in greater detail since it's a fascinating color topic.

Now to a bit of fascinating historical trivia re: colors of the 1974 IROC 911 RSR's:

Rennlister W8MM (Mike V.) was the former owner of 911 460 0040 which was painted by the factory in 'Light Green'.

Supposedly there were at least three greens IROC cars, although I only see two versions of 'green' in the photos above:

911 460 0037 Engine 684 0027, Pistachio Green
911 460 0040 Engine 684 0023, Light Green
911 460 0042 Engine 684 0025, Bright Green

And this ad list one of the IROC cars by its proper Porsche name - 'Birch Green', which is color code 253:

Mike: Why don't you tell us more about the color of your old IROC RSR and show us photos, etc? Plus any other color information you might have on any of the other IROC Porsches, especially the 'Green' ones? Thank you in advance for any assistance & info you can provide us re: this topic on our forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo,

I only know about 911 460 0040 in any detail, but I'll add what I can.

The reason there are only two green (pistachio & bright) cars in the parking lot photo above is that there are only 12 cars in that picture -- not the full 15 produced. My 0040 was a practice car, driven by everyone (sooner or later), as spelled out in that antique Stoddard advert, and not one of the 12 "race" cars.

Color photos from the day are quite unreliable for color fidelity. Magazine shots taken in KodaColor had the tendency to suppress the blue component compared to real life. As a result, Birch green came out looking pretty yellow. KodaChrome transparencies had a pumped up blue level (compared to real life) and looked more green. Early digital photos taken while I had the car were also a crap shoot as to the recorded hue.

Birch green was VERY difficult to faithfully record the hue until very recently. When I want to remember the exact hue of Birch green, I walk out to the garage, go up to the loft, and pick up a piece of the fiberglass bumper I still have post-crash repair. Then I can be sure. I broke off a small piece of it that fits in my shirt pocket if I need to take it with me

So, no need to show less than faithful pix just to confuse the issue. Showing great shots of paint paddles is better.

OT: The practice vs race provenance might be a bit muddy since some references indicate that 0040 may have been pressed into service at one of the later Riverside races to temporarily replace a crash-damaged member of the original "race 12".

More OT: Both photos above show all the cars in the "duck tail" configuration -- in which they were never raced. They were all converted to the "whale tail" after USA testing found they needed more rear downforce. The Riverside configuration was modified for Daytona because of the high speed banking. The whale tail was further amplified by the addition of a form fit black anodized aluminum "wicker bill" or "Gurney lip" that stuck up from the trailing edge of the wing. The suspension was also tweaked for the effects of the constant and heavy aero loading while circulating the banking.

Last edited by W8MM; 05-07-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
FORENN
Banned

Outstanding!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!